Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-06-2016, 02:42 AM   #1
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
Which 13.3" e-ink device has the best web-browser experience?

DPT-S1 vs. Boox Max vs. GoodEReader vs. whatever is on the horizon.???

I have chronic dry-eye where my eyes start to burn after ~7 minutes of looking at an LCD computer monitor. My eyes are ok if looking at an e-reader for extended periods of time, so I'm looking to invest in a costly 13.3" e-ink device that has web browsing capabilities. Of course, I can't do video-watching on e-ink, but reading my Gmail, Wikipedia, news articles, research and Amazon is primarily what I'll be doing. I would need the browser to allow for multiple tabs and allow basic storing/saving login passwords.

Would appreciate if anyone has insight on any of the above devices SPECIFICALLY for the web-browsing aspect of the device. I have no need for reading PDFs/ebooks. I would prefer not getting the Dasung Paperlike e-monitor as that requires a laptop & I'd like to be able to use the 13.3" device by-itself and access the web anywhere using wifi.

Thanks for your insight !!!!
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:38 AM   #2
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Stay away from anything by GoodEreader - in my opinion.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 01:56 AM   #3
davester
davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX, Yotaphone 2, iPhone7+, Dasung 13.3" HD-FT Monitor, iPad Pro
Yeah, it's strange that the GoodEreader brand-new e-reader only has 512MB of RAM, where I believe that the 2+ year old DPT-S1 has 1GB of RAM. Why wouls they shortchange the hardware of their device like that!??! Their site hypes the heck out of their 13.3", yet has no video/mention of the browser capability, so I'd guess their e-reader offers lousy/slow browser experience.
Anyone else have any thoughts?
Thanks!!!
davester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 08:27 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There's a thread over in News (I think), about GoodEReader's questionable tactics on a promised device, then the announcement of a different device, and then......

Perhaps someone can locate that link.
Old 08-09-2016, 09:14 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
There's a thread over in News (I think), about GoodEReader's questionable tactics on a promised device, then the announcement of a different device, and then......

Perhaps someone can locate that link.
Just for you.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=266702
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-09-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post

Thank you.

That should be helpful for the OP.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
mrbleb
mrbleb began at the beginning.

Device: keendle
android + big screen

i would go with a big screen device running android.
it would be very easy to turn it into a monitor for your existing pc/laptop.

web browsing without physical keyboard can be taxing...
mrbleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #8
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
The Onyx Boox is likely to be your best bet.
The Sony probably is the best build quality but the software is not as flexible. I think you might have to root it to browse. With Onyx everything will work out of the box. It comes with a no refresh mode which means the text will scroll smoothly like on an LCD screen. Not so sure about customer support. But then Sony ain't great either.

Last edited by Pajamaman; 08-18-2016 at 04:23 PM.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #9
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
There's also a thread about someone using the 13.3" Boox as a monitor. Or at any rate, they have *already* used the next smaller Boox as a monitor, and were discussing doing the same for the 13.3. Thread was back in April or so.

Ahh, here. This Thread , post #375 has URLs for a trial somebody did with the Boox M96 (next smaller one). It's page 25 for me, but that depends how your viewer is paginated.

The original post with 3 such URLs. Which was from This Thread.

Last edited by badgoodDeb; 08-18-2016 at 05:10 PM.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
I only have brief personal experience with DPT-S1 web browser.

The DPT-S1 browser is fine for text/photo news pages. Tried google news, Wikipedia etc.

However it was unable to play youtube (presumably because of lack of HTML5 video support). The youtube video pages loaded with the preview images but video would not play.

Again, playing videos is not something that e-readers are meant to do but I wanted to try it anyways.

The build quality on the Sony is excellent and it is truly a joy to hold.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote