Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: How should we spell "ebook"?
ebook 56 50.00%
e-book 25 22.32%
eBook 31 27.68%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2008, 10:35 PM   #46
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
I guess for speaking in English and other languages; but some languages there is no spacingbetweenwords;forexampleinjapanese. Even when I type romanji to a friend I never space between words and they have no problem understanding it. It just takes time to get used too...

IE. Latin had no spacing between words... So the Romans would say email.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
Personally, I prefer e-book, but that's because it follows broadcasting reading practices. I read a lot of stuff on air at the radio station I work at. The dash makes it easier for me to pronounce. I can understand the apple "iBefore everything" hook as a marketing scheme, but it does kind of irk me when I've got to read about such a product on the air.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #47
plantedbypiggies
oink!
plantedbypiggies doesn't litterplantedbypiggies doesn't litter

Device: Ebookwise 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I guess for speaking in English and other languages; but some languages there is no spacingbetweenwords;forexampleinjapanese. Even when I type romanji to a friend I never space between words and they have no problem understanding it. It just takes time to get used too...

Of course for English. I'm sure Japanese has its own broadcast writing standards. Latin's a dead language for all intents and purposes, so that's kind of a moot point. All Latin based languages these days (French, Spanish, etc.) follow English style spacing styles.
plantedbypiggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 05:42 PM   #48
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by hidari View Post
I can't speak for Asian languages, but in European languages innovations like interword separation, miniscule letter-forms, and rich punctuation sets greatly increased legibility. IWOULDHATETOREADTEXTLIKETHISALLDAY.ITWOULDPROBABLY DRIVEMEQUITEQUITEMAD.

So “e-book” for me. :-)
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM   #49
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by plantedbypiggies View Post
Latin's a dead language for all intents and purposes, so that's kind of a moot point.
Latin's a dead language,
As dead as it can be.
First it killed the Romans,
Now it's after me.

-- unknown
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #50
Richard Herley
Author
Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richard Herley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Dead? If you speak English, you use it every day!
Richard Herley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #51
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
or if you speak french, too...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:30 PM   #52
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Herley View Post
Heh, English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as it waits 'til they get drunk, lures them down dark allies, knocks them on the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.

Wish I could remember who it was that said that originally.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:58 PM   #53
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Heh, English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as it waits 'til they get drunk, lures them down dark allies, knocks them on the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary.

Wish I could remember who it was that said that originally.
I believe the quote came from Booker T. Washington.
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:04 PM   #54
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Personally, regarding crazy grammar-word formations, one cannot beat German. Dang! Just forgot that milch-cow-big-combine dealie word. In German one would request the toolforturningthreadedotherdevices. In English, I say "hey, hand me that wrench."

Seriously. The device we use that replicates a book is a book. Since it is "electronic," and Americans love to abbreviate words, said device is an "E(lectronic)book." Foucalt and Derrida might have something to say about naming a device a "reader."

'Course, I'm a sentient squid from another dimension. What do I know?
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #55
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
LQQK!! It's an eBQQK...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:55 AM   #56
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madam Broshkina View Post
I believe the quote came from Booker T. Washington.
Excellent! Yes, thank you, Madam.

With your help, I found the original statement:
Quote:
We don't just borrow words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
Amusingly enough, the first Google result on the search was this very thread.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:58 AM   #57
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
It's not Booker T Washington. You first heard it from me, on this forum. I was quoting James D. Nicoll:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #58
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
You first heard it from me, on this forum.
'fraid not, Nate.

I've heard that quote tossed around many years before I met you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I was quoting James D. Nicoll:

"The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow
words; on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
to beat them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary."
Mr. Nicoll apparently did say it too, but since he wasn't born until 1961, and Mr. Washington died in 1915, I think he probably has prior claim to it.

Unless of course someone knows definitively that Mr. Washington didn't say it ... I certainly don't know of my own knowledge either way.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #59
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
here we go...
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:19 PM   #60
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This quote has also been mis-attributed to a number of other people, including Mark Twain. Can you find an original source for the quote?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote