Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 05-01-2020, 06:55 PM   #16
AnotherCat
AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnotherCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ....
Once it found its legs I found the book to be a good and interesting read. I generally approach historical novels as having pretty much nothing to do with the truth unless I test it against an academic history - which I mostly never do and did not with this book, I just regard them as novels.

That said the brutality, and the intrigues of the authoritarian state of Rome are of general knowledge and so while I regarded those depicted in the book as just "maybes" I felt them to be representative. Even today we have supposedly sophisticated and little criticized countries that practice lashings (even in excess of a 1000 strokes spread over time), amputations, beheadings by sword, executions of convenience, etc. for crimes, even for "crimes" not internationally recognized as being such (e.g. adultery, apostasy).

So I found it easy to accept that Rome's realms 2000 years ago would be brutal and the intrigues represented in the book credible. All that in a story line that held together and was interesting for me. So am glad to have had the push into reading it.
AnotherCat is offline   Reply With Quote