Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 12:08 PM   #61
TheRealBillc
evangelist
TheRealBillc began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700 deceased now 950
Let there be light

I have to say I'm one of the four people that bought my Sony 700 for the light. I did like the touch screen because I think a swipe is more intuative than pushing a button, but the light was important to me. The light lets me read at night and in bed without disturbing the princess. No matter how princely you are, not disturbing the princess (and her beauty sleep) has many advantages. I'm hoping that Sony will make a software upgrade available for the 700 so that I can get the dictionary. I'd even be willing to pay extra for that. My next reader will likely be from Plastic logic, so I can use it for work related documents, software manuals, and such. In that context I don't need a light. I'm keeping my 700 for my personal book reading until someone else figures out how to do a touch screen ereader with a built in light. I've never considered glare on the 700 screen a problem, and if I'm on a darkened bus, I like being able to flip on the built in light without carrying something else. I never have needed to read for a long time away from home with the light, and I have my reader plugged in when I read in bed, so the battery drain of the light has never been an issue for me. With the light on the 700 seems to have at least as good resolution as the 505, even though you are looking through another layer of plastic, so readability hasn't been a concern either, although I agree with others that in some lighting where you could read the 505, I would need to use my light, but then, that's what it's there for. All in all the Sony 700 has been a good trouble free experiance, at least for me. My wife loves her KIndle 2 but wishes it had a built in light like the 700.
TheRealBillc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:34 PM   #62
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Seems like you can still use a light wedge cover for these new models. If you keep your reader in a case, it's not something you really need to carry along with it. So there are some options.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #63
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealBillc View Post
I have to say I'm one of the four people that bought my Sony 700 for the light.
i knew there had to be a few of you. i admit, i don't use the light often, but on the few occasions i've needed it i found it very useful indeed. that's partly why i'm tempted to keep the 700. on the other hand, there have been only a few times in over 6 months, so probably i wouldn't miss it if i didn't have it anymore.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:06 PM   #64
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I bought the 700 mainly for the light as well. Perfectly happy with the screen clarity.

I have a light wedge case for my 505, and it does a great job as well, but the light wedge just adds too much weight.

I am interested in the dictionary support of the 600, and if my 700 goes belly-up, that is the reader I would replace it with.

Still hoping Sony comes out with a larger screen reader.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:58 PM   #65
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
I have to say I'm one of the four people that bought my Sony 700 for the light. .
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i knew there had to be a few of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I bought the 700 mainly for the light as well. Perfectly happy with the screen clarity.

I am interested in the dictionary support of the 600, and if my 700 goes belly-up, that is the reader I would replace it with.
I'm another who bought the PRS-700 mainly for the light. I knew I was giving up some screen clarity at the time and I am satisfied with what I have but I would like a firmware upgrade for a dictionary!

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #66
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I'm another who bought the PRS-700 mainly for the light. I knew I was giving up some screen clarity at the time and I am satisfied with what I have but I would like a firmware upgrade for a dictionary!

WDE.
Don't be shy, now. Change that "Sony" below your Avatar to "Sony 700." - you rascal, you!

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:09 PM   #67
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Actually, that's how I knew there was a Sony PRS700. Somebody I know had bought one (imported, actually), because it had a light...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:11 PM   #68
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Don't be shy, now. Change that "Sony" below your Avatar to "Sony 700." - you rascal, you!

Don
Actually I (our home) have both a PRS-505 and PRS-700, therefore I know exactly what kind of screen clarity I am giving up for the light.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:34 PM   #69
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i knew there had to be a few of you. i admit, i don't use the light often, but on the few occasions i've needed it i found it very useful indeed. that's partly why i'm tempted to keep the 700. on the other hand, there have been only a few times in over 6 months, so probably i wouldn't miss it if i didn't have it anymore.
Same here. I use the light infrequently. If they offer us a chance to trade in the 700 for a discount on the 600 (and the improvements we're hoping for) I would easily give up the light.
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:22 PM   #70
eyp
eyp began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 3G 64GB
Quote:
I have to say I'm one of the four people that bought my Sony 700 for the light.
I didn't buy the 700 for the light, but I like it!, it's perfect for me for the same reason, I'm able to read at bed without disturbing anybody. The screen is not as good as the 505, but I can live with it.
eyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

Don
He will if Zelda will.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 04:52 PM   #72
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
Same here. I use the light infrequently. If they offer us a chance to trade in the 700 for a discount on the 600 (and the improvements we're hoping for) I would easily give up the light.
What she said.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:01 AM   #73
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
I was going to order the 600, but J&R took it off their website. Did anyone else try to order from them?
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:04 AM   #74
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
I was going to order the 600, but J&R took it off their website. Did anyone else try to order from them?
I think it'll be back soon, now that they are officially announced.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #75
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i believe they should be available at the end of the month, so pre-orders will presumably be open soon again.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote