Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-19-2014, 06:09 PM   #46
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
I'd like to be able to install additional software.
Well, it's debian! You can install new packages simply opening a shell and doing
PHP Code:
sudo apt-get install PACKAGE 
Evince works reasonably well for PDF files, and gedit is good for text and source code. You can also try mupdf and Leafpad.

It will be a revolution if someone will compile a module for USB on-the-go and host mode. This way you can use keyboard and mouse, or connect USB pendrives directly on your Kobo.

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 11-19-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #47
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
From what I recall USB host / USB on the go also require h/w support.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #48
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
Well, it's debian! You can install new packages simply opening a shell and doing
PHP Code:
I was hoping you would say that. I not familiar enough with Linux since I'm a Windows programmer and have a hard enough time keeping with all the changes in the .Net arena. I thought the architecture might impact what you could do but am glad to hear it's not going to be too difficult.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:21 AM   #49
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Evince works reasonably well for PDF files, and gedit is good for text and source code. You can also try mupdf and Leafpad.
The image has Evince installed. It's ok in portrait mode but I like to read in landscape. That doesn't work well in Evince. It just doesn't zoom well. I've been spoiled by koreader. I'll try leafpad tomorrow.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:45 AM   #50
guang6321
Enthusiast
guang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toys

Device: kobo aura hd
Quote:
PHP Code:

It will be a revolution if someone will compile a module for USB on-the-go and host mode. This way you can use keyboard and mouse, or connect USB pendrives directly on your Kobo.

It supports USB host now, there is an option in "Settings",you have to choose "Debian/USB Host" and reboot
guang6321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #51
guang6321
Enthusiast
guang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toysguang6321 shares his or her toys

Thank you all! Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm planning to add these features in next release:
WIFI auto-connect, magnetic-cover support, coolreader/koboreader porting
Debian/Android dualboot
Old 11-20-2014, 11:59 AM   #52
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by guang6321 View Post
It supports USB host now, there is an option in "Settings",you have to choose "Debian/USB Host" and reboot
Quote:
I'm planning to add these features in next release:
WIFI auto-connect, magnetic-cover support, coolreader/koboreader porting
Debian/Android dualboot
My assumption is to get these changes we'll need to download a new image. Is that correct?

These changes are all great! Karma to you!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 AM   #53
JimMcLaren
Addict

I've just installed okular. I have to say it works very well for PDFs. It zooms to full width and I've rearranged the tool bar to put the page next button on one end, previous page on the other. Not as good as just tapping the screen but it's close. Not quite koreader but almost.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #54
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Quote:
Cool. How keyboard works? Is it responsive?

Last edited by Lucas Malor; 11-30-2014 at 05:38 PM.
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:48 AM   #55
guang6321
Enthusiast

Quote:
Cool. How keyboard works? Is it responsive?
You need OTG line with power supply plug, like this:
[Image violates Posting Guidelines for size - MODERATOR]

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 09-13-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 06:56 AM   #56
guang6321
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
My assumption is to get these changes we'll need to download a new image. Is that correct?

These changes are all great! Karma to you!
Thank you! that's right
Old 12-07-2014, 04:39 PM   #57
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
I didn't understand the difference between BootMenu/KoboRoot.tgz and NoBootMenu/KoboRoot.tgz even though I read your guide 5 times.

Your explanation suggests that the NoBootMenu should normally be used, correct? I.e. unless one wants to install some patch.

Also, if anyone managed to download the rootfs image, can they host it somewhere in Europe, please? Downloading from a site which doesn't allow the use of "wget -c" seems to be almost impossible... I'll try again tomorrow as the idea of turning AuraHD into a Linux tablet is very very interesting.

Last edited by tigran; 12-07-2014 at 04:49 PM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:40 PM   #58
JimMcLaren
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
I didn't understand the difference between BootMenu/KoboRoot.tgz and NoBootMenu/KoboRoot.tgz even though I read your guide 5 times.

Your explanation suggests that the NoBootMenu should normally be used, correct? I.e. unless one wants to install some patch.
This is my understanding.
  • The boot menu will display a short boot menu on the screen with one of the buttons defaulted. If you do nothing it will boot into that choice. This is configurable from within Debian.
  • There is no boot menu displayed. You just tap different parts of the screen to select your OS to boot into. Again, if you do nothing it will start the default OS.
I use the boot menu and have it configured to start into Kobo. IIRC, the default is Debian.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:33 AM   #59
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
Thank you, Jim. But it seems to be absolutely impossible to download the image from China. I retried about a dozen times over the past 8 days and always failed. So, I assume that nobody outside China ever tried this...

Actually, Mozilla Firefox may be a better choice for such "non-wget"-able urls, I'll see if it can retry and resume the download (Chrome cannot do this)

Last edited by tigran; 12-15-2014 at 07:48 AM.
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 04:47 AM   #60
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
@Markismus For the H2O you'd need to change various things of which I have little conception (from uboot to X.org); hence the changed sources for the HD are paramount. However, I haven't had the time to spare to look into it. On top of which, the risk is really too high for me at the moment. I have a pristine device which would prefer to stay that way for a while longer. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Thank you, Jim. But it seems to be absolutely impossible to download the image from China. I retried about a dozen times over the past 8 days and always failed. So, I assume that nobody outside China ever tried this...

Actually, Mozilla Firefox may be a better choice for such "non-wget"-able urls, I'll see if it can retry and resume the download (Chrome cannot do this)
Only to a limited extent. But it does (sometimes) work. I tried it at various times over multiple days and it finally gave me something of a 200 kB/s download speed. That's still pretty slow, but it's slow of a whole different order than 10-30 kB/s…
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote