Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 03-19-2018, 09:25 AM   #27001
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Just finished "Hour Game" by David Baldacci, the second book in the "King and Maxwell" series [...]!

I've also recently finished "Queen of Demons",[...]

Also "Silks", by Dick Francis and Felix Francis. [...]
I've certainly read the first two, and I think I've read the third. I agree - all three are books in highly readable series. All are recommended by me too.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #27002
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Most enjoyable, although I've given 4/5 because of some silly digressions in character voice on the derivation of some English words.

Then I read "A Wrinkle in Time" by Madeleine L'Engle. Not what I expected, but a good, quick read. It seems that the others in the quintet are not yet available in ebook format.

Now for "The Clocks" by Agatha Christie.
All the L'Engle books are currently available in Canada in ebook format.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:57 AM   #27003
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
I succumbed to a "bargain" bundle, and ended up with 7 books for a reasonable price if I like and read all of them. Bad decision, but there it is. The first I'm reading from this bundle is Spots the Space Marine: Defense of the Fiddler, by M.C.A. Hogarth. OK, not great. The writing style definitely put me off at the beginning, but I've gotten past that and am enjoying it. This will be a 3 star read. OK, but not compelling. And not at all challenging or enlightening.
So, so. 3 stars. Worth reading, but not in any hurry to read another by her. OTOH, maybe, if there's a sale on or some such.

Next up, A Call to Arms and A Call to Vengence, by David Weber, et al. I've got mixed feelings about these, having read the first several years ago. And it's clear that Weber is spending way more time on political intrigue and far less time on the actual story than I would prefer. But we'll see. Most Weber books manage to be worth reading even when they are way too heavy on the politics and the military minutia.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 12:41 PM   #27004
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
I may have Call to Duty somewhere, but I haven't read it. I didn't like the way the story was going after the the first big enemy was defeated in the original series, so I haven't read beyond say book five or six recently.

On the same genre, finished Lines of Departure by Marko Kloos. Second book of his series, and I must say, the author certainly does not pull many punches. Will definitely be reading book three.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 07:14 PM   #27005
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Next up, I am going to finish A Call to Arms and A Call to Vengeance. If only I could remember what happened in A Call to Duty it has been a while.

Can anyone who has read A Call to Vengeance (lookin' at you pdurrant!) let me know if it ends? I thought the intent in the beginning was to be just 3 books but since Honor Harrington was only going be 5 books you never know
From elsewhere:
"It is believed in Weber Forums (http://forums.davidweber.net/) that David has planned four more books in the Manticore Ascendant series"
Old 03-20-2018, 04:56 AM   #27006
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Can anyone who has read A Call to Vengeance (lookin' at you pdurrant!) let me know if it ends? I thought the intent in the beginning was to be just 3 books but since Honor Harrington was only going be 5 books you never know
It has some endings, but I didn't feel the story was finished. I suspect there's going to be more.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 09:45 AM   #27007
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Well thanks for the info CRussel and pdurrant.....Weber is really pushing it. I am still reading Honor Harrington but gave up early on Safehold. I like the books (except the last Honor Harrington that was a complete rehash from a different POV) but having a final end in sight would be nice.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 03:37 PM   #27008
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Next, something from Piers Anthony whatever my library has available.
Decided on A Spell For Chameleon by Piers Anthony. I'll admit the title threw me off until the end of the book. This was a fun romp through Xanth. Surprises at every turn. Comical at times, for example, "sowing wild oats." However, the emphasis on female beauty or ugliness and intelligence or stupidity was not, in my opinion, very pleasant. Blink was too immature for a 25 year old man. He acted more like 17. I suppose this may have been the author's intent for a fantasy published in 1977. Rated B- [4 stars].

Next is another library book, The Last Dragonslayer by Jasper Fforde.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:37 AM   #27009
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Finished The Secret History of Wonder Woman by Jill Lepore, which isn't so secret anymore. Interesting, to say the least.

I'm halfway through Angles of Attack by Marko Kloos.

I need to squeeze some fantasy in sometime soon.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:42 AM   #27010
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Finished Angles of Attack, which was good, though there were a few editorial issues, in particular an unfortunate page where the handcuffs were removed twice in successive paragraphs. Overall, though, enjoyable and I will likely purchase the remaining two books in the series.

After that, I read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World by Shannon Hale. Novel, not graphic (in any meaning of the word). Hilarious. Really, I was giggling throughout the book. This is a Marvel character (actually, pretty much the most powerful character in the Marvel comic universe, as she is literally unbeatable) and so there are references and such to other superheroes (whom we have met through the movies), and so a little fangirling happens, so there is that.

ow, I have begun Whiskey Sour by J. A. Konrath, who cameoed in another series of books by Konrath and Ann Voss Peterson, the Codename Chandler trilogy. I liked that set of books, so I thought I'd see how the Jack Daniels books began. So far, I like it-- 13% in an dI've already chuckled a few times and the bad is already creepy/scary AF.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #27011
bizzybody
Addict
bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bizzybody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various PalmOS PDAs, Android Phones, Sharper Image Literati
After finishing up the Breakers series I went on to Edward W Robinson's Rebel Stars series. Decided to take a break from Sci-Fi after book 3 and got Tier One by Andrews & Wilson.

Some gung-ho ooorah special forces novel. Hits all the tick boxes on weapons, tactics, acronym overload etc. But then during an attack on a big meeting of Al Queda bigwigs they flubbed it big time with infra red cameras that can see people walking around inside buildings.

GAAAAAAH! Nooooo! That's not how it works. IR cannot see through roofs or walls. It can't even see through ordinary window glass. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjjdwLFNIM

If you're writing a story, military, police etc. that involves IR, do it *right*, not like Hawaii Five-0.

So I put Tier One in the penalty box for realism fail and went on to Book 4 of the Rebel Stars series.
bizzybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:00 PM   #27012
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I am Reading "Never have your dog stuffed and other things i've learned" by Alan Alda. I do not know why i bought it but its a very good book with funny stories about his life. I am also reading Desperation by Stephen King. I only read one chapter so far and I am creeped out I am still trying to read the trump book Fire and Fury, It is good as well. Talks about how incompetent Trump is lol
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:03 AM   #27013
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
I've just started The Ashes of London, a Historical set against the great London fire. Enjoying it so far.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 11:32 AM   #27014
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Next up, A Call to Arms and A Call to Vengence, by David Weber, et al. I've got mixed feelings about these, having read the first several years ago. And it's clear that Weber is spending way more time on political intrigue and far less time on the actual story than I would prefer. But we'll see. Most Weber books manage to be worth reading even when they are way too heavy on the politics and the military minutia.
Better than some of the recent mainline books, probably because there was less Weber and more from the secondary authors. Way less detailed (and boring) descriptions of armaments and ship characteristics, and more actual inter-personal interaction. Still too much political infighting, but I'm resigned to that.

Not sure what I'm reading next. For now, I'll finish listening to Flashman, while I think about what to read on my Kindle.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #27015
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Dngrsone wrote the following as part of a post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrsone View Post
After that, I read The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: Squirrel Meets World by Shannon Hale. Novel, not graphic (in any meaning of the word). Hilarious. Really, I was giggling throughout the book. This is a Marvel character (actually, pretty much the most powerful character in the Marvel comic universe, as she is literally unbeatable) and so there are references and such to other superheroes (whom we have met through the movies), and so a little fangirling happens, so there is that.
Your post reminded me of a book I recently read, also by Shannon Hale: Ever After High - The Storybook Of Legends. A novelization of the first story arc of the animated series, it is an excellent read, and adds depth to the story. I will give another read along with her other books in the series (she has written three total).

BTW, I just checked Wikipedia and she has written a sequel to the Squirrel Girl novel you mentioned above: The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl: 2 Fuzzy, 2 Furious.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote