Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcDS View Post
When everything works I will make a small kind of user guide that might be added to sticky notes maybe
Post it as a new thread in the Related Tool sub-forum, send me a link and I'll add it to this sticky thread ==>> Useful Related Tools Threads

Why don't you do the initial synch from your pc to your phone via USB, and just do updates from a cloud service like OD or DB.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 02:37 AM   #17
MarcDS
Enthusiast
MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.

Device: Windows 10 PC, Windows 10 Tablet, Samsung Phone
Excellent idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Post it as a new thread in the Related Tool sub-forum, send me a link and I'll add it to this sticky thread ==>> Useful Related Tools Threads

Why don't you do the initial synch from your pc to your phone via USB, and just do updates from a cloud service like OD or DB.

BR
Excellent idea. I did not think of doing initial sync via USB, and now the sync to tablet is finished and to phone almost finished.
MarcDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:16 AM   #18
MarcDS
Enthusiast
MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.MarcDS knows who John Galt is.

I have now:
Stopped Onedrive
Added book in Calibre
Started Onedrive
Onedrive sees the change and syncs in to the cloud
I open my tablet and see that Onedrive is syncing. I find the new book in the Calibre Library folder with the file manager (good) but I don't see the book when I open Calibre.

What to do to ensure Calibre knows a book has been added in its file structure? What to do to automate this?
Old 02-18-2018, 03:14 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
It sounds as if you started Calibre before the sync finished. You must not start Calibre until the Metadata.db File has been synced as that controls what books Calibre shows.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:46 AM   #20
MarcDS
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
It sounds as if you started Calibre before the sync finished. You must not start Calibre until the Metadata.db File has been synced as that controls what books Calibre shows.
I dont think so. Hovering the moue over the Onedrive icon showed Onedrive up to date. To be sure I paused Onedrive again on laptop cleaned the library with Calibre and closed Calibre. After resuming Onedrive it synced around 12 Mb of data. After this sync was finished I saw on the tablet that Onedrive was also syncing same 12Mb/ When it said Onedrive up to date I paused Onedrive and started Calibre. The book is still missing.
Old 02-18-2018, 03:53 AM   #21
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
I dont think so. Hovering the moue over the Onedrive icon showed Onedrive up to date. To be sure I paused Onedrive again on laptop cleaned the library with Calibre and closed Calibre. After resuming Onedrive it synced around 12 Mb of data. After this sync was finished I saw on the tablet that Onedrive was also syncing same 12Mb/ When it said Onedrive up to date I paused Onedrive and started Calibre. The book is still missing.
In that case there is a problem with OneDrive as it is the ‘metadata.db’ File that Control’s what books Calibre shows (and not the presence of the actual ebook files). If you are describing exactly what has happened then the changes made to metadata.db on the first computer are not being propagated to the second one. This normally means that either Calibre is still running on the first computer (and thus locking this file) or there has not been sufficient time allowed for this file to sync.

It is also worth noting that the ebook files can start syncing as soon as they are added to Calibre on the first machine, but the metadata.db File cannot be synced until Calibre has been closed down. It could also be worth checking that you have not ended up with a ‘conflicted’ version of this file on the two machines dues to timing issues when updating and then syncing.

Last edited by itimpi; 02-18-2018 at 04:22 AM.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:37 AM   #22
MarcDS
Enthusiast

Found the problem. Stupid mistake of me. On tablet Calibre looks for library on Onedrive. Should have been Onedrive\Calibre. Changed it. Everything works correctly now.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:44 PM   #23
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Quote:
I have now:
Stopped Onedrive
Added book in Calibre
Started Onedrive
Onedrive sees the change and syncs in to the cloud
I open my tablet and see that Onedrive is syncing. I find the new book in the Calibre Library folder with the file manager (good) but I don't see the book when I open Calibre.

What to do to ensure Calibre knows a book has been added in its file structure? What to do to automate this?
There is one important step missing.

After adding the book, stop Calibre. But I assume you did this...

Otherwise there will be problems syncing the database, since the database file is open.
Adoby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #24
MarcDS
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
There is one important step missing.

After adding the book, stop Calibre. But I assume you did this...

Otherwise there will be problems syncing the database, since the database file is open.
Yes I did. Still some problems with my phone. I will try out a few more things and if I cannot solve it I come back with new questions

Thanks
Old 02-19-2018, 03:32 AM   #25
MarcDS
Enthusiast

Guideline is complete

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

BR
Please find the complete guideline under Related tools. Thread is named "Guideline for Syncing Calibre library to other devices "
Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 AM   #26
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Please find the complete guideline under Related tools. Thread is named "Guideline for Syncing Calibre library to other devices "
See your PM inbox.

Thanks for this

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, onedrive, sync