Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #691
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This is a case where you have paid to read the book, but have not paid to own a copy permanently.

In Kindle Unlimited authors are paid monthly by the number of pages read. The Kindle software keeps track of this information. If you export the book to another platform and read it there then the author receives no credit for you having read that book.
If you flick through every page till the end of the ku book on your kindle will the author get full payment?
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 09:07 PM   #692
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamaman View Post
If you flick through every page till the end of the ku book on your kindle will the author get full payment?
As much as he will get for a full read (which is not the same as the full purchase price when outright buying the book). Even a partial read (giving up after half the book) will give a partial payout. The exact rules are not public, there have been too many abusing the system. But it is necessary to read it in app or on Kindle for the progress being registered.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:26 AM   #693
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragginp View Post
I'm confused. How is using the tools to remove DRM from a book so that you can read it on another device 'stealing from authors' if you already paid for the book?
Sorry for the confusion. I'm a big advocate of removing DRM from books you've purchased. But not from loans, rentals, or subscriptions where you aren't intended to keep the book indefinitely.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #694
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
This is a case where you have paid to read the book, but have not paid to own a copy permanently.

In Kindle Unlimited authors are paid monthly by the number of pages read. The Kindle software keeps track of this information. If you export the book to another platform and read it there then the author receives no credit for you having read that book.
Which leads me to a question I still don't know the answer to. When I, as a KU subscriber, choose the option "Download and transfer via USB", and I put that downloaded book on to my Voyage, and delete manually when done, as I seldom, if ever, put the wi-fi on, does that mean the author would never get credit for that book? Or does using the download option automatically confer 100% pages read for the book? If not, why is that option available for KU books? That option seems specifically designed for users who, like me, don't like to use wi-fi on their device.

(In my case, to make sure the author gets credit, I also d/l into Kindle for PC and jump to the end).
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM   #695
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I would suspect that when you do connect to wifi, sync would take care of the issue.
If you delete it, read or not, the progress is saved in some or another file, and shared with Ama-servers.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:10 PM   #696
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I would suspect that when you do connect to wifi, sync would take care of the issue.
If you delete it, read or not, the progress is saved in some or another file, and shared with Ama-servers.
I'm not a KU subscriber, but I do see Booklover's point. My Voyage is in airplane mode permanently. Books I buy from Amazon are downloaded and transferred via USB. When I finish a book, I delete it from the Kindle. Since my Kindle is permanently in airplane mode, there will never be a chance for the stats to be synced to Amazon's servers, so Booklover's question still remains--how would the author get credit for pages read in the case of a KU book?
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:40 PM   #697
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I'm not a KU subscriber, but I do see Booklover's point. My Voyage is in airplane mode permanently. Books I buy from Amazon are downloaded and transferred via USB. When I finish a book, I delete it from the Kindle. Since my Kindle is permanently in airplane mode, there will never be a chance for the stats to be synced to Amazon's servers, so Booklover's question still remains--how would the author get credit for pages read in the case of a KU book?
Precisely. I don't as a rule ever turn on the wifi. I hope that they give full credit for this type of download, otherwise why allow them? But who really knows.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 12:44 PM   #698
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Wouldn't get paid. On average it will average out. Unless some authors attract only readers that always have wifi off (e.g. conspiracy type big brother books). Normal use case is to only use the usb cable to charge. It is just easy enough to shop on the Kindle, or when shopping on computer to send to device.

Borrowing from KU from device has gotten simpler too. If you already have all 10 slots full it will ask if you want to return one with a popup of the 10 books.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 01:17 PM   #699
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I'm a big advocate of removing DRM from books you've purchased. But not from loans, rentals, or subscriptions where you aren't intended to keep the book indefinitely.

I think some considered stealing for after you remove the DRM you can then just give away copies or sell copies yourself. So in that senerio it is illegal and stealing.

