Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-21-2009, 09:47 PM   #61
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
I went to the local SonyStyle store and was able to compare the 505 with the 700...

It must be the first time I don't buy the latest available gadget... I bought the 505.

The difference in the quality of the text was beyond my ability to justify getting the 700 or 600 (based on the video and photos I saw here) for their additional cool features. The glare and lack of crisp text just made it difficult to wait for the 600 or buy the 700. As much as I loved the touch screen I just could not bear reading from it.

Thank you everyone. Now to buy and download a few books, wooohoooo!!!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #62
doodlydood
Enthusiast
doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.doodlydood can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3, iPad, Nook Touch, Kobo Touch
Hello to all. I've spent the evening with the PRS-505 and PRS-600 next to each other. Read the same book on both flipping back and forth under different lighting conditions. Inside, outside, bedroom, throne, office and family room.

I really *want* to like the PRS-600. It's sexier, has better navigation (love the swipe to change pages), is beautifully speedy, and well, it's a new toy.

At the end of the day, though, reading is about clarity. I spend ~1hr/day on my 505; after 20 minutes on the PRS-600 I could see that eye fatigue would be an issue.
doodlydood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2009, 09:53 PM   #63
bhs
bhs began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverh72 View Post
Shoechick, and for those still deciding...
Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, I'd have to pay more to get a 600 AND then buy a case AND wait for it to arrive.
Oliver
As pointed out by Aubbie earlier, there is a US$100 credit offer, which could bring down the cost of 600 for 'some' US residents to $199.99 before tax. Good luck!
bhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 02:27 AM   #64
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
I'm on the same boat, I was looking forward to the 600, but I have doubts after the video showing the glare, quite a disappointment. I'll check it at the local SonyStyle this weekend though.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 08:31 AM   #65
joe_video
joe_video doesn't litterjoe_video doesn't litter

Device: psr-600
PRS-600 Feedback

... just received my PRS-600 yesterday. No regrets !!! I was worried about the screen reflection problem reported on the PRS-700. I found the screen clear and slightly reflective (which is OK and very acceptable for a touch unit - my GPS does the same and my laptop is even worst !). It recognizes my Kingston 16GB SD HC Card, the PDF handling and reflow is excellent. There is no cover but rather a pocket to store the unit. All the features worked has expected except the library software which for some reasons my computer was aborting execution. The problem was easy resolved by downloading the latest version from Sony store. If I had to give a rating, it would be 4.5 stars (on a max of 5). Hope it may help !!!
joe_video is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2009, 09:37 AM   #66
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverh72 View Post
Hi all,

Okay I went and took another look and took some better photos. You can see all the photos here: http://www.positivebias.com/ebooks/ including some taken directly next to the prs700. After seeing them side by side again, I would say that the 600 is better than the 700, marginally. The 300 and 505 are definitely crisper though, and handle glare much better, as you can see in the first 2 photos in the gallery.

I'm also uploading a much longer video which shows the 505, 300 and 600 side by side with a good example of the different colors of the readers as well as how they handle glare.

I was even considering the 300 until I saw that it is plastic all the way along the edge as opposed to shiny metal like all the others. I guess they have to hit a price point somehow, right?

The movie can be found here: http://www.positivebias.com/ebooks/ebookreaders.mov at about 1:30 MST (Central)... sorry, it's still uploading.

I'll field any question I can answer, if people have them.

Oliver
Does ePub have full justification?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:39 AM   #67
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i would love to hear how the dictionary works from someone who has gotten a 600.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #68
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
Folks, let me offer an opinion on the 505 vs 700 screens. I have owned both.

I first bought the 700 because it was the newest model, and I generally go with the latest "bestest" gadget. I remember the moment it arrived at my door, I opened the box, and looked at the screen and I drew a breath. It was soupy green. I was sorely dissappointed. I tried living with it for about 6 months. Just couldnt get past the clarity and brightness. So I bought a 505. Which I totally adore. Perfect device.

I gave the 700 to a gal at work who really reads as much as I do, but as a single mom could never afford to buy one. She LOVES it. She reads without the sidelights on. I could never do that. I asked her if the screen color bothered her, and she looked at me quite quizzically. I did not show her the 505 screen. I do not want her to know the difference.

So in the end, the screen color and clarity will bother many of us. And not others. But I do wish the 600 was not in the same boat. Sort of. Saves me from the incredible urge to buy one! I will be keeping the 505, and praying they clean this up before my next purchase.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:00 AM   #69
joe_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i would love to hear how the dictionary works from someone who has gotten a 600.
... from the user Guide : "In the book page, double-tap the desired word. The pop-up menu appears, in which the headline of the word definition is displayed."
Old 08-22-2009, 10:05 AM   #70
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_video View Post
... from the user Guide : "In the book page, double-tap the desired word. The pop-up menu appears, in which the headline of the word definition is displayed."
thanks joe_video, i did see that already in the guide. i'd be interested to know whether it's fast or slow, how easy it is to browse through, how good the dictionary support seems to be (what happens if you tap a conjugated verb ? does it find it ? what about plural forms of words ? if it doesn't find the word, does it suggest close options ? can you look up a word manually by typing it in ?), maybe a photo of the screen showing a definition...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #71
joe_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh View Post
Does ePub have full justification?
Yes, it has reflow capability
Old 08-22-2009, 10:31 AM   #72
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_video View Post
Yes, it has reflow capability
It always had. In the 505 and 700, the mobile ADE (1st gen) didn't have the capability to display ePubs in block justification. The new generation of ADE does have this capability (and reflow, of course).
Old 08-22-2009, 10:33 AM   #73
informale
informale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litterinformale doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Netronix EB600
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtravellerh
In the 505 and 700, the mobile ADE (1st gen) didn't have the capability to display ePubs in block justification.
So this means there's no chance Sony will ever fix this in 505 by, say, a firmware update?
informale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:35 AM   #74
mtravellerh
book creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by informale View Post
So this means there's no chance Sony will ever fix this in 505 by, say, a firmware update?
Wait for the Sony press conference (August 25 in NY). I think Sony will announce a FW update then.
Old 08-22-2009, 11:15 AM   #75
joe_video

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
thanks joe_video, i did see that already in the guide. i'd be interested to know whether it's fast or slow, how easy it is to browse through, how good the dictionary support seems to be (what happens if you tap a conjugated verb ? does it find it ? what about plural forms of words ? if it doesn't find the word, does it suggest close options ? can you look up a word manually by typing it in ?), maybe a photo of the screen showing a definition...
Dictionary Response: Almost immediate
Browsing: Easy. A small definition is given at the bottom of the page. Tapping on it give a full definition with examples.
Conjugated verbs are recognized
Plural also recognized
Dictionary does not suggest option on word(s) not found
Words can be manually searched by using the virtual keyboard
Two choices of dictionary are provided: New Oxford American Dictionary or Oxford Dictionary of English
The dictionary the information like a paper dictionary. That is, Pronunciation, gender, similar words (not synonym), definition, example, etc...