Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2016, 08:47 PM   #76
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
I just copied the "config.json" file from /extensions/KindleLazy/bin to /extensions/KindleLazy (so it's in both places). It's the basic one, from the package install, which looks like this:
{
"key_brightness_down" : [ 114 ],
"key_brightness_up" : [ 115 ],
"key_next_page" : [ 104, 103, 106 ],
"key_prev_page" : [ 109, 108, 105 ],
"key_wake" : [ 15 ]
}

(a) which directory should it be in?
(b) any idea what values it should contain?

I probably need to wait for zxczxc or knc1 for this.
Yes. It stays in the bin folder. I just used the one that was provided since I had the same presenter. I think the problem is the KT3, but they'll be able to help.

Last edited by jscris; 10-02-2016 at 10:16 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:16 PM   #77
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

You are using 0.9? I think the ones before that version needed the folder to be kindlelazy.
Advert
Old 10-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #78
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
I'm using whatever was there on Friday. Sept 30. My unzipper created the directories, and I can't see how it would create uppercase in the right spots like that. Besides, the upside downing certainly worked (and how!) so I think it's just the button values, due to a different kindle.

I'll take the kindle with me tomorrow, and maybe The Experts can talk me through getting those values for them. (I wonder if that requires that USB SSH package or something.... To find a command level on the kindle.). Should be quicker, now that I'm jail-broken.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 10-02-2016 at 11:45 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 11:23 PM   #79
jscris
Addict

Quote:
I'm using whatever was there on Friday. Sept 30. My unzipper created the directories, and I can't see how it would create uppercase in the right spots like that. Besides, the upside downing certainly worked (and how!) so I think it's just the button values, due to a different kindle.

I'll take the kindle with me tomorrow, and maybe The Experts can talk me through getting those values for them. (I wonder if that requires that USB as package or something.... To find a command level on the kindle.). Should be quicker, now that I'm jail-broken.
Hope it will be workable. I'll be watching with interest although I don't have a KT.
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #80
zxczxc
Addict
zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.zxczxc knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: PW
Ok!

Yes, the 'wake up' only works within the first minute or so of the kindle sleeping.
I believe after that, the kindle goes into a 'deeper' sleep, and it won't be possible to wake up. (I might be wrong about this)

About the upside down mode 'restarting' the kindle, yes, this has to be done.
There doesn't seem to be/I can't think of a way to make it upside down without restarting.
Anyway, not a problem for it to restart

BUT - yes, as your saw the touch was reversed...
The thing I made should fix it, and reverse the touch so there is no weird problem.
But sometimes, as you found out, it doesn't work... I will try to improve it!
Maybe 10% of the time the touch is not fixed...? I'm not sure.

About the config file, only touch it if you want to customize the buttons. Leave it exactly where you found it, no moving

Any questions or help just ask.

Last edited by zxczxc; 10-03-2016 at 05:37 AM.
zxczxc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2016, 09:33 AM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Yes, the 'wake up' only works within the first minute or so of the kindle sleeping.
I believe after that, the kindle goes into a 'deeper' sleep, and it won't be possible to wake up. (I might be wrong about this)
Two things that might be worth checking on:

When the Kindle is on external power over the USB cable, that sets a "wake lock" flag in the kernel.
When the "wake lock" flag is set, the kernel never goes into "suspend".
So the additional USB hardware could be affecting that logic somehow.

In general, when the hardware present is changed, the kernel wakes from suspend to initialize (or uninitialize) the hardware support and updated its suspend image.
You can try that on your Linux PC, do a: "Suspend to RAM" on it -
Plug or un-Plug something from the USB bus.
So that might be leveraged somehow to wake (or even remote wake) the Kindle.
Details unknown.

On the Kindle, there is an 'always on' micro-controller monitoring the USB connector (among other things - like battery level).
Next to nothing has been posted about how that thing works.

But let your Kindle go to sleep - plug in USB cord from your PC -
Some combinations of Model and Firmware version immediately wake to give you the "Kindle charging, if you want to use ..." and export the USB storage.
Other combinations do not.
I never kept track of that behavior - if it doesn't wake up, I push the power button like everyone else.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 01:02 PM   #82
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you experts know how I can check the button numbers that actually work on a KT3? (newest basic kindle touch 7/2016) ? My presenter worked on my mac, but not on the kindle. The only piece I haven't had any way to test, is the adapter (micro USB to USB) that I bought. So, it's either the button numbers in the conf file, of that adapter I bought. Of a package of 5, I tested two of them and neither made the whole combination work.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:33 PM   #83
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, it can be done, there is a utility for that but the setup is a bit on the technical side.

Since the USB connector will be occupied while testing, the Kindle can't be accessed via the USB connection.
Instead, the set-up will require either the serial port connection installed, or the USBnetworking package installed and configure to allow ssh over wifi into the Kindle.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:49 PM   #84
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Ack! No serial port connection, plz. I am willing to try the USBnetworking package installed, if it is as easy as dropping it into the mrpackages place and restarting? (I can go look up the package)
Old 10-03-2016, 02:04 PM   #85
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ack! No serial port connection, plz. I am willing to try the USBnetworking package installed, if it is as easy as dropping it into the mrpackages place and restarting? (I can go look up the package)
sp not required, only mentioned because it is one of the ways the testing can be done.

There are a lot of people who use ssh over wifi to work on their Kindle.
NiLuJe has made it as easy as possible but people still have questions about it.

When you install the package (with MrPI) the default will be to use the USB cable, but it is easy to change (I think NiLuJe has included KUAL buttons for everything).
Everything should be in his documentation included in the package.

And there is a thread here about setting up the MAC for the package.

Last edited by knc1; 10-03-2016 at 02:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:49 PM   #86
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

I can try using the USB cable, first. It'll be tethered to my Mac, anyway.

Do you know where the correct thread(s) are? I just tried to find a thread for USBnetworking, and failed. I can just install it (I found the tar.xz file) and read the included directions, I suppose .....

Then -- what comands would be useful to youz Experts, to determine the keypress values that the KT3 has?
Or - are you already sure the KT3 has the same key values? If so, then I have to assume my problem is with my micro-to-USB adapter.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:58 PM   #87
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Since the USB connector will be occupied while testing, the Kindle can't be accessed via the USB connection.
Oh -- I was thinking of checking what the basic touch screen produced, on the KT3 (the key values). You were thinking of checking what my micro-to-USB plus presenter dongle produces as values?

Yes, I guess both would be worthwhile.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral

That is the second time today I mis-read the posts of the thread.

Both would be needed if there is any key-to-key mapping needed.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #89
knc1
Going Viral

Go to NiLuJe's snapshot thread. (prefix -> tools, click 'show threads')
The last entry in the description line is a link to the main thread for the entry.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:17 PM   #90
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Go to NiLuJe's snapshot thread. (prefix -> tools, click 'show threads')
The last entry in the description line is a link to the main thread for the entry.
Yeah. That's where I was looking. I only found a thread for the jailbreak itself, not for the USBnetworking tool.

Anyway, I'll just see if the package has instructions in it.

Tags
remote, remote control