Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-08-2018, 07:27 PM   #16
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Mine had issues after I'd delete a book. I had to reboot it often which took care of any issues it had, but between the shiny plastic and the constant rebooting, I was very happy to get my hands on a T2.
Rebooting would also temporarily fix the dictionary freeze issue. That was really the main problem I had with it. I use the dictionary a lot so it became annoying. For someone who rarely uses the dictionary it would be less of an issue.

The double page turn didn't happen to me very often. It could be confusing, though, if it happened between sentences or paragraphs, sometimes it took me a minute to figure out what had happened!
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:00 PM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
Rebooting would also temporarily fix the dictionary freeze issue. That was really the main problem I had with it. I use the dictionary a lot so it became annoying. For someone who rarely uses the dictionary it would be less of an issue.
I'll probably be okay since I don't use the dictionary much. But it's nice to know what to watch for.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:34 PM   #18
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'll probably be okay since I don't use the dictionary much. But it's nice to know what to watch for.
It didn't start happening until I'd been using it for a few years, so maybe you will get some freeze-free use out of it
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:19 PM   #19
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Dell Axim x51v, Bookeen CyBook Gen 3, Sony PRS-T1
I had given up on using the dictionary because it seemed to crash the reader every time I tried.

So I just tried resetting my reader, and the dictionary worked, but then I put it to sleep, woke it up, and tried again and it crashed the reader. So basically useless, for me. But I can look stuff up on my phone if I really need to.

The double-page turn thing seems to happen about every 20 pages or so, both using the page-turn button and swiping on the touchscreen. It's annoying (and like 4691mls, I've occasionally been confused by a sudden jump in the narrative) but I could probably live with it - worse still is when the reader crashes for no apparent reason, typically losing my place in the book as it does.

I take it no-one has any thoughts/advice on rooting/upgrading the firmware?
i, Podius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 02:28 PM   #20
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
The double-page turn thing seems to happen about every 20 pages or so, both using the page-turn button and swiping on the touchscreen. It's annoying (and like 4691mls, I've occasionally been confused by a sudden jump in the narrative) but I could probably live with it - worse still is when the reader crashes for no apparent reason, typically losing my place in the book as it does.

I take it no-one has any thoughts/advice on rooting/upgrading the firmware?
Sorry on the rooting ... I don't know anything about how to go about it – so am no help here. It seems like I read somewhere that the latest update killed that ability. As for the issues you mention above, I'm running into all of them with my "new" T1 also. It's not so bad that I won't use the T1, but I can see why folks were anxious to upgrade to the T2. This couldn't have helped Sony compete at the time. I'm trying to figure out why Sony didn't do a complete upgrade of the T1's firmware after the T2 came out. It's a shame because, pre-Android, Sony made solid firmware.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:42 AM   #21
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
I'm curious if anyone who has found persistent problems, like dictionary issues, has tried wiping their reader by using a recovery image and then reflashing to the most recent firmware.
Theoretically, a factory reset should fix all issues barring hardware problems, but it really doesn't.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 AM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post
I'm curious if anyone who has found persistent problems, like dictionary issues, has tried wiping their reader by using a recovery image and then reflashing to the most recent firmware.
Theoretically, a factory reset should fix all issues barring hardware problems, but it really doesn't.
Is a Sony T1 recovery image even be available? If it is, it wold be interesting to see if a T1 could be flashed to T2 software. (I guess you would lose Audio, though.)
Old 02-13-2018, 03:42 AM   #23
i, Podius
Enthusiast
i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.i, Podius has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
A factory reset wouldn't fix the issue if it's an underlying software issue...
Old 02-14-2018, 01:05 AM   #24
DoctorM
Groupie
DoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and graceDoctorM herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by i, Podius View Post
A factory reset wouldn't fix the issue if it's an underlying software issue...
True, but there are people reporting re-occurring issues with the dictionary and such that other people have never seen. So that means either there is some bad data that a factory reset doesn't fix or a hardware problems. If it was a firmware issue, EVERYONE would have that problem.

In the past I've recovered a bricked reader, that among other things required using Porkupan's rescue package. (It then requires some hex editing to fix firmware version numbers and reflashing to the current one.)

By extension, there are restore-sets, design for de-rooting, but IIRC completely wipe the internal storage. So while it may take some hex editing as mentioned above, at that point, there should be nothing left of any remnant crap from a bad firmware flash.
DoctorM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 03:55 AM   #25
i, Podius
Enthusiast

Quote:
True, but there are people reporting re-occurring issues with the dictionary and such that other people have never seen. So that means either there is some bad data that a factory reset doesn't fix or a hardware problems. If it was a firmware issue, EVERYONE would have that problem.
It's entirely possible that everyone might have a software problem, but the majority never experience it - if, for example, the dictionary-crash bug only occurred if a user has their location set to a particular country, and their default font size to a specific size, then some users would experience it consistently, whilst others would never experience it all. It's a delightful feature of software complexity.

Quote:
In the past I've recovered a bricked reader, that among other things required using Porkupan's rescue package. (It then requires some hex editing to fix firmware version numbers and reflashing to the current one.)

By extension, there are restore-sets, design for de-rooting, but IIRC completely wipe the internal storage. So while it may take some hex editing as mentioned above, at that point, there should be nothing left of any remnant crap from a bad firmware flash.
I had read somewhere that some bugs could be fixed by re-formatting the partitions on the reader, but that apparently required that you had a second reader to then copy the partitions from afterwards. I didn't know about Porkupan's rescue package; this is interesting information. Can I use it to restore my reader if I've updated to a newer version of the firmware?