Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 09:37 PM   #121
MikeOxlittle
Say my name very fast ...
MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeOxlittle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Fantastic job on this great piece of software. Thanks to all involved.
MikeOxlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:37 AM   #122
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: sony
Great new metadata download!

Could we get a checkbox to enable/disable downloading identifiers (ISBNs)?

After getting them correct with "Extract ISBN" I don't really want to overwrite them.

Even better (though this might be asking too much) would be to have the checkboxes repeated on the screen showing the collected metadata, prepopulated according to the global & plugin settings, allowing for last moment decisions about which fields to actually download.

Thanks!
capnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 01:52 AM   #123
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnm View Post
Great new metadata download!

Could we get a checkbox to enable/disable downloading identifiers (ISBNs)?

After getting them correct with "Extract ISBN" I don't really want to overwrite them.
!
Maybe the best way to do this would be with a 'retain original identifiers' option, or something like that? I don't think disabling the download of identifiers is a good idea, as multiple plugins rely on discovering and caching various identifiers in the book's metadata.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:18 AM   #124
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I am curious as hoe it could get a different isbn coming back in the first place, unless the isbn was invalid and it did a retry on title/author. Do you have an example isbn/title/author and what metadata plugins did you have enabled?
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:29 AM   #125
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I am curious as hoe it could get a different isbn coming back in the first place, unless the isbn was invalid and it did a retry on title/author. Do you have an example isbn/title/author and what metadata plugins did you have enabled?
The ISBN definitely is never changed when using the Goodread metadata plugin. I've done about 600 books with it and if the ISBN specified isn't found it returns nothing.

I too wonder how this might happen in other plugins.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:19 AM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If an ISBN is not found, most plugin will do a title/author search and use the isbn returned by that. That i a feature. Many ISBNs are not present in many metadata sources. For example, amazon only has isbns for the edition it carries. isbndb has no ebook isbns and so on
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 11:41 AM   #127
capnm
Groupie
capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'capnm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If an ISBN is not found, most plugin will do a title/author search and use the isbn returned by that.
Exactly. Which is why it would be nice to be able to download the desired metadata from a "fuzzy" find without changing the identifiers.

Or I could just restrict myself to only using the goodreads plugin since its isbn changes are pretty conservative (effectively just reformatting the isbn or adding it when none is provided). I'm finding that works pretty well for me most of the time.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #128
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Tracked down the cause of the remaining SSL issues. These should all be fixed in the next release.

Oh, and I ****ing hate Windows.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:11 AM   #129
capnm
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
CRussel: Will be in next release, though not as a button. Instead if you hold the mouse down over the current button, a menu popsup with the option to generate author from author sort

But it gets all mixed up if there's more than one author ....

("Doe, John & Smith, James" --> "John & Smith, James Doe")
Old 04-26-2011, 09:44 AM   #130
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:

It's never parsed multiple authors well. Just one of those minor annoyances that I stopped expecting to change so simply workaround.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 02:53 PM   #131
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

A fix for this is in trunk.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:16 PM   #132
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Is series information a thing of the past?
I enabled the slow overdrive thing and still have no luck although I can get series information in the previous release.
Thanks
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:52 PM   #133
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Series info is often not available. But you can improve the odds by installing the goodreads metadata download plugin (use the version compatible with calibre 0.8).
Old 04-26-2011, 04:14 PM   #134
mehetabelo
e-Bibliophile
mehetabelo began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 1-3, Kobo AuraHD, Boox Afterglow2
Been around a long time, but never posted. I've watched the developments of calibre for a while now, and enjoy the newer versions a great deal.

Something I have noticed in the latest version, with the .8 changed turned on, is that isbn does not fix dashes as it once did. In previous versions, when an ISBN with dashes existed, and 'edit metadata' was used, the dashes were automatically removed.

Also, should two ISBN: markers be used ie: isbn:978123456789 and isbn:978123456780 both disappear leaving the Ids window empty. I am sure that you do not allow multiple ISBN's, though it would be nice in the case of identification on some websites (such as amazon only holding specific isbn's) but even if that is impossible, or extremely difficult, would it not be better to use the first, or the first valid isbn instead of deleting both?

I do not keep track of everything within the forum, just skim through every few days, but I have not run across anything explaining what markers are usable in the ID window, and if multiple ISBN's are usable.

I have also run across other item, such as isbn:ss0743471563 and the alt-menu saying this is a valid ISBN. I'm not sure how the program reads the ID's, but even in the case that the numbering is correct, should letters previous to the numbering make the ISBN invalid?
mehetabelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:28 PM   #135
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The not fixing of ISBNs is a bug, which will be fixed in the next release.

isbn:ss0743471563 is valid because calibre will automatically strip the invalid charaacters (or at least, it will once the above bug is fixed).

You can put any ids you like into that field, but only one id of each type. If you want to refer to an amazon page, use amazon:1234567890. You will see in the next release that amazon ids are automatically converted into links to the amazon page in the book details panel.