Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-17-2011, 02:14 PM   #31
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Just curious - what difference does it make if the functionality you want is a plugin or built-in to calibre, other than making it more easily accessible to more people?
meme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 02:44 PM   #32
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Just curious - what difference does it make if the functionality you want is a plugin or built-in to calibre, other than making it more easily accessible to more people?
Nothing. Components within calibre are plugins. The only difference is if it's distributed as part of calibre or though another manner.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 06:12 PM   #33
user_none
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

0.7.56 introduces a new feature for 0.8 that I've been working on for over a month now. There is a new toolbar action called "Get Books." Under preferences, Plugins, they're in Store plugins.

As the names suggest this feature bring store integration to calibre. For the 0.8 release I've included 14 different stores. They are a mix of big box, independent, public domain and free sources. The idea behind this feature is to allow users to easily acquire new books.

The integration varies with the majority of them being the source's website in an embedded browser. Unfortunately most of them don't allow for more integration.

Using the embedded browser allows me to detect ebook downloads. When an ebook is selected to download it will be downloaded using calibre's job system and automatically added to the current library. A tag with the store name is added to the library entry.

Each store plugin can be customized. Right now the tags added to downloaded books can be modified. Also, if you don't want the store's opening in the the embedded browser you can select to have them opened in the system's default web browser.

The big feature of the store integration is search. Every store supported by calibre is supported by the store search dialog. The search dialog returns a number of common information: cover, title, author, price, store. I plan to extend this to also include DRM status and formats before the 0.8 release.

I do not plan on adding any new store before the 0.8 release. However, once 0.8 is out I will be taking requests for other stores. Kovid has also put me in charge of the store code in case anyone wants to implement their own store plugins.

Kovid and I have come to an agreement regarding the store integration. This will extend to anyone else. Affiliate programs are allowed to be used. About half of the store's in I've added use affiliate urls (most of the pay ones). The distribution is 70% to the plugin author / maintainer and 30% to the calibre project (distributed to Kovid).

One thing I want to make clear this feature is designed for users. The goal is to make it easier for people to get books into calibre. That will be taken into consideration above all before any new stores are accepted.

Also, as I said that 70% of revenue goes to the author / maintainer. If someone creates a store and doesn't want to maintain it (shouldn't be much maintenance) then I will change the affiliate url to someone who is willing to put in the work. With this feature I hope that it is useful and helpful for calibre users. I also hope that these initial stores will allow me to generate enough income to work on calibre full time. New store plugins will be accepted on a first come first serve basis and I will not prevent anyone from making money on this feature aside from the above usefulness consideration. For example a store that doesn't implement search will be automatically denied.

I would love to get input on this feature. From a technical, usable, general standpoint. Let me know what works, what doesn't, what need to be changed.
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #34
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I trust the "Creator of Calibre" (see the OP) more regarding keeping Calibre revisions compatible with this plugin, or a "Collection" plugin. Updates for Calibre come really really fast.......not sure if this can cause problems w/ older plugins?

markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #35
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
As the names suggest this feature bring store integration to calibre. For the 0.8 release I've included 14 different stores. They are a mix of big box, independent, public domain and free sources. The idea behind this feature is to allow users to easily acquire new books.
Very nice, thanks for this. Will you be adding options to the Stores Plugins so that we can enter our username/passwords so it can autolog us in to our selected stores?
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #36
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadMan View Post
Very nice, thanks for this. Will you be adding options to the Stores Plugins so that we can enter our username/passwords so it can autolog us in to our selected stores?
I never thought about this. I've added it to my todo list.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:36 PM   #37
DeadMan
Enthusiast
DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.DeadMan is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's new
  1. A new feature Get Books that allows you to search for a book in calibre and get a list of stores that sell/distribute the book. Clicking on a result allows you to buy the book from the store, or download it directly, in the case the book is free. To enable this feature go to Preferences->Toolbars and add the Get Books icon to your toolbar. For details see here
  2. A new, completely rewritten metadata download system. You can now choose from amongst multiple downloaded covers, and bulk metadata downloads now run in the background. Also, the download process is much more customizable.
  3. A new edit metadata single dialog, with multiple layouts, chooseable from Preferences->Behavior.
Thanks Kovid! New metadata editor layout is excellent! And so is the cover selector.

Now if I could only get you folks to add a drop box for pseudonym(s). So when, say, an Asimov book is selected, the pseudonym area would show the list of alter ego's (Paul French in this case).
DeadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:51 PM   #38
JBlyth
Connoisseur
JBlyth doesn't litterJBlyth doesn't litter

Device: Kobo, Kobo Touch, Ipaq 214, HTC WildFire Android
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
I think JBLyth was after the "other" tweak values that they deleted. That would be these two:
Code:
bool_custom_columns_are_tristate = 'yes'
grouped_search_terms = {}
Thanks Kiwidude,

That is exactly what I needed!

Cheers
John
JBlyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #39
jesscat
Groupie
jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jesscat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad mini, iPad 2, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_none View Post
0.7.56 introduces a new feature for 0.8 that I've been working on for over a month now. There is a new toolbar action called "Get Books." Under preferences, Plugins, they're in Store plugins.

I would love to get input on this feature. From a technical, usable, general standpoint. Let me know what works, what doesn't, what need to be changed.
Wow, this is potentially very cool! Looking forward to the possibility of having some of the stores I use most (e.g., fictionwise) up there eventually, in addition to the current list!

I gave it a quick whirl. A few initial thoughts and reactions...

First, it would be great to have search refined a little. I searched for a title, but a very long list of books came up with some of the title words in the author field, etc. (since one of the words in the title I was searching for could possibly be a name). It would be useful to be able to search specifically by title or by author - don't know if that's possible. I found what I wanted by sorting the title field - that column sort function does make the current non-specific search much more workable.

Second, the book I was looking for was in four of the stores. I clicked on three of them - B&N, Kobo, and ebooks - and got this error:

calibre, version 0.7.56
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QNetworkAccessManager' object has no attribute 'sslErrors'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\search.py", line 175, in open_store
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\bn_plugin.py", line 46, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog.py", line 18, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog_ui.py ", line 32, in setupUi
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_control.py", line 43, in __init__
AttributeError: 'QNetworkAccessManager' object has no attribute 'sslErrors'

The fourth store was Amazon. Clicking on this opened Amazon in my system's default browser, not the embedded browser. I looked in preferences, but I can't find the options for choosing default vs. embedded browser? EDIT: Wait, I see - it's in each store plugin's customization, and Amazon has no option for opening in the embedded browser. Okay, got it.

If I purchase the book through the window/tab that opened in my system's default browser (Firefox on XP, as it happens), can you explain more precisely what will happen? (I didn't in fact do it, as I don't want to buy the book from Amazon.) Or what happens if I purchase through the embedded browser for that matter? When I click to DL, the book will go right into my calibre library without any need to save first and import, is that right, even if I do it through the default browser? And it will obey the usual import rules? Including regarding metadata (e.g., I don't generally DL any tags from any sources, and I'd like to keep it that way)?

What about with Amazon - I assume you have to select to DL to PC, rather than sending the file to one of your devices or to Kindle for PC?

I've lost track of my numbering... so anyway, finally, the only possible disadvantage to me that I'm seeing right now to using this method to buy books, especially since it benefits calibre's developers, is that I like to keep a backup copy of my original DL in a different directory. So I usually DL to that backup directory and then import to calibre. If I understand this correctly, I'd have to do a separate save-to-disk if I want that. How about the possibility of building in the option for this for those who want it - specifying a backup directory with an automatic save-to-disk as part of the process, assuming there are others who might be interested?
jesscat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:04 PM   #40
user_none

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesscat View Post
First, it would be great to have search refined a little. I searched for a title, but a very long list of books came up with some of the title words in the author field, etc. (since one of the words in the title I was searching for could possibly be a name). It would be useful to be able to search specifically by title or by author - don't know if that's possible. I found what I wanted by sorting the title field - that column sort function does make the current non-specific search much more workable.
Search returns what ever the store returns. Most stores don't allow boolean or refined searches.

Quote:
Second, the book I was looking for was in four of the stores. I clicked on three of them - B&N, Kobo, and ebooks - and got this error:

calibre, version 0.7.56
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>AttributeError</b>:'QNetworkAccessManager' object has no attribute 'sslErrors'

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\search.py", line 175, in open_store
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\bn_plugin.py", line 46, in open
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog.py", line 18, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\web_store_dialog_ui.py ", line 32, in setupUi
I will look into fixing this.

Quote:
The fourth store was Amazon. Clicking on this opened Amazon in my system's default browser, not the embedded browser. I looked in preferences, but I can't find the options for choosing default vs. embedded browser? EDIT: Wait, I see - it's in each store plugin's customization, and Amazon has no option for opening in the embedded browser. Okay, got it.
Due to issues with Amazon I am unable to use the embedded browser with them.

Quote:
If I purchase the book through the window/tab that opened in my system's default browser (Firefox on XP, as it happens), can you explain more precisely what will happen?
The same as if you had opened your browser and typed amazon.com then purchased the book. The only difference is the link though calibre includes the affiliate tag which gives us credit for the sale.

Quote:
Or what happens if I purchase through the embedded browser for that matter?
The only difference between buying (downloading) through the embedded browser is the embedded browser will detect ebook downloads and automatically add them to your library.

Quote:
When I click to DL, the book will go right into my calibre library without any need to save first and import, is that right, even if I do it through the default browser?
Only though the embedded browser. Using your default browser you will need to save first then import.

Quote:
And it will obey the usual import rules? Including regarding metadata (e.g., I don't generally DL any tags from any sources, and I'd like to keep it that way)?
It will obey the same import rules as if you clicked the add button on the toolbar. The only difference is the addition of user configurable tags being added. Even file type plugins that are installed will be run on them.

Quote:
What about with Amazon - I assume you have to select to DL to PC, rather than sending the file to one of your devices or to Kindle for PC?
That is correct. For amazon select download to PC and select the device you want associated with the file. In 99% of cases this would be your Kindle.

Stores like Amazon and B&N are nice in that you can login and redownload any book's you've already purchased. Since B&N works with the embedded browser you could open the store and use calibre to add the books directly into your calibre library. This would save you a step for getting your existing B&N books into calibre.

Quote:
I like to keep a backup copy of my original DL in a different directory. So I usually DL to that backup directory and then import to calibre. If I understand this correctly, I'd have to do a separate save-to-disk if I want that.
Currently that is what you would need to do.

Quote:
How about the possibility of building in the option for this for those who want it - specifying a backup directory with an automatic save-to-disk as part of the process, assuming there are others who might be interested?
Already coded because I had a feeling this would be requestd . The only thing that I need to do is add a preference option to allow you to specify a location or just have it ask each time for the location. I haven't decided what the best way to do this yet. I wanted to wait and see what else would be requested so I could determine what the best place would be.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:24 AM   #41
SleepSeeker
SleepSeeker began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Hi, Can I ask which tags it chooses to download? Let me specify what I mean. Let me just say I love Calibre and how it organizes everything for me, but the one thing that I'm always changing is tags because I haven't quite find a way that works for me. It downloads like 3-4k tags and 3/4 of them to me at least are useless. So I was very excited to find that in this release you can limit how many tags you want to download.

I was hoping it would download the Major genre's first and then the simple ones next, and then user input last. For Example the Major would be Fantasy, Sci-fi, Thrillers, Young Adult, etc.. And the Simple ones would be like Demonology, Witches, Legal, Werewolves, Medical, Police. But instead I'm getting tags like City, Towns, things like booksellers, art. But nothing that really says what Genre the book belongs to.

So my Question is how does it decide which of the tags to choose first, the first ones it comes across? I'm wondering if there's something I can do to control that. Any Input would be great. Thanks!
SleepSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 AM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepSeeker View Post
Hi, Can I ask which tags it chooses to download? Let me specify what I mean. Let me just say I love Calibre and how it organizes everything for me, but the one thing that I'm always changing is tags because I haven't quite find a way that works for me. It downloads like 3-4k tags and 3/4 of them to me at least are useless. So I was very excited to find that in this release you can limit how many tags you want to download.

I was hoping it would download the Major genre's first and then the simple ones next, and then user input last. For Example the Major would be Fantasy, Sci-fi, Thrillers, Young Adult, etc.. And the Simple ones would be like Demonology, Witches, Legal, Werewolves, Medical, Police. But instead I'm getting tags like City, Towns, things like booksellers, art. But nothing that really says what Genre the book belongs to.

So my Question is how does it decide which of the tags to choose first, the first ones it comes across? I'm wondering if there's something I can do to control that. Any Input would be great. Thanks!
There is a setting: All or Nothing (from the site being used)
(IIRC current version it is called 'Social Metadata'. The test version for .8 (which I use) is a tick box: 'Tags', in the 'Metadata Download', Sharing Preferences
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:19 AM   #43
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@SleepSeeker - there is a recent discussion on tags downloading you might find useful here.

As per that thread you may find it helpful for your purposes to use a different plugin for the downloading of tags. Below is a screenshot of the configuration screen for the new version of the Goodreads metadata download plugin for 0.8. It is ready for testing but relies on some unreleased changes Kovid has made so you need to be running from source. If anyone wants to try it drop me a PM with your email, otherwise I will release it in the plugin forums for people to try when Calibre 0.7.57 comes out.

As Calibre 0.8 has a feature to limit the number of tags downloaded, this will apply to genres from this plugin as well. Each book on Goodreads gets up to 8 genres displayed for it, ranked by the number of users who have classified them that particular way. So you could set a limit of just 1-2 if you wanted and get the most popular specific values.

In the meantime you can get the same genre mappings when running in "non 0.8 mode" with the existing Goodreads metadata plugin. This new "Goodreads" plugin will replace both "Goodreads Metadata" and "Goodreds Covers".
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1_Configuration.png
Views:	200
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	70094  
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:28 AM   #44
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Kovid - could the identifiers field in the Basic Metadata screen have a clear button on it?

And perhaps make it multiline or something? As when you have a long stream of ids (amazon, google, isbn, goodreads) you both cannot see the isbn (which is usually what you are after) and it is a little fiddly to edit/select?
kiwidude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:34 AM   #45
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
I get the following error when trying to select one of the stores, the only thing I did was to change the tags of all of them to Store:

calibre, version 0.7.56

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\actions\store.py", line 39, in open_store
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\store\baen_webscription_plug in.py", line 38, in open
nynaevelan is offline   Reply With Quote