Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 03:14 PM   #706
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I really like the cover. I can set it up on the arm of the chair, and knit and read at the same time.
Wow, that's impressive! I can watch knit while watching TV, but I don't think I could knit and read at the same time. I do like to listen to audiobooks while I knit, however.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:56 PM   #707
mkstewartesq
mkstewartesq began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Hi - first time poster, longtime lurker. I've had a Kindle since 2008- first the 2nd gen, then the Kindle Keyboard, then a 1st Gen Paperwhite, After 5 years with that, I decided to jump to the Oasis 2.

I have to say that, while the screen is miles better than my Paperwhite, I am disappointed in the quality control and variances in stock. I received my Oasis 2 a few days ago, and noted that the screen was a bit uneven; further, the aluminum case was very slightly bent, which I assume contributed to the screen lighting being a bit uneven. Amazon shipped me a replacement but, when comparing the two, the new screen is actually worse - more washed out, with a different color temperature and slightly more dim. So i'm definitely going to return the second- and, though I hate to be stuck with the first with its defects for the money paid, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by trying a third time.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Mike

Edited to add - tried to upload pic, but don't see an option to upload a local file (I'm a newbie - I'll look). But, just to be clear, when comparing the screens, I set the exact same brightness,same book page, same font and spacing to keep the comparison completely apples-to-apples. Which is why I was surprised at the difference.

Last edited by mkstewartesq; 01-19-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Additions
mkstewartesq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 05:31 PM   #708
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
( I think you have to have 5 posts, before you can upload a picture. )
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:12 PM   #709
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I like the larger screen size on the Oasis, but I didn't think the Oasis 2 had that much better of a screen, compared to my Paperwhite; aside from the size.

They both have the same PPI; and the contrast levels are only marginally better on the Oasis 2.

On a different note, the older Paperwhites, with 212PPI screens, can be gotten for as low as $51 (half the price of a 300PPI Paperwhite) on Amazon here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00JG8GOWU/

It's actually a great deal if your eyes aren't the best anymore, and you can't see the difference between 300PPI and 212PPI anyway.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:49 PM   #710
Dave M
Dave M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I got my Oasis 2 at the weekend and the only thing that’s bugging me is the lack of good case options. I got the Casebot “leather" case but it definitely does not smell of leather.

I can’t find anyone else complaining of the lack of cases so I’m posting here to ask what cases/sleeves you use, or do you not use a case? I’m thinking I might go case less for once?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:01 PM   #711
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post
I got my Oasis 2 at the weekend and the only thing that’s bugging me is the lack of good case options. I got the Casebot “leather" case but it definitely does not smell of leather.

I can’t find anyone else complaining of the lack of cases so I’m posting here to ask what cases/sleeves you use, or do you not use a case? I’m thinking I might go case less for once?

I got mine on ebay looks exactly like the casebot but only $8.99. Fake leather but looks great. Got brown and hunter green. We have a ton of different cases on ebay all inexpensive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	162920   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0426.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	162921   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0427.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	162922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_200724.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	178.8 KB
ID:	162923   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180111_200732.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	179.5 KB
ID:	162924  

Last edited by HLS; 03-19-2018 at 08:06 PM.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #712
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkstewartesq View Post
Hi - first time poster, longtime lurker. I've had a Kindle since 2008- first the 2nd gen, then the Kindle Keyboard, then a 1st Gen Paperwhite, After 5 years with that, I decided to jump to the Oasis 2.

I have to say that, while the screen is miles better than my Paperwhite, I am disappointed in the quality control and variances in stock. I received my Oasis 2 a few days ago, and noted that the screen was a bit uneven; further, the aluminum case was very slightly bent, which I assume contributed to the screen lighting being a bit uneven. Amazon shipped me a replacement but, when comparing the two, the new screen is actually worse - more washed out, with a different color temperature and slightly more dim. So i'm definitely going to return the second- and, though I hate to be stuck with the first with its defects for the money paid, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by trying a third time.

Any thoughts?

Best,
Mike

Edited to add - tried to upload pic, but don't see an option to upload a local file (I'm a newbie - I'll look). But, just to be clear, when comparing the screens, I set the exact same brightness,same book page, same font and spacing to keep the comparison completely apples-to-apples. Which is why I was surprised at the difference.

Sounds like you need to return the replacement.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:49 AM   #713
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave M View Post

I still haven't seen anyone selling the kind I prefer -- a simple neoprene sleeve. For now mine is swimming around in old one I had for something bigger.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 01:23 PM   #714
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
I still haven't seen anyone selling the kind I prefer -- a simple neoprene sleeve. For now mine is swimming around in old one I had for something bigger.
How about this:
https://www.amazon.com/WALNEW-Kindle-Sleeve-Protective-Generation/dp/B076H11FL7/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_sims?ie=UTF8
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:34 PM   #715
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, that's closest I've been able to find. What I really want is like this:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01L1PI0OU/

But so far nothing for the latest Oasis.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:49 PM   #716
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
How do the Oasis's dimensions compare with other devices? Perhaps a similar sleeve for an iPad (or mini), or a PC similar gadge, or even an Amazon Fire, might fit??
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #717
Dave M

Yeah, I’ve ordered that one today 👍

Old 03-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #718
lkmiller
Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
How do the Oasis's dimensions compare with other devices? Perhaps a similar sleeve for an iPad (or mini), or a PC similar gadge, or even an Amazon Fire, might fit??
The Oasis 2 is more square than other devices. Right now the one I'm using is intend for an iPad mini. Fits pretty good width-wise, but is a lot taller than necessary. Not really a problem. I'm just surprised they still don't have them. I guess most people want book-style cases.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:32 PM   #719
Dave M

I loved the Amazon leather case on my Oasis 1 and wish they did one similar for the new Oasis. Seeing that they don’t has made me think about using without a case and popping it in a sleeve when not in use.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:14 PM   #720
Plumadona
Groupie
Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Plumadona ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle HD6, Kindle PW2, Sony PRS-T1, Nook NE1
I have this case; might work for you as well:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Fits a bit better than the vertical padded cases (less than two inches wider) and very well padded. I also like the outside pocket.
Plumadona is offline   Reply With Quote