Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-15-2020, 01:31 AM   #1
HotblackDesiato
HotblackDesiato began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; iPhone 11
8th Gen Oasis (2016) owners who bought theirs new - How is your battery life?

Just bought my first Oasis refurbished, for $75. Looking forward to it, and hoping I get at least a couple of years of use with it.
HotblackDesiato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:11 PM   #2
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Did you get it with the charging cover with built in battery? The 6" Oasis generation 8 has a minimal size internal battery so without the battery cover the reading time is pretty minimal, particularly if wifi and light are enabled. Why I skipped owning that Kindle reader model and bought the 7" G9 and G10 models.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The 8th Gen Oasis is one of the worst Reader designs. If you do not use the battery cover, then you get really poor battery life. If you use the cover, it adds weight. Plus, it's awkward to hold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 05:11 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Plus, it's awkward to hold.
Not at all. It was the most ergonomic ereader I've ever had. (Sold mine last summer, so I can't answer the OP's question).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #5
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well I maybe one of the few that love my Oasis, I have a really thin cover that makes it easy to hold on to. I admit the battery life could be better, but it is very much Okay as long as you keep the WIFI off. I only enable wifi when I need to sync or download books. I also keep the bluetooth off when I am not using it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-21-2020, 09:50 AM   #6
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Did you get it with the charging cover with built in battery? The 6" Oasis generation 8 has a minimal size internal battery so without the battery cover the reading time is pretty minimal, particularly if wifi and light are enabled. Why I skipped owning that Kindle reader model and bought the 7" G9 and G10 models.
It arrived two days ago, and it includes the charging cover. I quite like it. In good shape for its age.

Replaced my dog-chewed Paperwhite two years ago with a standard non-lit Kindle and it just was never the same. The light seemed like a frill until I no longer had it.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The 8th Gen Oasis is one of the worst Reader designs. If you do not use the battery cover, then you get really poor battery life. If you use the cover, it adds weight. Plus, it's awkward to hold.
It's no harder to hold with the cover than the Paperwhite was IMO. The physical buttons are a big plus for me. My first ereader was a Sony 505 about a year before the first Kindle was released and this feels the closest to it of any.

I don't mind shorter battery life terribly. If I have to charge it a couple of times per week it's a non-issue to me. My main concern was if it would make it through a long day of reading and this one will last multiple days.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #8
HotblackDesiato

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Well I maybe one of the few that love my Oasis, I have a really thin cover that makes it easy to hold on to. I admit the battery life could be better, but it is very much Okay as long as you keep the WIFI off. I only enable wifi when I need to sync or download books. I also keep the bluetooth off when I am not using it.
Exactly my view. I keep the light only as bright as needed too, which I would naturally do anyway regardless of battery life.

Tags
battery life, oasis