Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-11-2018, 09:40 PM   #31
sirdave
sirdave began at the beginning.

Device: original Kindle, Kindle DX, Keyboard Kindle, Voyager, Oasis1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing most don't get or tend to ignore is that eInk screens used in Readers have a glass substrate. So having the thinner part of the Oasis be where the glass substraite is makes the Oasis more fragile. To me, that's not a good thing. That's why I would prefer a 7" Voyage.
Well, that's your theory, but in fact, the thin part, as has been described more than once, is not at all fragile.
sirdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #32
sirdave

One of the benefits of the Oasis 1 is how tiny it is off the cover which makes it easily pocketable. I believe that it is the tiniest 6 inch e-ink ereader ever made and second tiniest of any e-ink reader, second only to the Kobo Mini with its 5 inch screen, no longer manufactured by Kobo. The Oasis is only 26.9 sq.in. The Kobo Mini is 20.9 sq.in.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:38 AM   #33
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
The most terrible thing about the Kindle is how horrible the mobile apps treat books emailed to the cloud. They outright refuse to display them in any other format than „old mobi“ which makes for some pretty ugly pages in many cases.
That being said, it is still the only platform that supports the reading of personal documents across (almost) the entire range of apps and devices. And dictionary support is simply outstanding!
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 04:51 AM   #34
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdave View Post
One of the benefits of the Oasis 1 is how tiny it is off the cover which makes it easily pocketable. I believe that it is the tiniest 6 inch e-ink ereader ever made and second tiniest of any e-ink reader, second only to the Kobo Mini with its 5 inch screen, no longer manufactured by Kobo. The Oasis is only 26.9 sq.in. The Kobo Mini is 20.9 sq.in.
It’s also extremely light.

If there was a hack to disable touchscreen like its sibling it would be a good ereader for me.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdave View Post
Well, that's your theory, but in fact, the thin part, as has been described more than once, is not at all fragile.
And you are sure it's not all that fragile how?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 06:06 AM   #36
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
If the Oasis 1 had a problem with durability I would think it would show up in amazon reviews of all places. But most of the negative reviews seem to be about the battery.

I don’t know if there is anything to it but did read one comment here though:

Quote:
I too was disappointed by the battery life initially, but after using the Oasis for a few months, it's battery needs charging less and less. Now only need to charge every month or two. Could be to do with the indexing of new books added to the device
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:47 AM   #37
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
The most terrible thing about the Kindle is how horrible the mobile apps treat books emailed to the cloud. They outright refuse to display them in any other format than „old mobi“ which makes for some pretty ugly pages in many cases.
That is true for the iOS app because it does not support the newer KF8 format, but the Kindle for Android app does not have that limitation.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #38
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That is true for the iOS app because it does not support the newer KF8 format, but the Kindle for Android app does not have that limitation.
Oh! I honestly did not know that! Does the Android app support the copying of highlighted text to other apps?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #39
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Does the Android app support the copying of highlighted text to other apps?
Yes, one at a time, just the text without formatting, subject to the limit set for the book by the publisher.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 02:29 AM   #40
sirdave

Got my hands on an Oasis 2 for the first time and the experience reinforced my preference for the Oasis 1. The Oasis 2 is larger and heavier than I expected. It's not that it is particularly large or heavy; it's just that if you are used to the Oasis 1 and have grown to really like the ability to hold it with one hand and easily put it in any pocket, you may regret the switch to the Oasis 2.

I will say that I can't understand why Amazon dropped the Oasis 1. There is nothing that directly competes or compares with it. IMO, it's only major flaw was the price.