Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-23-2022, 12:10 PM   #1
QFieldBoden
QFieldBoden began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Question Mac OS Versions and Calibre

Hi

I'm new on here and am looking for a little help before I get myself into a mess, rather than afterwards.

The background is that my reading device is a Kindle Paperwhite, my home computer is an older iMac. I want to download Calibre to manage ebooks and what used to be paper documents so that I can read them on my Kindle.

I went to download Calibre for the iMac and read the following message: "calibre works on macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and higher". The problem is that my iMac is running Mac OS 10.13.6, High Sierra.

The question is, does this mean I cannot use Calibre as I had planned or do I need to download an older version of Calibre to use on this Mac? If I need to download an older version which one do I need to download?

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer me

Q
QFieldBoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 12:20 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
See this web page Download for macOS, it lists--see the NOTES section--what versions of calibre run on which mac OS and has links to that version of calibre.

P.S. I think you want to see Note #3.
If you are using macOS older than 10.14 (Mojave), the last version of calibre that will work on your machine is 3.48, available here.
bernie
Quote:
Originally Posted by QFieldBoden View Post
Hi

I'm new on here and am looking for a little help before I get myself into a mess, rather than afterwards.

The background is that my reading device is a Kindle Paperwhite, my home computer is an older iMac. I want to download Calibre to manage ebooks and what used to be paper documents so that I can read them on my Kindle.

I went to download Calibre for the iMac and read the following message: "calibre works on macOS 10.14 (Mojave) and higher". The problem is that my iMac is running Mac OS 10.13.6, High Sierra.

The question is, does this mean I cannot use Calibre as I had planned or do I need to download an older version of Calibre to use on this Mac? If I need to download an older version which one do I need to download?

Many thanks for any help anyone can offer me

Q
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
QFieldBoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
See this web page Download for macOS, it lists--see the NOTES section--what versions of calibre run on which mac OS and has links to that version of calibre. P.S. I think you want to see Note #3.bernie
Bernie

Thank you for this information, I'll go and check it out now

Q
Old 02-23-2022, 12:36 PM   #4
QFieldBoden

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
See this web page Download for macOS, it lists--see the NOTES section--what versions of calibre run on which mac OS and has links to that version of calibre.P.S. I think you want to see Note #3. If you are using macOS older than 10.14 (Mojave), the last version of calibre that will work on your machine is 3.48, available here.
bernie
Bernie

v3.48 was successfully downloaded and installed so thank you very much. It's "seeing" my Kindle just fine so I've just now got to get my head around it all.

Thanks again, Q.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:55 AM   #5
fennectech
Connoisseur
fennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enoughfennectech will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Kobo Clara E2, Kindle 4 Keyboard 3G
Is there a version of calibre for Mac OS 9?
fennectech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-08-2024, 01:53 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
No. Mac OS 9 was last updated in 1999 and deprecated in 2002. This was 4 years before the first version of calibre (called libprs500 at that time) was released.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2024, 02:36 PM   #7
Ned
Ebook reader
Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ned ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O (ed 2, v1), Kobo Forma, Kobo Libra 2
version 3.48 is good though.
I'm using it on OS Monterey and see no need to upgrade to a later version
Ned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2024, 11:18 PM   #8
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
If you are in need to get latest Calibre - here are a few options:

i. install VirtualBox + good old Windows 7 - that guest OS works amazingly fast on High Sierra. With folder sharing enabled between your host (MAC) and guest OS - it's easy to manipulate with your files.
ii. Buy Raspberry Pi for ~$35 and install raspbian + calibre there. Maybe read this. As a result - you will have your library in a tiny form-factor you can grab and go. With VNC enabled feature you can use MAC's internal VNC-like client to connect to your RPi.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:24 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned View Post
version 3.48 is good though.
I'm using it on OS Monterey and see no need to upgrade to a later version
If you ever buy a new Reader, you will need to update calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 07:25 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kind_le View Post
If you are in need to get latest Calibre - here are a few options:

i. install VirtualBox + good old Windows 7 - that guest OS works amazingly fast on High Sierra. With folder sharing enabled between your host (MAC) and guest OS - it's easy to manipulate with your files.
ii. Buy Raspberry Pi for ~$35 and install raspbian + calibre there. Maybe read this. As a result - you will have your library in a tiny form-factor you can grab and go. With VNC enabled feature you can use MAC's internal VNC-like client to connect to your RPi.
Sorry, but installing Windows 7 will not allow you to run the latest calibre. Installing Windows 10 64-bit will allow you to run the latest calibre.
Old 03-24-2024, 11:20 PM   #11
_kind_le
Enthusiast
_kind_le began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 11th gen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sorry, but installing Windows 7 will not allow you to run the latest calibre. Installing Windows 10 64-bit will allow you to run the latest calibre.
Thanks, didn't know that. With Windows 10 also can be done I think.
_kind_le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 03:17 AM   #12
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Isn’t it possible to just install a more recent version of Python or what’s preventing the install of a newer version?
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:32 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kind_le View Post
Thanks, didn't know that. With Windows 10 also can be done I think.
As long as it's Windows 10 64-bit and it's up-to-date.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:47 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Isn’t it possible to just install a more recent version of Python or what’s preventing the install of a newer version?
calibre is using QT6. QT6 will not run on Windows 7 or Windows 8. Windows 10 is the earliest version QT6 will run. Windows 10 has to be updated enough and 64-bit.

So if you have Windows 7, you'll have to update to Windows 10 64-bit.