Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 11-01-2010, 06:19 PM   #16
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I couldn't resist. I ordered mine today.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 07:22 PM   #17
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'll get one in 25 days.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
lionel47
Addict
lionel47 doesn't litterlionel47 doesn't litter

Device: B&N Nook, Nook Color
I just bought a new Nook classic and now I'm wondering whether to return it before the 14 day chumpy. The question is, would I read as much off an LCD?
lionel47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:26 PM   #19
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionel47 View Post
I just bought a new Nook classic and now I'm wondering whether to return it before the 14 day chumpy. The question is, would I read as much off an LCD?
I am very happy with my current nook as an ereader. I am getting the color nook for:
  • reading magazines w/color
  • experimenting with some of the new animated color content (kids stuff, etc)
  • graphic novels, comic books, etc.
  • movies
  • pdf support, pinch zoom, etc, great for work
  • reading books sometimes
  • picture galleries (dogs, bikes, vacations) to show friends at work
  • experimenting with multi-touch interfaces
  • random android hacking/experimenting in java

At work they discourage paper copies of documents for various iso9000 style reasons. Drives me nuts as my work is already taking up 3-5 terminals, a code editor and a few browser windows. I don't want to supposedly be keeping a iso process document open live from our doc store open. So I will open them on my color nook if/when I need to.

I may port the app we use for iphones to schedule movies on DVRs over to android as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:01 AM   #20
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I am very happy with my current nook as an ereader. I am getting the color nook for:
  • movies
  • pdf support, pinch zoom, etc, great for work
  • reading books sometimes
  • picture galleries (dogs, bikes, vacations) to show friends at work
  • experimenting with multi-touch interfaces
  • random android hacking/experimenting in java
Do you know for a fact that you can use NOOKColor for those things or this was just your wish list?
I am on the fence right now and am wondering if it's at all possible to use it for all those things you mentioned... I have tons of PDF's with tables and formatting that just falls apart when displayed on nook classic.
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 12:08 AM   #21
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
Do you know for a fact that you can use NOOKColor for those things or this was just your wish list?
I am on the fence right now and am wondering if it's at all possible to use it for all those things you mentioned... I have tons of PDF's with tables and formatting that just falls apart when displayed on nook classic.
I can confirm
  • mpeg4 support for movie playback
  • pdf support with multi-touch zoom etc.
  • picture slideshow, galleries
android development will be available via the SDK they are offering for nook color work. I will hack mine as soon as possible for generic android hacking.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:20 AM   #22
varelov
Enthusiast
varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.varelov once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I can confirm
  • mpeg4 support for movie playback
  • pdf support with multi-touch zoom etc.
  • picture slideshow, galleries
android development will be available via the SDK they are offering for nook color work. I will hack mine as soon as possible for generic android hacking.
When you mentioned movies I thought of YouTube videos. That will play too? So you could essentially use it as a tablet?
varelov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:45 AM   #23
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by varelov View Post
When you mentioned movies I thought of YouTube videos. That will play too? So you could essentially use it as a tablet?
Flash support will require the next version of android which B&N has promised in 6 months or so on the color nook. The color nook hw at release will run the new android when it is out. So there is no need to wait for new HW.

The first version will not have flash, so no youtube at first. But it will get there. And there may be some workaround as mpeg4 is the "HD" version of youtube so the color nook may have youtube. That is how the iphone does youtube without flash. Once it is in my hands I will be able to say more about what can be done out of the box and what can be done with minimal user workarounds and what can be done with hacking.

I will hack the heck out of it at some point but I may end up with two of them if I decide to get really down to the bare iron on it. One that I keep basically untouched and one for complete experimental discovery. But getting two really means I convinced my wife to let me. And that the first one is a success.

I was impressed at how the SW on the original nook was handled. It got better with every release and they didn't come out with incompatible future HW and stop offering features on the original nook. The original nook HW runs the current ereader SW version and gets excellent performance. That is a pretty good track record.

I wish the product I support could say the same. We made some "errors" in our design so the product I run in my home doesn't have the full feature set now available. No need to say more. (none of this paragraph relates to ereaders or the nook)

I am very excited about the color nook and can't wait until the 19th or 20th when I will receive mine.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:29 AM   #24
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaReader View Post
Placed my preorder for the NookColor about midway through the the 30 minute announcement event. Already received the email confirmation of the intended shipping date of 11-19. Hope they stay on schedule.
I ordered mine the same way. So looking forward to this one.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:37 AM   #25
Mare of Earth
Leaver of Hoofmarks
Mare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notesMare of Earth can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle Paperwhite 4
Me.

Hopefully this will be as awesome as I think it will be.
Mare of Earth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:36 AM   #26
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Everyone's talking about purses. I feel left out. Maybe I should get a man purse.
Look at Tom bihn. That's what I use.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:04 PM   #27
encapuchado
Banned
encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encapuchado ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Black Sony Touch (650)
I will wait for the reviews.
encapuchado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #28
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
Color is a miraculous attraction, I hope you love your purchase. Come give us a review when you get it.
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #29
Ghiizhar
Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghiizhar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Ordered it last night, cancelled the order today. Decided to wait and see what Amazon and others come out with, and hear some reviews.

Never read about, then order, cool new gadgets after having a couple of brewski's
Ghiizhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:48 AM   #30
ST-One
Addict
ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.ST-One can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Icarus8, Kindle DXG
I ordered one on Thursday
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote