Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
Firestorm1
Firestorm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Need app or program for Kindle ebooks

Does anyone know of a free app or small program to open Kindle ebooks on my computer other than Kindle For PC. I like to know if they are DRM protected before I import them into Calibre for conversion. When I used Windows XP, I had a small reader app that would open AZW3 format on my desk top. I changed to Windows 7 and now can't find it. Any help would be most appreciated.
Firestorm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 03:41 PM   #2
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Try Kindle Previewer.

You can see how the book will look on a Kindle Fire, Voyage, DX, etc.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 12:17 PM   #3
Firestorm1

Many thanks to drjenkins for the answer. I will try the Kindle Previewer if I can't find a much smaller app. I'm on a slow dial up internet connection and it will take almost all night to download an app of that size.
Again, thanks.
Old 11-22-2015, 02:59 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firestorm1 View Post
Many thanks to drjenkins for the answer. I will try the Kindle Previewer if I can't find a much smaller app. I'm on a slow dial up internet connection and it will take almost all night to download an app of that size.
Again, thanks.
Have you asked in the Kindle form - omit the references to DRM and calibre, they're irrelevant

But why not use the calibre viewer to do the preliminary check, you already have it, and it can be used independently of the calibre library manager. It is ebook-viewer.exe in wherever you have calibre installed. Make it the Windows default program for opening azw3 files. I'm pretty certain it will throw an error message if book is DRM'd.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 11-22-2015 at 04:24 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2015, 03:27 PM   #5
jecilop
Addict
jecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowjecilop will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Android
Suggestion,
Just go ahead and import them into Calibre.
Try to run a plug-in like Count Pages (do just the word count) or Polish (must be epub or azw3 format). These do not work on DRM'd files so when you try to run it, only the non-DRM'd will work. The other will be obvious from a non-returned count.

It really is a quick way to check many at once. It's your choice what to do after that from deleting to tagging as DRM'd or whatever.

You may know this, but just in case...
Idealy, use either a different library to import OR create a virtual library. Open the virtual tab and import books there. Add a temporary tag based on the virtual library such as *TEMP or something so they are easily isolated until you do what you will.
jecilop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 AM   #6
Firestorm1

My heartfelt thanks to all for the ideas. It was BetterRed who finally got through this old thick head of mine. I was not aware that ebook-viewer.exe was a part of Calibre that I already had or that it was indeed the above mentioned app that I remember using in Windows XP to start with. Several strokes have left me with an iffy memory and it's gratifying to know that you folks are willing to share your knowledge so freely.
Thank you so much for solving this problem for me.

Last edited by Firestorm1; 11-23-2015 at 08:57 AM. Reason: misuse of italics
Old 11-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@pdurrant's drmcheck.py is a lot faster.

DRM Check: Find out what DRM that ebook has got.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote