Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
welcome
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM   #17
joe-k
joe-k began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung E65
I recently bought a Samsung E65 reader as a Christmas present. Unfortunately, when it came to registering the device with the Adobe folk I could not do so, either when trying the wireless method suggested in the User Manual or when trying to do it, "hardwired" through a USB port to my PC.
In the first case, the problem lies in the fact that whereas my wireless network is set up to use BTHomehub2, the E65 reader tries to connect me to BTOpenworld with the inevitable result that a message: "Network failure" comes up on the screen. Question: is there any way to "instruct" the device to connect to BTHomehub2 and forget about trying to connect to BTOpenworld?
When the device is connected to the PC with a USB cable absolutely nothing happens, whereas the User Manual on Page 27, under Step 5 tells one to: "Enter your user Id and password". Enter them where? Step 6 asks one to tap "Activate" but there is nothing to tap on the screen...
I would be rateful if someone far more experienced in these matter could suggest ways to deal with the above problems. I am not at all a "techy" person, therefore the simplest and least "techy" explanation and step by step instructions would be much appreciated.
And, by the way; yes, I have been following the instructions given in the User Manual to the proverbial "T" and made sure that the relevant ID and password was always entered correctly.
Cheers and a Happy New Year to all.
joe-k is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2010, 06:27 AM   #18
joe-k

I have to say my first "mea culpa" on this forum.
In my previous contribution yesterday I referred to the wireless connection that my E65 reader attempts to access as : "BTOpenworld". This should have read: "BTOpenzone".
Apologies to all.
joe-k
Old 12-29-2010, 12:32 PM   #19
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony psr-505
there is (PAGE 95 I THINK) an option to use a proxyserver havnt tried this myself and not exactly sure what type of proxyserver it means but if there is any experts im sure we would both welcome some advice
dogsballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 PM   #20
joe-k

Hello to Giltbrook and hello to CloverHillReview,

I still have not been able to register/authorise my Samsung E65 reader. The problem is fully explained by me in my above two posts.

Since it appears that both of you were successful in your attempts - at least via the
"wired" USB method - to register your devices, I wonder if either, or both, of you would be good enough to let me know if you followed the instructions given in the User Manual or discovered that those were incomplete or misleading in some way?

I am about to take my E65 reader back to Currys and ask for my money to be refunded
but before I do so I would be grateful for your comments in the matter.

Many thanks in advance and have a Happy New year.
joe-k
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 05:58 AM   #21
dogsballs
Zealot
dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dogsballs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

sorry joe-k but i never bothered with registration. i have most of my books sitting on calibre and as the device was a present for the wife she is stuck at the moment with reading my books
Old 12-31-2010, 10:37 AM   #22
Aileen Wilson
Aileen Wilson began at the beginning.

Hello Joe-k, I had experienced the same issues as you when trying to activate/synchronise my new E65. Feel somewhat re-assured that it's not something I have done, but don't have the expertise to know what the problem is. Will appreciate any suggestions from anyone.
Aileen Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #23
joe-k

Hello dogsballs,
Thank you for your response to my query. Unfortunately, as mentioned by me in my first posting, you are trying to be useful to someone of the "drawing boards and slide rules" generation who has no idea what is meant by; "..sitting on calibre". Could you please explain in "non-techy" and jargon free language how could I make my E65 "sit" on this "calibre" (whatever this might be?) if that would be the answer to my problem?
Many thanks again for trying to help me and all the best for the coming year,
joe-k
Old 01-01-2011, 04:13 PM   #24
joe-k

Hello Aileen and Happy New Year to you.

I managed to get a step closer to making my Samsung E65 (at least partially) repay the money spent on it. A friend explained that the "caliber", referred to in dogsballs posting has is in fact nothing to do with either a "twelve-bore" nor with the perceived character of a person...

I was instructed to google "Calibre" and download their "book management" tool. The website for Calibre is very informative and I was delighted to see that whatever had to be said could be (and is!) said in easy to understand and correctly punctuated, lucid, and well rounded sentences. A breath of fresh air to know that someone "out there" is still capable of composing clear and comprehensible writing to explain "techy" things to "non-techy" people. Congratulations are in order for Mr John Schember, the author of the manual...

I would recommend that you print the Calibre Quick Start Guide from the website and keep it handy for reference as you go along with the coupling of your reader to the PC. It not only explains what it is all about but even explains why the name of the facility is "calibre", rather than what would be the acceped form in English, viz.; "Calibre", with a capital "C", in view of the fact that it is the name of a facility.

I did follow the instructions found in the manual and lo and behold, everything fell in place and worked out just as it "said on the tin" - as it were - and I even managed to load a couple of (free) books onto my reader. It still remains to be solved how we could register the device for DRM protected literature to be loaded onto it. In the mean time, however, I am pleased to gorge myself on the thousands of available free books, so my money was not altogether wasted and Mr Curry's need not fear that I will ask for a refund.

I hope that this information will be of some use to you and I would be happy to answer any question you might have if you send a PM to me. I feel that I had used up a lot of space posting messages on this thread and it is time to say Goodbye to it.

Yours,
joe-k
Old 01-01-2011, 04:47 PM   #25
dogsballs
Zealot

just as joe-k says. you can also transfer the books direct from your pc to the E65 quite simple really once you plug your reader into the pc it should pop up as a drive simply open it up go tyo the books folder and drag your books from the pc over to it.

I have bought booksd from fictionwise and simply dragged them to the device im pretty sure you can do this with other sellers. it may help to search how to un-drm books
Old 01-06-2011, 06:07 AM   #26
markgreig
markgreig began at the beginning.

Device: none
Is the E65 the one I've been waiting for...?

Hi. New to the forum, and interested to read the informative and friendly posts.

I'm thinking of getting an ereader, and it comes down to a choice between the Kindle and the E65. However, the E65 has what appears to be the clinching feature for me, the ability to annotate files onscreen.

I regularly travel to London lugging heavy documents and a netbook, and onscreen annotations would be a real backsaver.

So - does it work?? Can you annotate pdf files as well as epub files? How are the notes saved? Can you transfer them to, and print from, a PC?

If the answers are positive, the E65's my dream machine, if not... mmm.

Hang on and hope the next Kindle might offer those features? Or get a tablet? I'm very reluctant to shell out £400-500 on a machine that I will, inevitably and catastrophically, drop/lose/leave on the train/have stolen at some point.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
markgreig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 07:08 AM   #27
dogsballs
Zealot

may be hard pressed to get one now as they are discontinued. I have not tried notes on pdf but works very well on epub
Old 01-06-2011, 09:16 AM   #28
markgreig

Hi Dogs, thanks for your rapid response. I see that they're still available from PC World at the moment, but I guess I'll have to move quick if I go for one.

Can I beg more of your advice? I'd much rather rely on your hands-on experience than that of a showroom sales gonk.

How do you print the notes? Can you print an annotated file with the notes on it, or are the notes printed in a separate file/doc? It'd be fantastic to be able to annotate in a script meeting, then print out the annotated draft when I'm back at the desktop.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:16 AM   #29
markgreig

Rats

Aaaaand I was too late. You're quite right, dogs. Checked the PC World and Curry's sites, and unlike this morning the E65 shows as unavailable. So - might the E60 worth a go? Annotations are the key for me...

If I do get one, I'll let you know how I get on.
Old 01-08-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
odeazy
odeazy began at the beginning.

Smile Bookstore

Hey guys.. I recently got the Samsung E65 and I'm delighted with it, however I do have one problem. Is it possible to change the default bookstore from WH Smith to something else? I know I can just buy they online from my laptop but just curious.. Thanks!
odeazy is offline   Reply With Quote