Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #181
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Thanks to both ramirami and hondamarlboro for dumping the Kindle Touch nand. I'll wait a week until the cable parts arrive so I can build a cable (since I plan to use the serial port long term.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 11:05 PM   #182
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

JAVA CODE IS NOT OBFUSCATED!

That doesn't necessarily mean that it'll be any easier to jailbreak but it does mean that it will be easier to write hacks that modifies the GUI.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #183
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
In my routers, I dual boot. I copied the firmware into an image I store on MMC, which is what gets patched and modified. The only change in the original root is a startup script that flashes an LED, waits a few seconds for a keypress, and if none, loads the mmc driver, loopmounts the image, and does a pivotroot to it. If the button is pressed when LED flash, it falls through and does nothing, letting the stock firmware run.

We could do something similar here.

Because of the pivotroot, ONLY the image code is running, unlike chroot where only a process switches over. We can modify our copy of the OS all we want, and boot the original code by pressing a button when the LED flashes during boot. We can even intercept an update, and let the update analyze the original unmodified code, like a viral rootkit...

The kindle needs a rootkit!

Of course, having an image that is a copy of everything would use space, and the newer kindles have smaller storage. In my images, I have symlinks to the original stuff that was pivoted out to a mount point. I only replace busybox stuff when I need extra functionality. My image copy gets duplicates replaced by symlinks, making it a lot smaller.

A more modern way to do this with less manual intervention would be a COW fs that overlays the original, similar to how OpenWrt works.

If we pivotroot, it would be nice to detect a "phone home" app or backdoor intrusion by amazon, and chroot that process back to the original mountpoints.

The reason I brought this up is that it could simplify uninstalls and updates, and would allow what would otherwise be very intrusive mods.

Alternatively, bind mounts could replace pivotroot in most cases, but would still need a startup script to do the mounts.

As a minimum though, I would like to see a dual boot based on pressing a button at just the right time, signalled by an LED flash, or some onscreen indicator, or a brief non-annoying "jailbreak" sound during bootup (signalling when to press a button to skip jailbreak boot). For that matter, you could even write a boot menu to the framebuffer and wait a few seconds for a keypress before the default selection boots.

We could even select an alternate GUI or desktop from the boot menu (even a stripped down Windows inside QEMU, just because we can).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-03-2011 at 12:54 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 AM   #184
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

So after looking through the Kindle touch's java operating system, I see that amazon has made our lives easy. Everything seems to be plugin-able. You can write handlers for more book format (ePub?) and you can write plugins for readers (like x-ray), and you can also map kindlet views to various menus and stuff. And with the java code no obfuscated, it's just a matter of seeing how amazon implements a feature and using the same method to implement your own features.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #185
karl_k
karl_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
kindle4 notouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
So after looking through the Kindle touch's java operating system, I see that amazon has made our lives easy. Everything seems to be plugin-able. You can write handlers for more book format (ePub?) and you can write plugins for readers (like x-ray), and you can also map kindlet views to various menus and stuff. And with the java code no obfuscated, it's just a matter of seeing how amazon implements a feature and using the same method to implement your own features.
Hmm, so is that also the case for the Kindle4 notouch ? I remember you said a jailbreak for the touch will also work on the Kindle 4, are you now hinting that all Touch-Mods will also work on the Kindle4 ?

thanks for your work,
Cheers,
k
karl_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:10 AM   #186
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

No. Touch mods/plugins/whatever will not work on older kindles.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #187
karl_k
karl_k began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle4
Quote:
Ah, too bad.

Well, i would just like to change the screensaver once i have my kindle4, to put pictures of wife and kids in there.

After all i specifically bought a no-touch no-keyboard no-color no-g3 device so i will use it for reading, not to fiddle with the os and try to install debian...

Hope you find an exploit soon,
Cheers,
k
karl_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:20 PM   #188
aquariumdrinker
aquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheeseaquariumdrinker can extract oil from cheese

Device: K4
Quote:
Just to clarify, when you say they will not work on older kindles, does that mean they will not work on the latest generation of non-touch kindles? Thanks.
aquariumdrinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 12:25 PM   #189
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

If you write a hack the plugs into the Kindle Touch Java framework, it will not work on any other kindles. Old hacks, ones written in C code or whatever (usbnet, ss hack, etc) would still work as they usually do.
Old 12-04-2011, 01:15 PM   #190
ramirami
ramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheeseramirami can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
yifanlu, can you give please provide the procedure to dump the kernel?
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #191
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

I just realized that nobody ever posted detailed opening directions for the touch. Most just go "pry the bottom half first and remove the rest of the covers. It's really easy to damage the back, so here's some detailed instructions. I will define the "top" as where the kindle text is and the "bottom" as where the FCC text is.

The case is held together by 4 hooks on the top left and top right (2 left and 2 right) and 4 tabs tabs on the bottom left and right (2 and 2). There are also 6 very tiny tabs on the bottom and 4 on the top, but you should never start from the top because of the 4 hooks. Begin by taking a very thin piece of plastic (or anything thin and hard, but not a knife because you may damage something). Insert it into the bottom between the case and the device. Carefully pry until the bottom is loose. Now move your thin plastic to the right and left until you feel half the case loose. Do NOT attempt to pry the entire case off. As I've mentioned earlier, there are 4 hooks. With half the case loose, take the thin plastic and insert it into the top of the case between it and the device. Do NOT pry as you did on the bottom. Instead, push down (not in) and you will see the case slide down. You may have to slide the right half and left half of the case separately. Once it slides down enough (you can't push it anymore), you can lift the case off easily.

To put it back on, you need to slide the top half of the case in and press the bottom half down. It's self explainatory if you get it open.

Last edited by yifanlu; 12-04-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:55 PM   #192
Phre
Phre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheesePhre can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3 & 4
yifanlu, I'm still confused. You're saying that the hack for the Kindle Touch will NOT work on the newest version Kindle (non-touch) because it's a older kindle ?
Phre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:40 PM   #193
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

There is no hack for either kindle yet.
Old 12-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #194
hondamarlboro
Enthusiast
hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.hondamarlboro turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle2, Kindle3, Kindle4, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
[REPORT]Serial Port Connector

As @yifanlu mentioned, molex terminal and hougins are just and right size and pretty much stable than expectations for Kindle Touch serial port, I confirmed.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...ard_connectors

Receptacle Housing 78172-0003
Receptacle Crimp Terminal 78172-0410

other photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hondama...7628233938657/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kt-serial.jpg
Views:	2160
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	79708  
hondamarlboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #195
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondamarlboro View Post
As @yifanlu mentioned, molex terminal and hougins are just and right size and pretty much stable than expectations for Kindle Touch serial port, I confirmed.

http://www.molex.com/molex/products/...ard_connectors

Receptacle Housing 78172-0003
Receptacle Crimp Terminal 78172-0410

other photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/hondama...7628233938657/
How did you get the metal ends (terminal) into the wire? Do you have a special tool?