Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-17-2018, 02:31 PM   #1
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo
Oasis 2 backlighting

Just got a oasis 2, love the size of it but down the farthest away from electronics and led side the screen looks slightly darker (only very slightly). You can only notice it in the right light, and others I asked to look at it could not see it at all. See attached photo as an axample you can very slightly see it.
When I have google it people seem to say it’s expected as the leds are down the side so you notice it more, others say they swapped first one and second was better, trouble is I don’t know how bad a bad one is, more worried about the bottom left as too me the text does not look as crisp but that may be kind over matter. Would appreciate some advise, John Lewis have been helpful and said to just bring it in.

As for the battery in the kindle, I read 60% of a 340 (number of pages listed on amazon) page book over most of the day and used 50% battery, only had one book on and it had been charged over night after adding book and with it being new I was checking back lightnlevel with was on full most of time, is that about normal usage for a ereader ?

Appreciate any advise you can give

Ste
stethorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
It's not a back light. It's a front light. You cannot shine a light through the eInk screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
stethorn
Connoisseur
stethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of lightstethorn is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not a back light. It's a front light. You cannot shine a light through the eInk screen.
Ok, but should the screen be uniform or is it because I’m expecting too much. It’s hard to notice it, but I’m looking as went through a load of 1st paperwhites before giving up the screen was that bad.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Your last paragraph is a little garbled, but if I understood you correctly, you spend most of a day reading with the light full on and used 50% of the battery? If so, yes, that is normal. High light levels will drain the battery quickly, as will leaving WiFi turned on. To maximise battery life, set the light level as low as is comfortable to read with (I rarely have mine above about level 8) and put the device into aeroplane mode.

A slight fall-off in illumination on the side away from the buttons is entirely normal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #5
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Your last paragraph is a little garbled, but if I understood you correctly, you spend most of a day reading with the light full on and used 50% of the battery? If so, yes, that is normal. High light levels will drain the battery quickly, as will leaving WiFi turned on. To maximise battery life, set the light level as low as is comfortable to read with (I rarely have mine above about level 8) and put the device into aeroplane mode.

A slight fall-off in illumination on the side away from the buttons is entirely normal.
In addition, it is the people who have the brightness set close to or full-on maximum who will tend to notice screen lighting differences in areas of the screen. In my Voyage and Oasis 1 set at 10-12 (about half-way) there are absolutely no differences.
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
Just got a oasis 2, love the size of it but down the farthest away from electronics and led side the screen looks slightly darker (only very slightly). You can only notice it in the right light, and others I asked to look at it could not see it at all. See attached photo as an axample you can very slightly see it.
When I have google it people seem to say it’s expected as the leds are down the side so you notice it more, others say they swapped first one and second was better, trouble is I don’t know how bad a bad one is, more worried about the bottom left as too me the text does not look as crisp but that may be kind over matter. Would appreciate some advise, John Lewis have been helpful and said to just bring it in.

As for the battery in the kindle, I read 60% of a 340 (number of pages listed on amazon) page book over most of the day and used 50% battery, only had one book on and it had been charged over night after adding book and with it being new I was checking back lightnlevel with was on full most of time, is that about normal usage for a ereader ?

Appreciate any advise you can give

Ste
I didn't see any attached picture.

If the light brightness is at maximum, the battery drain is 3 or 4 times higher than with the light off. If you have wifi on all the time, that will affect battery life as well.

You can see pictures of an Oasis 2 next to a Voyage at various brightnesses from 1 to 24 in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336

From your description of what you and others see, your screen is probably as even as can be expected. That is, you are more likely to get the same or worse than better if you exchange it.
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:51 PM   #7
stethorn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I didn't see any attached picture.

If the light brightness is at maximum, the battery drain is 3 or 4 times higher than with the light off. If you have wifi on all the time, that will affect battery life as well.

You can see pictures of an Oasis 2 next to a Voyage at various brightnesses from 1 to 24 in this thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=292336

From your description of what you and others see, your screen is probably as even as can be expected. That is, you are more likely to get the same or worse than better if you exchange it.
Cheers for pointing those images out, tried adding the photo again looks like it worked this time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A2AF014F-8E13-4F54-B183-56EBFA2218A2.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	691.8 KB
ID:	162859  
Old 03-17-2018, 09:28 PM   #8
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I think the light is uniform but not as bright and crisp as my paperwhite for some reason
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:57 AM   #9
stethorn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I think the light is uniform but not as bright and crisp as my paperwhite for some reason
It was just a quick snap so not beat quality, no idea of light level but the font is bookerly set at smallest font made bolder to pretty much maximum (1 step from max).

Very tempted to swap for a paper white, the main reason I went with oasis was the fact it was latest model and had page turn buttons, bigger screen and water proof (although main reason I want that is confidence if kids knock a drink over it !)
Old 03-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
Dave M
Dave M began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post

Do you set the brightness and then turn auto brightness off?

Also, and I’ve asked this in other threads, which case/cover (if any) do you guys recommend? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Dave M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 PM   #11
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by stethorn View Post
It was just a quick snap so not beat quality, no idea of light level but the font is bookerly set at smallest font made bolder to pretty much maximum (1 step from max).

Very tempted to swap for a paper white, the main reason I went with oasis was the fact it was latest model and had page turn buttons, bigger screen and water proof (although main reason I want that is confidence if kids knock a drink over it !)
I have both lol.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #12
stethorn
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
I have both lol.
Getting use to it now that I am addicted to reading. Just concerned now with you mentioning that the picture I posted the other day wasn’t as crisp as the paper white, battery seems much better now as well.