Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-25-2009, 11:06 AM   #16
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post

Flowers... is great and that is a collection I don't have, but have almost purchased on a few occasions. Some great stories in there--Beggars in Spain is one....many others!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:09 PM   #17
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Cool

While I'm not a "short story" fan in general, I did enjoy Anne McCaffrey's "The Girl who Heard Dragons" and "The Littelist Dragon Rider".
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #18
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just (re)read Ursula K. LeGuin's "The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas."

All I can says is wow, what a powerful and compact story!

Available here if you're interested:
http://harelbarzilai.org/words/omelas.txt

Last edited by kennyc; 01-01-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
kennyc

Okay, time for a walk. It's above freezing...
Old 01-01-2010, 03:34 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderMatt View Post
Edgar Allen Poe is my favorite writer. I think most anything by him is pretty top-notch.
As a teenager in the 60s I memorized "The Black Cat" by Edgar Allan Poe. About 10 or 15 years ago, I recited it live from memory for a Halloween function, so I guess I would have to rate it among my favorites.

Other favorites include Agatha Christie short stories and Doyle's S.H. short stories.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 04:03 PM   #21
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Roald Dahl wrote some crackers (e.g. 'Tales of the Unexpected').

But William Trevor is my favourite short story writer so far.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 04:30 PM   #22
ShadowAuthor
Enthusiast
ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ShadowAuthor has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2 & iPhone
Here are a few of my favorites:

The Land Ironclads
I, Rowboat
Nightfall
Burning Chrome
The Roads Must Roll
Semley's Necklace
ShadowAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 AM   #23
nikkers
tragic
nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nikkers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPAQ classic
Any number of O Henry. A boy and his dog
nikkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:01 AM   #24
kennyc

Oooh, I'd forgotten about "A Boy and his Dog" wow!

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2010, 07:06 PM   #25
kennyc

Just read another Lorrie Moore - "People Like That Are the Only People Here:"

I'd give it a 3 of 5 good story, keeps you turning pages, some of it seemed a bit too forced I thought.

I liked it much better than "You're Ugly Too" which I read a bit ago

Added: Last night read Flannery O'Connor's "A Good Man is Hard to Find"
which I'd never read 4 out of 5

Last edited by kennyc; 01-04-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:58 PM   #26
kennyc

This morning was Katherine Anne Porter's - The Jilting of Granny Weatherall

At least a 4, maybe 4.5
Old 01-05-2010, 08:23 PM   #27
Fiona
Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Fiona has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Mobi for Nokia N95; Hanlin V3; Sony PRS350; Kindle for Android
Moving house soon, and discovered while packing - Orson Scott Card's 'Unaccompanied Sonata And Other Stories' - includes the original short story version of 'Ender's Game' and ten other great short stories, all fairly macabre and some disturbing. My paperback is falling apart, so I need to go searching the wonderful world of ebooks.
Fiona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:34 PM   #28
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Just finished re-reading one by Arthur C. Clarke.

"The Star"

A short story, and the first time I read it the last line punch me in the gut.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

"The Star"

That one is excellent! It won the 1956 Nebula award and is available here:

http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/star_clarke.html

I read Zelazny's "A Rose for Ecclesiastes" at lunch yesterday. Excellent work it is more or less
the story that put him on the map well before the Amber series.

Available here: https://www.msu.edu/user/carterca/rose.htm

Following it up with "The Doors of His Face, the Lamps of His Mouth" which won the 1966 Nebula award.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-06-2010 at 08:52 AM.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:31 AM   #30
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post

"The Star"

I read it years ago and again a few weeks ago. It's the perfect Christmas story!

Well, maybe not...
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote