Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 06:38 PM   #61
guma
Connoisseur
guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.guma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
IMO if the author is not compensated for each reader who has enjoyed what the author has wrote, then that is a pirate read. Whether or not the author has chosen to lend or not lend their books is irrelevant.
So you never ever gave a book to somebody after reading it?
Never bought a used book?
Never used a library???
Never read a book/newspaper/magazine that another person read before?

P.S.
Would you please be so kind as to 'compensate' me after reading this post.

P.P.S
Re-reading your definition of piracy: is it ok not to compensate authors for books you read but did not enjoy?
guma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #62
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
On the contrary, it is 100% relevant. If an author allows the book to be loaned, the author has no grounds for complaint if the book is loaned. The authors freely chose to allow lending. You could forbid authors selling their works, thus it does make sense that you would find irrelevant the agreements the authors made. After all, only the decrees of the book commissar mean anything...
Who is the author? How can anyone create anything when it has all already been created? When the infinite is taken whole, ownership, among other things dissolves.

If a text will be sold it will also not be sold.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #63
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guma View Post
So you never ever gave a book to somebody after reading it?
Never bought a used book?
Never used a library???
Never read a book/newspaper/magazine that another person read before?

P.S.
Would you please be so kind as to 'compensate' me after reading this post.

P.P.S
Re-reading your definition of piracy: is it ok not to compensate authors for books you read but did not enjoy?

What I am mostly saying is that our definition of textual piracy is archaic.

What kind of compensation per post are you looking for, a share of the ad revenue from this site based on number of thread views? I mean, what is a forum but a non fictional narrative?

If I was advocating piracy, which I cannot do since piracy does not exist, I might say that it would be ok to not compensate an author for reading a book that you did not enjoy, although the deeper question to you would be why were you reading a book that you did not enjoy?

I have picked up and almost immediately put down thousands of books. I have picked up and taken a slightly longer time to put down thousands more, should I have been compensating the authors of both text sets? Or neither?

Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:16 AM   #64
Loosheesh
Wizard
Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Loosheesh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW1, PW5, iPhone SE 2016, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Pro 9.7, iPad Pro 2021
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Don't bother. I'm convinced Giggleton is an alien anthropologist who doesn't quite understand the normal business transactions most humans view as obvious, probably because his planet has long since created Star Trek style replicators and abandoned money. I picture him trying to buy a taco from a Mexican restaurant by handing the cashier a combination of pocket lint, drawing of a spider and a lecture about how all tacos should be free.

(ok, going back to lurk-mode now)
Loosheesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 01:15 AM   #65
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjalawyer View Post
Don't bother. I'm convinced Giggleton is an alien anthropologist who doesn't quite understand the normal business transactions most humans view as obvious, probably because his planet has long since created Star Trek style replicators and abandoned money. I picture him trying to buy a taco from a Mexican restaurant by handing the cashier a combination of pocket lint, drawing of a spider and a lecture about how all tacos should be free.
Almost worked for David Thorne

MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2012, 02:08 AM   #66
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Who is the author? How can anyone create anything when it has all already been created?
The person who wrote it. People do in fact create. That's not an opinion, it's fact. Even if we allow a perspective from outside of the universe, that has no meaning. We live in the universe. An external observer would be making an error by confusing past, present and future within the universe.

Quote:
When the infinite is taken whole, ownership, among other things dissolves.
When the electric fish transgresses the orange electrode, the mangifrodulaor will misconginate the flagtermiscouors flagglassel, reinvigorating the non-abstract concierge asparagus.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:15 AM   #67
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
Quote:
What kind of compensation per post are you looking for, a share of the ad revenue from this site based on number of thread views? I mean, what is a forum but a non fictional narrative?
You have no point. You're attempting to pull the wool over people's eyes by conflating books with posts on a message board. People voluntarily allow others to view their message board posts without charge. This in no way implies that books should be free, as unlike posts on a message board, the author of the books did not give people permission to read them without payment.

Quote:
If I was advocating piracy, which I cannot do since piracy does not exist, I might say that it would be ok to not compensate an author for reading a book that you did not enjoy, although the deeper question to you would be why were you reading a book that you did not enjoy?
Piracy does in fact exist. Authors could choose to only require payment if you liked the book, but they instead sell books. When you go to a restaurant, you pay for a meal. You don't have to pay more if you liked it a lot, you don't get to pay a reduced rate if you didn't like it. Like everything else, if you want it, you pay for it, if you don't then don't buy it. You may not like the terms that the author set, but that doesn't entitle you to dictate anything.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #68
Scott Nicholson
Scott Nicholson, author
Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scott Nicholson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I don't know the technical challenge of doing this, but allowing authors to voluntarily opt in to Lendink might save you the hassle of idiot authors who don't know the difference between "its" and "it's" and are just fine using "its'." Many authors like me want all the readers we can get and understand the terms by which we agree to let Amazon distribute our books.

Please build that site and I am in. I tried to explain to "horrified writers" that lending is legal and that authors voluntarily agree to lend books when they publish with Amazon, and that almost certainly loaning books will expand your sales and not diminish them, but why waste breath? If they don't want to loan, they don't have to publish with Amazon, or they can price lower than $2.99, simple as that. Those authors will be as hopelessly left behind as all the paper-sniffer fetishists.

Anyway, this is one of the things that happens when everybody with an Internet connection is a "published author." Whatever.
Scott Nicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:14 PM   #69
Gardenman
Wizard
Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gardenman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350,Nook HD+, Kindle 2nd gen, kindle keyboard
All this makes a person wonder if the BPH's did not have a use. These authors might never been picked up by the system and we would not have to deal with them. As least the BPH'S would have been a filter to keep them away from the public.
Gardenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:12 AM   #70
ozron
Groupie
ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ozron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, iPad, iPhone
All this makes me wonder if the crazed mob is going to find out about the other lending sites, like Lendle, and go after them next?

When will the insanity stop???
ozron is offline   Reply With Quote