Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 12:30 AM   #1
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
You're going to have to convince me......

My husband is a devoted Kindle user but after waiting so long for the K3, I caved and bought the Kobo reader instead. I must say that I love it, mainly for the fact that I can read epub's borrowed from my library. Now that the K3 is coming out for the same price i paid for the Kobo, I am contemplating switching but am scared of losing my epub readability.

Is there any way to convert epubs to a format usable by the kindle, or am I stuck using pdf's? Because after reading this forum, I don't know if it's worth the switch.
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:10 AM   #2
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The actual conversion is trivial, using either Calibre or Mobipocket. The tricky part is stripping the DRM, which you'll need to do unless your books are DRM-free. I haven't kept up on it, so I don't know how difficult that is at the moment.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 01:25 AM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
It is easy but in some countries it is debatable how legal it is so the question arises as to how comfortable the user is with that. So far, no one here in the US has been pursued for the act of stripping DRM without redistributing that but I wouldn't advise someone that it is completely risk-free.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:39 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your new company, Manda. Calibre will do a good job -- and very simply -- of converting ePub top Mobi for Kindle. As Carl says, though, books you buy or borrow from a library tend to be padlocked by Digital Rights Management devices so that you can't convert and move them at will from device to device. It's possible to strip DRM, but it's only border-line legal and we can't discuss the subject here. At the risk of inciting a riot by our Kindle-lovers, I'd suggest you stick with your Kobo ... especially as there's already a Mobi-reading Kindle in the house. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:01 AM   #5
superstitious
Addict
superstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the roughsuperstitious is a jewel in the rough

Device: K3 wifi
I just preordered the Kindle 3 to compare with my Nook to see which one I would like best. So I began experimenting with stripping drm with the epub books I have either from Sony store or kobo. I found it is easier than I thought. Will use Calibre to convert them to mobi to try them on Kindle once it arrives in about a month.
superstitious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 04:17 AM   #6
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
why are people never happy with what they have? I don't intend to be mean in writing that. Rather a find it pretty fickle to be always on the hunt for the "best" everytime new "shiny" comes into view. We all tend to fall into the trap no matter how much we try not to...but in this case you have a device that works just fine.

Are there Kindle books you want that you cannot get in epub? That would be the only justification I could see...now if you can sell your Kobo for essentially what you paid, then sure why not? Of course ya do lose the legal ability to checkout library books.

You could look at it this way, with two readers, your Kobo and the hubby's Kindle you have all the bases covered. Of course trading devices might onvolve prying the Kindle out of the hubby's cold dead fingers before the cops arrive. hehehehe...

Really, do what makes you happiest as long as you can afford it. You are not a bad person for being distracted by unproven "shiny"...because, well, it's "shiny"...
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
manda243
manda243 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by brecklundin View Post
why are people never happy with what they have? I don't intend to be mean in writing that. Rather a find it pretty fickle to be always on the hunt for the "best" everytime new "shiny" comes into view. We all tend to fall into the trap no matter how much we try not to...but in this case you have a device that works just fine.
I admit, I asked myself the same thing. I normally don't like "shiny" it's just that my mom offered to buy the new Kindle and take my old Kobo, as I would be able to take advantage of wifi/3G more than she would.

I'm going to try to Calibre some of my epubs right now onto the Kindle. I'll let you know how it goes!
manda243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda243 View Post
I admit, I asked myself the same thing. I normally don't like "shiny" it's just that my mom offered to buy the new Kindle and take my old Kobo, as I would be able to take advantage of wifi/3G more than she would.

I'm going to try to Calibre some of my epubs right now onto the Kindle. I'll let you know how it goes!
You have the advantage of having a Kindle right there to try out and compare. Unless you feel you get something more out of switching to a Kindle, I would suggest keeping the Kobo
(though I noticed it was your mother's suggestion ... sometimes it's just better to say yes, please, thank you to something mother suggests It can be easier all around)
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #9
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by manda243 View Post

I'd do as Ea say and obey mum after all, you can try it out for a while, if the K3 doesn't turn out to be ok for you you can always return it.
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #10
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliette View Post
I'd do as Ea say and obey mum after all, you can try it out for a while, if the K3 doesn't turn out to be ok for you you can always return it.
You, too, Juliette?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 PM   #11
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
There is lots of good advice here but one thing no one mentioned is that if you get a second Kindle and register it to the same account on Amazon as the one your husband is using, you will be able to buy a book once and both read it on your own device without having to arrange "Kindle time" with each other or having to strip the DRM from the Kindle edition and convert to ePub.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Not long ago, the Kindle 2 was $259. Now, a Kobo + a Kindle 3 can be had for $288 or less. Why not just get one of each?

You're right: the Kobo is a very nice reader in itself and provides easy access to ePub books that may not be available in Kindle format and to the public library. That's enough for me to keep it around.

Plus, I love the Kindle 2 and will replace it with a Kindle 3. I get all the advantages of the Kindle in an updated device.

So, keep both! And enjoy the best of all worlds.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindles only handle PDF with no DRM. So you'd have to strip the DRM from the library PDF to be able to use them. And to be honest, PDF from the library won't be very nice on a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #14
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Kindles only handle PDF with no DRM. So you'd have to strip the DRM from the library PDF to be able to use them. And to be honest, PDF from the library won't be very nice on a 6" screen.
I'm not quite sure how DRMed PDF and password protected PDF intersect, but in case they do--the K3 will supposedly be able to read password protected PDFs.

PDFs in portrait view come out needing "little teeny eyes for reading little teeny print" but when I switch them to landscape on my K2 they are quite readable--at least for me. Half a page at a time (and an irritating 2 lines at the end of the page, sigh) but not hopeless.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 04:52 AM   #15
Juliette
I eat books
Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Juliette , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Gen3 PRS-505 PRS-600 PB360 PB302 K2 Opus BebookMini OnyxBoox K3 KDXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ea View Post
You, too, Juliette?
Why not
Juliette is offline   Reply With Quote