Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 03:02 AM   #1
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Blackberry Playbook, Sony 650, Kobo Glo, H2O, Aura One, Forma, Libra 2
Australian & New Zealand crime/mystery/espionage authors free and bargain

I've started this thread because I don't consider that we get serviced well by any of the major ebook sellers when it comes to identifying free and bargain Aus and NZ authors.

So, using Luzme's My Watchlist I'm going to keep an eye on the following Aus authors in the broad category of crime, mystery, espionage, what have you and post when they come on special (well let's hope they come on special!!) (Luzme's server is down at the moment so I haven't started the Watchlist today)

The Aus list comes from my own reading as well as the Goodreads Australian Crime Fiction List, which I have only partly included in the list and I will continue to add to over time.

I would appreciate it if others would also post when their Aus authors come on special.

Spoiler:
Burrows, Deborah

Day, Marele

Disher, Garry

Erskine, YA

Fox, Katherine

Gott, Robert

Greenwood, Kerry

Groff, Maggie

Giarratano, Leigh

Howell, Katherine

Klein, Peter

Littlemore, Stuart

McCullough, Colleen

McGeachin, Geoffrey

Morwood, Carolyn

Pennicott, Josephine

Preston, Luke

Robertson, Kel

Temple, Peter

Twohig, Peter

Tyley, Vicki

Whish-Wilson, David

Williams, Sue

We need an NZ authors list ....

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-08-2013 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Added Peter Twohig and David Whish-Wilson to the list
Lynx-lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:30 AM   #2
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...
Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lynx-lynx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well I can start off the Aus specials .....

Carolyn Morwood's 'Death and the Spanish Lady'. Book 1 of her Eleanor Jones mystery series.

Amazon $1.99 (USD)

Quote:
Melbourne, 1919. Death upon death.

Nurses returned from the Great War are once again risking their lives, this time putting themselves in the firing line of a deadly disease: the Spanish ‘Flu.

On the frontline is Sister Eleanor Jones. Her family torn by death and shell shock, Eleanor does what she can for the sick, among them the likeable Jimmy Cotton, in the temporary hospital hastily set up in the grand Melbourne Exhibition Building.

But there is one death she cannot prevent. A death unlike all the others on the makeshift ward. Poison.

Hiding behind the gauze masks designed to stop infection, someone is intent on adding to the death toll.

When Jimmy Cotton disappears, Eleanor cannot help getting involved in the investigation. As she studies her fellow nurses, the orderlies, and the patients, she finds that the war has left people damaged in many ways.

She is not the only one with an unbearable, secret grief.

The War has taken so many things from Eleanor, including her dream of becoming a writer. But perhaps she can turn her talent for the dramatic, her wit and her imagination, towards creating a trap to reveal a killer...
Book 2 on Amazon, Cyanide and Poppies, is a ridiculous $14.95 USD.

Interestingly I can't find Carolyn Morwood's books on any Aus Bookworld, Aus Dymocks, Aus/NZ/US Kobo, or Sony US.

(I haven't read any of her work before, so I just bought book 1)
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Thanks for the heads-up on Carolyn Morwood!
Please don't shoot the messenger, but in the US, the books are actually .99 & $5.99.

Australian crime fic anthology for $2.99 on Amazon US:

Crime Factory: Hard Labour
From the Land Down Under: Crime Factory Publications presents seventeen dark criminal tales, including Garry Disher's first ever Wyatt story, unpublished for over a decade, and new fiction by Peter Corris, Leigh Redhead, David Whish-Wilson, Adrian McKinty, Angela Savage, Helen Fitzgerald and more - including Greig Johnstone, JJ DeCeglie, Deborah Sheldon, Andrew Prentice, Finbarr McCarthy, Andrez Bergen, Amanda Wrangles, Cameron Ashley, Andrew Nette and Liam José.

Couple of random comments:

Some authors to consider for your list:
Peter Corris
Terry Hayes - just read 'I Am Pilgrim' a couple of weeks ago, really recommend if you like thrillers
Adrian Hyland
Charlotte Jay
Shane Maloney
P. M. Newton
Steve J. Spears
Patricia Sumerling
Felicity Young

Think I mentioned this publisher a while back in another thread - they've reissued some older/classic titles:
Wakefield Press

And I really like this website for updates:
Austcrime
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Re-posting this one, courtesy of Mort1997 in the monthly thread. The author's novels are published by PanMacmillan Australia, think this is a new cozy series she's started.

Free on Amazon US:

Nefarious Doings: A Nell Forrest Mystery by Ilsa Evans
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Ahhh Mitford you're a wonder ..... thank you very very much for contributing!!!

And what about the price disparity eh, we can't believe why we're always on the rough end of the pineapple either!!
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 11:13 PM   #6
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Lindy Cameron's first book Golden Relic (1998) cheap enough at Kobo Aus - especially when you apply voucher code.

AUD$2.99 list price and then add your voucher.

Quote:
When Professor Lloyd Marsden is found murdered in the Museum of Victoria, Special Detective Sam Diamond is assigned to catch the killer. Thrown into a world of obsessive collectors, strange poisons, funerary rites and ancient artefacts, Sam’s photographic memory and cryptic crossword skills are invaluable tools in her investigation.
But when archaeologist Dr Maggie Tremaine whisks her halfway round the world in pursuit of the truth, Sam finds way more questions than answers. From Australia to Egypt to Peru Sam and Maggie hunt down the clues to a strange pact and a legendary relic.

This novel was originally written for ICOM ’98, the International Council of Museums’ triennial conference, hosted by the Museum of Victoria in 1998. The ICOM ’98 committee had the novel idea of promoting the prestigious conference, and its host city Melbourne, by commissioning a crime novel set in the museum world.

Under its original title, Stolen Property, Golden Relic was serialised on the Internet – one chapter a month – from February to September 1998 on the ICOM ’98 homepage.
Old 10-29-2013, 12:58 AM   #7
ClareK
Connoisseur
ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ClareK can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Laser
"Nefarious Doings" is also free on Kobo.
ClareK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 04:43 AM   #8
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

An alert to fellow Australians that Kobo has declared Norfolk Island another country and given it it's own website, using USD!!! The cheek

Anyway the ebooks appear to be based on US price lists - but - they're voucher discountable where they wouldn't be for us using the Aus Kobo site.

Yeah, I know Kobo's showing it's ignorance - but hey we can benefit by this providing one realises that they will pay in USD so therefore there'll be a conversion fee.

Go for it!!
Old 10-30-2013, 04:47 AM   #9
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

With Norfolk Island as my site I bought the very highly recommended:

A Few Right Thinking Men
Sulari Gentill

I paid usd 3.82 for it.

The NI price was usd 8.49 and I used a 55% Kobo voucher (from the Kobo discounts thread).

The AUD price for the ebook was aud 10.99 and not discountable.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 10-30-2013 at 04:57 AM. Reason: Add the link
Old 10-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynx-lynx View Post
With Norfolk Island as my site I bought the very highly recommended:

A Few Right Thinking Men
Sulari Gentill

I paid usd 3.82 for it.

The NI price was usd 8.49 and I used a 55% Kobo voucher (from the Kobo discounts thread).

The AUD price for the ebook was aud 10.99 and not discountable.
BTW, that book is US$10.99 and not couponable when I'm shopping on Kobo at home here in the US. So the US$8.49 NI price is less even before a coupon.

Aaah, the wonders of georestriction...
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Sufue not only the wonders of geo restriction .... but now Kobo's into geo politico reorganisation .....

I do wonder if the people of Norfolk Island know that they're now stateless
Old 10-31-2013, 02:32 AM   #12
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

In my amazement at Norfolk's Island's Kobo determined statelessness I forgot to include the synopsis for A Few Right Thinking Men:

Quote:
The first book of the acclaimed Rowland Sinclair Mysteries. In Australia’s 1930s, the Sinclair name is respectable and influential, yet the youngest son Rowland - an artist - has a talent for scandal. Even with the unemployed lining the streets, Rowland lives in a sheltered world... of wealth, culture & impeccable tailoring with the family fortune indulging his artistic passions & friends... a poet, a painter & a brazen sculptress. Mounting political tensions fuelled by the Great Depression take Australia to the brink of revolution. Rowland Sinclair is indifferent to the politics... until a brutal murder exposes an extraordinary & treasonous conspiracy.

“The real enemy is Labor’s Jack Lang and the Communist hordes into whose hands he plays... What say I introduce you to some chaps?”
“What chaps?”
“Right thinking men. Loyalists who love this country... Rowland, I think you could be moving with the wrong crowd.”

A Rowland Sinclair Novel

* Shortlisted for Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best First Book

* Sulari Gentill WINNER of Davitt Award for Best Adult Crime Fiction 2012
This is the first of five (so far) in the Rowland Sinclair series.
Old 10-31-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Kobo US site has a number of Kerry Greenwood's books on sale for prices as low as usd 0.99 cents - and the ones I looked at are discountable. (Use a voucher from the Kobo discounts thread)

Her first Corinna Chapman mystery:

Earthly Delights - 0.99 cents (If this link opens into the Kobo site and the message says 'this ebook is not available' it means you need to change your location to US)

Quote:
Corinna Chapman was once a high profile accountant and banker. That is until she walked out on the money market and her dismissive and unpleasant husband James, threw aside her briefcase, and doffed her kitten heels forever. Now she is a baker working in her own business, Earthly Delights, in Flinders Lane, Melbourne.

Corinna is living in an eccentric building on the Roman model called Insula, which has eight stories, sixteen apartments, and a lot of strange and interesting people. These include a retired professor of classics, Dionysius Monk; a Dutch gardener named Trudi; Mr. and Mrs. Pemberthy and their rotten little doggie, Traddles; a pair of disgustingly thin, would-be soapie stars Goss and Kylie; and a jobbing witch, Meroe of The Sibyls Cave.

Corinna is quite content with her cat Horatio and her shop until a junkie falls half dead on her grate, a gorgeous sabra stalks along her alley and tells her that she is beautiful, and she starts receiving threatening letters accusing her of being a scarlet woman.

Then it is Goths, lost girls, fraud, late nights, nerds, and beautiful slaves. Life for Corinna has suddenly become interesting. And she still needs to get her bread out in time for the morning rush…. Includes recipes.

Earthly Delights is the first book in this delicious new series by the award-winning author who brought us the Phryne Fisher series.

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 10-31-2013 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-01-2013, 04:45 AM   #14
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Kobo Norfolk Island has got a number of Peter Temple's ebooks at very cheap prices:

Truth US $2.52
Black Tide US$1.38
The Broken Shore US$1.38
In the Evil Day US$1.38
Bad Debts US$1.38
Shooting Star US$1.38
White Dog US$1.38

and they're discountable

Get your voucher codes from the Kobo Discounts thread

PS Most of these cost AUD$17.09 from the Kobo Aus site

Last edited by Lynx-lynx; 11-01-2013 at 04:51 AM. Reason: Change country info + add Aus Kobo site pricing
Old 11-01-2013, 11:11 PM   #15
Lynx-lynx
Treachery of images ...

Are there any Kiwis out there who want to contribute their NZ crime etc authors to this thread?

We can rename the thread to include Aus and NZ authors.

What say?