Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #1
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Help with English please

I'm preparing a book by German writer Klaus Mann. The book is in German, but the protagonist ends up in L.A. in the 1920s where he hopes for a break as a film actor. Things aren't going so well though, and he is forced to pawn his watch.

Which leads us to my little problem: In Mann's book, he goes to a "Goan-office". Obviously a typo for loan office I thought (still think, actually), but the spelling turns up twice, and so I want to make sure about the existence of "goan offices"...

I've drawn blanks in the OED and on the Internet, but MRers can't be beat, so I thought I'd ask here as well.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Never heard of goan-office, but I can't say loan-office is familiar. Probably pawn shop.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 03:52 PM   #3
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

Yes, the guy is definitely going to a pawn shop, but that's not what "goan office" could be a typo for. And, though the OED has it only with other meanings, I did come across "loan office" as a synonym for pawn shop somewhere when I searched for it online.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:10 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
Yes, the guy is definitely going to a pawn shop, but that's not what "goan office" could be a typo for. And, though the OED has it only with other meanings, I did come across "loan office" as a synonym for pawn shop somewhere when I searched for it online.
I should have done a search. Yeah, loan office seems to be part of the business name for a huge number of pawn shops.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:14 PM   #5
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

So loan office will probably be what the author had in mind, right?
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 04:35 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleshuffle View Post
So loan office will probably be what the author had in mind, right?
According to https://www.thefreedictionary.com/loan+office
yes.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #7
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil

Brilliant. Thanks a lot!