Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 05-14-2024, 07:47 AM   #1
dandman
dandman began at the beginning.

Device: none
import changes foreign language to nonsense words

when i add books from a folder that have name in UTF8 characters (non english names) the add process identify perfectly the author, book name, metadata, cover ... etc.

but when i look at the folder of that book i see the name of the file was changed as if it tried to translate it, but the words of the name and author means nothing

can the rename process be disabled ?

i am on a windows 10 PC with portable version 7.10.0
dandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 08:08 AM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandman View Post
when i add books from a folder that have name in UTF8 characters (non english names) the add process identify perfectly the author, book name, metadata, cover ... etc.

but when i look at the folder of that book i see the name of the file was changed as if it tried to translate it, but the words of the name and author means nothing

can the rename process be disabled ?
No.

See ==>> Want to change folder structure or file names in the Calibre library? and ==>> Why doesn’t calibre let me store books in my own folder structure?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-14-2024, 08:19 AM   #3
dandman
dandman began at the beginning.

thanks for the prompt response, but both link you provided talked about the folder structure and not the file name,

if the file name becomes nonsense then it is a data i loose, i have gigs of books, i don't want to import export just to get them back in the proper name, and i don't want to keep 2 copies just to allow caliber to hold its own name,

since this is not possible, is it possible to have caliber not "copy" the files but to maintain a link to the original files ?

i understand that this issue was talked about allot in the forum (from the links you sent), but i am asking if it is possible, not suggesting to change the way the app works,

thanks again for helping
dandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 12:05 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
thanks for the prompt response, but both link you provided talked about the folder structure and not the file name,

if the file name becomes nonsense then it is a data i loose, i have gigs of books, i don't want to import export just to get them back in the proper name, and i don't want to keep 2 copies just to allow caliber to hold its own name,

since this is not possible, is it possible to have caliber not "copy" the files but to maintain a link to the original files ?

i understand that this issue was talked about allot in the forum (from the links you sent), but i am asking if it is possible, not suggesting to change the way the app works,

thanks again for helping
Simple Answer: No
Advanced answer: Mostly no... BUT there is a plugin that logs the original name in a custom column. (DURING ADD)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=278559

Calibre can offer sooooooooo much more metadata than can be saved in a file name.
But ADD Books was where you could recover some from the file name (BUT NOT the path) by adjusting the template. This assumes your names are consistant.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:16 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thanks for the prompt response, but both link you provided talked about the folder structure and not the file name.
Calibre is a multi-platform application, that means a combination of an Operating System -- Windows, MacOS or Linux, and a File System -- NTFS, APFS, HFS+, Ext2, Ext3, Ext4, NFS, exFat, FAT32 etc.

Some platforms only support 7 bit ASCII characters in directory & file names, others disallow certain characters, others have path length limitations, some are case sensitive … and some of those constraints on some platforms are user configurable.

In practice developing an application that provided native support for the dozens of practical combinations would be a nightmare. Hence, the decision to use a pragmatic lowest common denominator approach was taken at the outset of calibre's development.

Quote:
if the file name becomes nonsense then it is a data i loose, i have gigs of books, i don't want to import export just to get them back in the proper name, and i don't want to keep 2 copies just to allow caliber to hold its own name
The GetFileName plugin will store any combination of the original file path, file name, extension and file system modified date in custom columns.

The Save to Disk feature uses a 'template' that specifies the file path in terms of the metadata columns.

Quote:
Short answer - No.

The problem with 'links' is that in some cases they're impractical, in other cases they're fragile, in other cases it would be a misuse. Hardlinks must be on the same 'drive', calibre supports having a library database (catalogue) and its subdirectories (shelves) on different 'drives'. Symbolic links can break if a directory or file is moved, deleted, or renamed. To use Windows shortcuts or MacOS aliases would be a misuse - they 'belong' to the operating system.

Quote:
Calibre is driven by its library database. In an ideal world the book files and cover images would be stored in the database, but for performance reasons that's impractical… hence the author and book folders.

If you want to keep a copy of the original file in its pristine state with its original name you might want to consider moving it to the book's 'data' folder… after adding it to the library.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 05-14-2024 at 08:11 PM. Reason: grammar
Advert
Old 05-15-2024, 02:20 AM   #6
capink
Wizard
capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.capink ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I think adding a section about using GetFileName plugin to the sticky thread, explaining how to use the plugin to save filename to custom columns, and how to restore the file to its original name and directory structure using Save to Disk templates, will go a long way in easing people's initial apprehension of using calibre.
capink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 10:09 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by capink View Post
I think adding a section about using GetFileName plugin to the sticky thread, explaining how to use the plugin to save filename to custom columns, and how to restore the file to its original name and directory structure using Save to Disk templates, will go a long way in easing people's initial apprehension of using calibre.
Sorry, but stickies are already a bit over used. Besides, they are intended for more General Topic use, not a specific PI.

It is the younger generation that seems to have the filename obsession, not those of us that grew up with the Card Catalog out on the floor of our local Library.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:44 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Also metadata is so much nicer than filenames. Pretend the files in "Calibre Library" don't exist!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 02:55 PM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
People need to think of the calibre Library as a database, a black box, and stop looking under the covers.

Sent from my Pixel 7a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 07:01 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Sorry, but stickies are already a bit over used. Besides, they are intended for more General Topic use, not a specific PI.

The GFN developer & I posted replies in the PI thread about how a Save to Disk template can use the custom column in which the file name is stored. Don't have to look far they're on the second page of the thread.

BR

Tags
add, import books, rename