Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #211
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
I should delete the +"*"?
Yes. Delete the +"*" at the end of the line and change the 7 to an 8.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:46 AM   #212
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is everybody happy now?! Non-Kindle owners now have access to Kindle books (some with a bit more work than others). How evil is that?
Heck no, those of us who bought a Kindle just to have access to Kindle books so we could read them on the Kindle or our cell phone, and who use a Windows Mobile or other non-iPhone device, are extremely unhappy.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #213
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
Heck no, those of us who bought a Kindle just to have access to Kindle books so we could read them on the Kindle or our cell phone, and who use a Windows Mobile or other non-iPhone device, are extremely unhappy.
Sell it and be happy!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM   #214
Tattncat
Bookworm
Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tattncat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Tablet, Samsung Galaxy Tab3, Sony PRS700, Sony PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCDMan View Post
Yes, it might make sense if you already have bought Sony books or if you only have the Sony. OTOH, even if you have the Sony, it still makes sense to buy the Amazon version for your phone if that is the only place you plan to read the book in question because it is generally cheaper. I also suspect that any future cool features are going to be coming from Apple or Amazon, not Sony...

The neat thing about having a phone AND Kindle is that you can synch back and forth so read a bit on one and then on the other. This is great if you are going somewhere where you MIGHT want to read just a bit (maybe 30 minutes or less) but do not want to bring the bulkier Kindle.
Wait minute folks, two things. I have a Touch and a Sony and I can now download nearly everything and I could do it before adding the Kindle app. to my Touch. Apple already has three reader applications for the Touch; Stanza, eReader and Short Book. They cover several different programs. When I combine their capabilities with my Sony and Calibre I could read nearly everything with the exception of Kindle. Now that I've added that app. I am a happy camper.
However, having just purchased and downloaded a book, the program is too bare bones. I won't be using it unless I can not obtain the book from any other vendor.
Tattncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #215
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
mobipocket on iTouch

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Boy, I'm really tempted to get an iPod touch now :-)

Does anybody know if you can read unDRMed Mobipocket on an iPod Touch? Maybe with something other than the Kindle app?
Here are the instructions from the lexcycle website:

Uploading to http://bookworm.threepress.org/ (for epub format books only)
1. On your computer: if your book is in any format but eReader or epub, then convert your books to epub using Stanza Desktop. (If your book is in eReader format, try the eReader-specific solutions mentioned above and below.)
2. Go to http://bookworm.threepress.org/, and create an account for yourself.
3. Upload your books to your new account at http://bookworm.threepress.org/.
4. On your iPhone: launch Safari.
5. Go to http://bookworm.threepress.org/ in Safari on your iPhone and sign in.
6. Select the arrow button under Read in Stanza.
7. This will launch Stanza in the Direct Downloads screen. Your book will appear, though it will have a long name with numbers with a URL underneath. Don't worry -- it really is your book.
8. Tap on your book. If Stanza asks you whether you want to download the book, tap Download. The book will open, and it will appear in the categories on the main Library page.

works like a charm

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #216
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsittingstill View Post
Does anybody know if you can read unDRMed Mobipocket on an iPod Touch? Maybe with something other than the Kindle app?
Yes, there's an iPhone/iPod Touch app called Stanza that will allow you to upload and read unprotected Mobipocket books.
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:51 AM   #217
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
Yes, there's an iPhone/iPod Touch app called Stanza that will allow you to upload and read unprotected Mobipocket books.
Stanza reads ePub directly, not Mobi. The Stanza desktop version converts Mobi, but badly (Calibre does a much better job).

Bookshelf will read unprotected Mobi on the iPhone/touch.

Last edited by bwaldron; 03-06-2009 at 11:54 AM.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #218
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Is everybody happy now?! Non-Kindle owners now have access to Kindle books (some with a bit more work than others). How evil is that?
Well, you do still need a $200 iPod. Why not have PC software too?

BOb

BTW: I don't think Amazon is evil. Just play devil advocate.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #219
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitzj0 View Post
I should delete the +"*"?
Yes, that message shows a standard "diff" notation. The - means remove this line, the + means add this line.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #220
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
Actually Stanza does not allow reading mobi books directly. The windows/mac app converts them to ePUB. The Kindle for iPhone will read them directly on the device.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:58 AM   #221
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, you do still need a $200 iPod. Why not have PC software too?

BOb

BTW: I don't think Amazon is evil. Just play devil advocate.
Are they only $200 now! My 16 GB Gen 1 Touch cost more than my K1 (including warranty coverage for 3 years).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #222
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Are they only $200 now! My 16 GB Gen 1 Touch cost more than my K1 (including warranty coverage for 3 years).
I just looked on amazon before I posted that. The 8GB iPod Touch was listed for $219.

BOb
Old 03-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #223
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
I registered my iPhone but when I look at the details on amazon's site it doesn't let me see the serial number. Where can I find that? Have they closed the loophole?
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #224
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewmangroup View Post
I registered my iPhone but when I look at the details on amazon's site it doesn't let me see the serial number. Where can I find that? Have they closed the loophole?
See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41278

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #225
Drewmangroup
Drewmangroup began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-505
Thanks!
Drewmangroup is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle