Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #1
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
Netbook like an E-reader

I have shuffled through about 200+ technical specifications in search for good student's companion which balances price and usage in last two months. Conclusively, I think that netbook fits the scenario of my intended use.

I would like to know netbooks with these features:
1. Matte screen
2. 180 degree lid opening
3. 6+ hours battery (so that I only need to charge overnight)

One I found is HP mini 110/210. HP is separating PC manufacturing department from it's root business; so is it worth buying? What are alterntives?
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Look at the Samsung netbooks, I have one that has a matte LED screen, the screen doesn't go all the way back to 180 degrees but I've never personally seen a laptop that does (not that I check), the battery is 10+ hours probably more if your just reading.

Mine an older one nf110 with the ram maxed out, it's a nice little machine I use quite a lot but I couldn't imagine reading on it for long.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
RCR
Addict
RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RCR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 x Sony 505, iPad, Samsung 7 Tablet, ASUS Transformer, Nexus 7
If you can live with Android, what about the ASUS Transformer with the keyboard docking station? It has been superseded by the ASUS Prime so it should be cheap now.

I love mine so much I prefer it to my iPad. The "Documents to Go" app is almost compatible with MS Office. The screen is a bit glossy but it makes an excellent ebook reader. The keyboard is good enough for touch-typing.

Unlike an iPad, the Transformer can be plugged into any computer and be recognised as a normal portable hard drive. The screen has a micro card slot and the docking station has two usb ports and an SD card slot.

Battery - I'm using mine as an ebook reader and the screen gets down to about 50% after a couple of days. (There's another battery in the docking station).

The only negative, beside a glossy screen, is Android. A student might need Windows.
RCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM   #4
Nexutix
Reading and reading
Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nexutix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Infibeam Pi, iPod Touch 4G, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 2, Oneplus One
I use autohotkey for quick google searches and custom flashcards; so windows is a must for me. Glossy screen breaks the transformer deal for me, as I have to read in places well-lit by sunlight at home as well as in college. Glossy screen is the only reason I am selling my current laptop. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Nexutix; 02-02-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Nexutix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery life, ereader, matte, netbook, student