Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-31-2013, 02:47 AM   #36106
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Listening to Lexie complaining about my suitcase. She doesn't like suitcases because it means someone is going away and she thinks everyone should always be at home. I've already locked the catflap to my room since she has the tendency to throw up in my room once a day when I'm away.

I'm also checking out cameras online. I really like the look of the Panasonic Lumix DCM-TZ40 (I currently have a Lumix), I'm checking out the specification and saw that one of the OSD language options is "Netherlandic"!?
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 04:40 AM   #36107
Stephjk
Cruiser
Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stephjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, samsung galaxy tab note
Sailing from Arki to Fournoi in the Greek islands - life's good!
Stephjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 01:39 PM   #36108
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to decide what to do tomorrow besides exploring Antwerp. I'm thinking of either visiting the zoo or the aquarium. For Sunday I have a trip to a museum and a visit to the market. Depending on the time I'll have a picnic in the city park.

Last edited by Rumpelteazer; 05-31-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #36109
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
If you're going to explore Antwerp, be careful. Crazy things happen in Antwerp!

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 11:33 AM   #36110
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Lol, there was a group of people dancing on the Grote Markt (big market) this morning. I went to the MAS museum today because it was chilly. A beautiful museum with great views (it's 10 stories high and build in such a was to make most of thw views).

I've also found the cobble stone can be pure evil when you have a blister underneath one of your feet, even if you're wearing a blister patch.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #36111
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I've just finished adding metadata to all my books in calibre. That's over 4,300 books. I now have date obtained, where obtained, and price paid for every book. 2168 paid-for books, the rest being freebies.

Whew. That was a long job!

The first book I bought, as opposed to freebies, was from Baen Books, the February 2002 bundle. And I can now calculate the average price I've paid for my ebooks over the past 11 years or so: $3.07, or just over £2.

On average, I've spent about £7.50 a week on ebooks.

Back to reading!
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #36112
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephjk View Post
Sailing from Arki to Fournoi in the Greek islands - life's good!
How lovely!

Quote:
That always makes me smile and feel good inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
On average, I've spent about £7.50 a week on ebooks.

Back to reading!
Your last posts on all this organizing makes me feel totally guilty for not being more organized with my books. I just have them in author folders or genre folders (I'm half one way and half the other) and just drop the pile onto my external drive. One of these days, I really will get organized, but other things seem to want to be done first.

Right now, I'm inside until it becomes cooler outside. Way too hot to move around much outside and then I have to knock down some MORE paper wasp nests. Can you believe that they made nests on the inside of my tied up patio umbrellas? I cranked them open for the first time this year and swarms of wasps came pouring out. Scared me so much that I forgot to breathe for a bit.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 07:24 PM   #36113
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
... That always makes me smile and feel good inside....
Me, too. Antwerp Station was the first flash mob video I ever saw, and it remains by far my favorite.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #36114
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
:Your last posts on all this organizing makes me feel totally guilty for not being more organized with my books. I just have them in author folders or genre folders (I'm half one way and half the other) and just drop the pile onto my external drive. One of these days, I really will get organized, but other things seem to want to be done first.
It was a lot of work, but worth it. I did have my books organised into author folders, with sub-folders for series, with series numbers in the file names. And a duplicate set for unread books.

But it was tricky to maintain, and awkward for books with multiple authors. I'll be able to slowly improve the calibre metadata with time (e.g. adding in part titles to magazines, anthologies and omnibus editions.)

One drawback: By putting all my ebooks in one place, and going through them marking them as read or to-be-read (or neither), I find that I don't have 300 books in my unread pile, I have 717!

Of course, some of these are just books that I read a decade or more ago and I've forgotten that I read them, just looking at title and author. And some are short stories from Fictionwise. But still.... I think I really do have more unread books that I thought I did.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #36115
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Congrats on a monumental job accomplished, Paul. So now every time you finish reading a book, you're going to change the metadata?
Old 06-04-2013, 04:01 AM   #36116
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Congrats on a monumental job accomplished, Paul. So now every time you finish reading a book, you're going to change the metadata?
Exactly so. I already post to the Reading thread and my challenge post, so also updating calibre is not a great extra burden.
Old 06-04-2013, 07:02 AM   #36117
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
I have organized my entire library too. It's all on one hard drive, in a great big file.

Windows was kind enough to alphabetize it for me . I think.

(Yes, it IS backed up onto 2 other external drives.)

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #36118
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Painting my toe nails, or rather: my toes. LOL. I'm not very good at it due to the strange angle and the polish that doesn't end up on the nail will wear of quickly anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 02:57 PM   #36119
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have organized my entire library too. It's all on one hard drive, in a great big file.

Windows was kind enough to alphabetize it for me . I think.

(Yes, it IS backed up onto 2 other external drives.)

Stitchawl
Hahaha. The same method I use, what a coincidence.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 AM   #36120
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Poor Lexie went to the vet yesterday.

She has the tendency, when waking up, to start moving before she is fully awake. This causes her often to fall over when jumping off the chair/couch/table. She did this on Sunday and she seems to have hurt her right back leg. Walking in a straight line and jumping on things wasn't a problem but turning and jumping off things and her leg gave way.

According to the vet it might have been a stroke but it could also have been a pulled muscle (nothing's broken or dislocated). She got an injections to help reduce the pain and make her move more easily, which helped since she was much more stable last night, and from tonight she has a ten day course of pills. So I'll be getting La Vache Qui Rit (sp?) sticky cheese cubes to hide the pill in.

She's also too light. She's always been a small cat but even taking that into consideration she's too light. The problem will be getting her to put on weight. She never eats much, especially in summer when it's warmer and she likes treats but in moderation. Nikita you could give a big bowl of custard and she would eat it all, Lexie is satisfied with a few licks. Her favourite treats, salmon and chicken, which she occasionally wants to binge on aren't exactly fatting. After her treatment for her leg the vet wants to run blood tests to see if she has kidney problems.

She just came running past, relatively un-wobbly, and is now on my bed meowing to remind me it's time for our morning ritual: me scratching her head and nose.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?