I think when you buy an ebook they should find away to let you load one copy to an alternate ereader somehow.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 03:47 PM   #700
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Which leads me to a question I still don't know the answer to. When I, as a KU subscriber, choose the option "Download and transfer via USB", and I put that downloaded book on to my Voyage, and delete manually when done, as I seldom, if ever, put the wi-fi on, does that mean the author would never get credit for that book? Or does using the download option automatically confer 100% pages read for the book? If not, why is that option available for KU books? That option seems specifically designed for users who, like me, don't like to use wi-fi on their device.

(In my case, to make sure the author gets credit, I also d/l into Kindle for PC and jump to the end).
I wouldn’t think the download and transfer via usb option confers full page readership. I think any KU reader should at least sync via WiFi (or 3G) at the start and end of the book to ensure the author gets payment.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:15 PM   #701
ellenoc
Author
ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ellenoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Precisely. I don't as a rule ever turn on the wifi. I hope that they give full credit for this type of download, otherwise why allow them? But who really knows.
Well, they don't. Over at KBoards, authors regularly mourn and rail against KU because of loopholes like this. Another one is reading the book in Page Flip mode. Some have tested and found that no credit is given for pages read if someone does that. Another is reading the entire book and then going back to the beginning and leaving it there. Authors have also tested that and found no credit is given in that case.

I haven't tested anything myself and am only passing this along from posts by others. My own theory is it's like piracy, maybe it costs us all some percentage, but it's not worth getting upset over.
ellenoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 04:35 PM   #702
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I am going to guess that its only a small percentage of readers that never turn of wifi at all and also subscribe to KU. I might be wrong, but I don't think so. I also don't think a lot of folks read in the page flip mode, its pretty much impossible to do so on a kindle. On large tablets is more possible, but still look really ugly with all the menus around. I have yet to see readers purposely reading like that and also why they would do so. There is no advantage to that.

I don't think its a large amount in any case.

I have KU and although I don't keep my wifi on all the time, I do use it to download all books. I don't do usb transfer at all and the only time I plug my kindles into the computer is when I manually download an update. But I make sure when I read a KU book to have wifi on when I open it. Then I turn it off. I turn it on again sometimes in the middle of the book, hit sync. I also always turn on wifi at the end as I do the rating anyway when I done to post to goodreads and twitter. And I need to sort the read book into the "read" collection.

There is no way to send info to the mothership if its not turned on sometimes. I do wonder how long that info is kept. Say one reads 10 books, doesn't turn on wifi for 2 months during, deletes the books. And then turns wifi on, will all that info on 10 books read still be transmitted? Would be interesting to know. But overall, I think its a small percentage that never turns it on. It is way to easy to get books right on it and its what most regular users do. Most KU subscribers are also fully in the amazon system already.

Would an author even get that ranking boost from the download if its done via usb? I would assume yes, as it gets checked out, no matter how it gets on the device.

I use the empty book function in calibre for KU books and library books by the way so my record and backup is complete. Of course there is no backup or file for the borrowed ones, but all the meta data is there.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #703
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I think some considered stealing for after you remove the DRM you can then just give away copies or sell copies yourself. So in that senerio it is illegal and stealing.
Yes, of course. DRM removal should only be for your own use.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #704
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
I have my Oasis 2 for 2 hours. I love it. It fits into my hands, absolutely no problem with its unsymmetrical back or with corners/edges.. I went into room without windows and close door and turn lights on max. Really white light with no gradient, al in one tone/brightness..no problems.I dont know if i am lucky man but my Oasis 2 is really masterpiece. I hope future owners will have the same experience.
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 02:57 PM   #705
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonicboom View Post
I have my Oasis 2 for 2 hours. I love it. It fits into my hands, absolutely no problem with its unsymmetrical back or with corners/edges.. I went into room without windows and close door and turn lights on max. Really white light with no gradient, al in one tone/brightness..no problems.I dont know if i am lucky man but my Oasis 2 is really masterpiece. I hope future owners will have the same experience.
I agree. I bought one for myself for Christmas, but before I put it away, I noted the email address. Then I sent a bunch of books to it, and when I unwrapped it, they were all there. I really like the cover. I can set it up on the arm of the chair, and knit and read at the same time.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote