Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 02:28 PM   #31
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Turns out you have to have \pathto\new\folder as "\pathto\new\folder" in order for it to work. Otherwise it seems to default to the old library. (This is in Windows.. I guess the spaces were confusing it.)

However, the startup wizard behavior is still a problem... I specific the path to the new library in the dialog box, and it proceeded to do a copy of the existing library.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:29 PM   #32
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You really shouldn't exit calibre in the middle of a library move operation, it can have undefined results.
I couldn't wait hours for it to copy my old library. :P I understand that, but there should be a way to kill off child processes when the parent is killed.
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #33
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
However, the startup wizard behavior is still a problem... I specific the path to the new library in the dialog box, and it proceeded to do a copy of the existing library.
Well the wizard assumes that if you are specifying a new path you want to move your existing library, which is the natural assumption for most users.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #34
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I couldn't wait hours for it to copy my old library. :P I understand that, but there should be a way to kill off child processes when the parent is killed.
When you kill a process, the process is killed, it can't hang around terminating child processes
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #35
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Well the wizard assumes that if you are specifying a new path you want to move your existing library, which is the natural assumption for most users.
Perhaps the wizard could spell that out a little more. Or perhaps you can catch the --with-library option and skip that step in the wizard. I agree, though, it's a minor problem that most people probably won't encounter.
Advert
Old 06-07-2009, 02:50 PM   #36
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Released beta 2 that should fix the reported bugs in beta 1. See first post for link to the downloads

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 06-07-2009 at 02:54 PM.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #37
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
When you kill a process, the process is killed, it can't hang around terminating child processes
Well I know UNIX can but I don't know how Windows does things. :P

Added: getting the Abort button to function when copying a library would have helped.
Old 06-07-2009, 02:51 PM   #38
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Perhaps the wizard could spell that out a little more. Or perhaps you can catch the --with-library option and skip that step in the wizard. I agree, though, it's a minor problem that most people probably won't encounter.
IIRC the wizard has a little blurb under the text field explaining what will happen if you have an existing library.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #39
pars_andy
Connoisseur
pars_andy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS505
Hi,

Having a problem with the v2 beta not recognising my UK PRS505. I get the following error whenever I connect it.

nsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 57, in run
File "calibre\gui2\device.pyo", line 191, in _books
File "calibre\devices\prs505\driver.pyo", line 93, in books
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for +: 'NoneType' and 'str'
Old 06-07-2009, 08:06 PM   #40
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

post the output from running

calibre-debug -d

at a command prompt with your 505 connected
Old 06-07-2009, 09:13 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did find a bug in the installer. I use XP and it put the desktop icon in the wrong place. It put the icon in all users insead of the account I am logged into. This then put the icon out of alphabetical order.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:38 PM   #42
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's a feature the installer installs for all users.
Old 06-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
It's a feature the installer installs for all users.
Well seeing as I'm the only one who uses my computer and if my wife was to use my computer, she'd just use it on my account, I don't have a need for all users. So can that please be fixed?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:04 PM   #44
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Well no, since in a multiple users computer it makes more sense to install it for all users and on a single user computer it does no harm to install it for all users.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:13 PM   #45
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
I mostly use Calibre's command-line tools. I installed 0.6b2 and suddenly I couldn't run html2oeb anymore; it gave me an error loading a library. So did mobi2oeb. I was wondering what the deal was. Thankfully, our illustrious kovidgoyal pointed out that html2oeb and mobi2oeb don't exist in 0.6; you're supposed to use ebook-convert to do conversions. But since I had installed 0.6b2 in the same directory I had installed 0.5.14 in (the default directory -- C:\Program Files\calibre) the html2oeb.exe and mobi2oeb.exe and other executables from 0.5.14 were still there, causing me to think they still existed in 0.6b2. So anybody who uses the command-line tools, be aware that it's probably a good idea to install it into a separate directory so you won't be inadvertently trying to use old utilities.
Closed Thread