Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 12:19 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
My Favorite/Recommended Short Stories - Please tell me yours!

I just made up/revised this list due to a request on another forum. These are my favorites. What are yours?

The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas - Ursala K LeGuin (Incredible Story)
The Story of Your Life - Ted Chiang (also Hell is the Absence of God...and others he is an excellent short story writer)
Wild Horses - Rick Bass
Frost and Fire - Ray Bradbury
The Jilting of Granny Weatherall - Katherine Anne Porter
Rescue Party - Arthur C Clarke
The Star - Issac Asimov
A Rose for Ecclesiastes - Roger Zelaxny
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
Cathedral - Raymond Carver
Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes
The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
The Fall of the House of Usher, The Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart - Edgar Allen Poe
A Boy and His Dog - Harlan Ellison
An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
The Hills like White Elephants, The End of Something and A Clean Well Lighted Place - Hemingway
A Rose for Emily - Faulkner

Last edited by kennyc; 10-05-2011 at 06:06 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:24 PM   #2
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Katherine Mansfield - The Garden Party
Lee Smith - Any story found in her collection Cakewalk, but specifically "Georgia Rose"
Neil Gaiman - A Study in Emerald
astrangerhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:32 PM   #3
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Rain by W. Somerset Maugham
Leiningen versus the Ants by Carl Stephenson
Rocking-Horse Winner by D. H. Lawrence
The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain
The Cask of Amontillado by Edgar Allan Poe
The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
The Gift of the Magi by O. Henry
The Monkey's Paw by W. W. Jacobs
The Most Dangerous Game by Richard Connell
Dark They Were and Golden-eyed by Ray Bradbury
The Jar by Ray Bradbury
Any Friend of Nicholas Nickleby Is A Friend of Mine by Ray Bradbury
Mimsy Were the Borogoves by Lewis Padgett
The Little Black Bag by C. M. Kornbluth
Born of Man and Woman by Richard Matheson
Bottle Party by John Collier
Season of Mists by John Collier
The Stains by Robert Aickman
Silent Snow, Secret Snow by Conrad Aiken
Babette's Feast by Isak Dinesan
All Seated on the Ground by Connie Willis
It's A Good Life by Jerome Bixby

Last edited by BenG; 10-18-2010 at 01:40 PM.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:42 PM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys .... several for me to check out already...
Old 10-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #5
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Charley, The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
Charly (or Flowers for Algernon) was written by (I think) Daniel Keyes.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
Charly (or Flowers for Algernon) was written by (I think) Daniel Keyes.
You are right...not sure where that slipped in from...I think that may have slipped in from another list I used to make this. There is a short story by Jackson called Charles ... I think that is the one I meant, but for the life of me it is not ringing any bells that I've even read it. But I did add Flowers for Algernon....great story!

Last edited by kennyc; 10-18-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #7
DavidRM
Addict
DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidRM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
"Enders Game" by Orson Scott Card
"The Swimmer" by John Cheever
"Reave the Just" by Stephen R. Donaldson
"The Healer" by Aimee Bender

I'm a huge fan of the anthology: The Are of the Short Story edited by Dana Gioia and R. S. Gwynn.

-David
DavidRM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #8
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
1. Adam's Covers by Willie Qwit and Betty Will.
2. Library Window by Margaret Oliphant
3. Strange case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

Last edited by Nexutix; 10-18-2010 at 08:46 PM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
Dolan's Cadillac - Stephen King
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
It's been a while since I read short stories...

I remember laughing to tears reading the works of Saki (I think it was The Complete Saki published by Penguin). It's one of the few books that survived my moving to Japan, mainly because they were at my parents' house when I sold all the books I had in my apartment. I keep meaning to read them again but haven't done so for several years.

Also, I read a book of short stories (Self-Help) by Lorrie Moore, again many years ago, and liked them a lot at the time.

I have heard of Raymond Carver as a great writer of short stories, but I don't think I have read any of his works.

Finally, I'm not sure this counts as short stories but Cannery Row and Tortilla Flat by John Steinbeck are, as I remember, a great collection of stories about people living in Monterey, California.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
I remember laughing to tears reading the works of Saki
I completely agree with you - Saki is laugh out loud hilarious.
IMHO - Esme is THE funniest short story I've ever read.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:26 AM   #12
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Oh, I just read the name Isak Dinesen in your list, Ben. How could I forget? Karen Blixen's Winter Tales and Gothic Tales, of course! Pure gems! Although it's been so long since I read them too. I should re-read them, this time in English.

Last edited by FlorenceArt; 10-19-2010 at 11:31 AM.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #13
BenG
Home Guard

If you like Saki, you would like John Collier too. His collection of stories published as Fancies and Goodnights shows him to be one of the great short story writers. Evening Primrose is his best known story. It won both an International Fantasy Award and an Edgar Award in 1952.

http://www.amazon.com/Fancies-Goodni.../dp/1590170512

Click on "I'd like to read this on a Kindle" while you are there.

Last edited by BenG; 03-30-2011 at 12:00 AM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:03 AM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Interior Space, John Irving
The Tell-Tale Heart, Poe
I, Row Boat, Cory Doctorow
Mrs. Todd's Shortcut, Stephen King
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:19 AM   #15
BenG
Home Guard

A few more.

Or All the Seas with Oysters by Avram Davidson (there's a reason you never can find a pin but have too many coat hangers)

Space-Time for Springers by Fritz Leiber (My all time favorite cat story)

Vintage Season, by Henry Kuttner and C. L. Moore

The Demon Pope by Richard Garnett (available in his collection, Twilight of the Gods, on Project Gutenberg)

The October Game by Ray Bradbury

The Repairer of Reputations by Robert W. Chambers (available as LRF in the King in Yellow postedby Dr Drib)

Yours Truly, Jack the Ripper by Robert Bloch

The Pigeons from Hell by Robert E, Howard (available on MR)

The Devil and Daniel Webster by Stephen Vincent Benet (available on MR)