Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-06-2018, 02:49 AM   #136
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The switch from LRF/X to ePub happened years before the release of the T series. IIRC it was with the PRS-505.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:16 AM   #137
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
Prior to Christmas Amazon had the Kindle Basic refurbished units available for $40. Same price offered during their earlier 10th anniversary Kindle sale too. Same warranty as the new ones and mine appeared to be new. Not a scratch on it. Quite a bargain unless you do not care for capacitive touch screens.
I bought one of these during the Kindle Anniversary sale (as you say, for $40 for a "like new" "refurbished" unit -- I don't know that mine had any use at all). I added a Fintie case to it and it's a nice reader. It doesn't get as much use as some of my other Kindles because I normally read at night, in poor light, and the thin Fintie flap doesn't hold my E-Luminator as well as my other cases. Also, I wanted to put the Constantina font on it, jailbroke it, but the font hack wouldn't work with this release. So I un-jailbroke it and went back to stock. By then the new firmware release allowed bolding (as you've mentioned) so it wasn't as big of a deal. But the 8th Generation Kindle may be one of them I'm going to sell. I don't know for sure yet.

I should mention, however, that the 8th Generation Kindle Basic (KT3) is not capacitive, it's infrared just like the original Touch.

Quote:
I still personally think that the Sony infrared touch screen was about the best of the ebook reader versions. Better than capacitive screens and better resolution than the Kindle Touch infrared screen.
I've been busy converting Kindle books for the "new" Sony T1 (mostly religious and historical for Lent reading). With its lighted case I think this is going to be my main non-library (non-novel) book reader. I've got Calibre (with de-DRM plugin) to convert these books consistently, using Constantina and the margins I like and the T1's screen is about the best of the Pearl era screens that I've seen. I will also be able to load some speeches/sermons/music on the T1 which fits in with the purpose of this reader. The Kindle Keyboard and Touch have an MP3 players, but no way to navigate and choose specific files -- so kind of useless for my purpose.

I want to thank you again for the T1/T2 lighted cover link.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:27 AM   #138
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I've got the 8th Generation Kindle. I like it okay, but I like the Keyboard better because the fonts seem sharper. The 8th Generation is definitely "snappier" and has features the Keyboard doesn't, but once I'm in the book "turning pages" none of that really matters much.
The problem you are seeing is that the fonts on the older Kindle seem darker easier to see. On the newer Kindle, the same fonts are lighter and seem less sharp. But with the new firmware that allowing increasing the weight of the fonts, the newer Kindle should look better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 06:30 AM   #139
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
One thing I note about Sony is that their backwards compatibility apparently sucked. Per the manuals the T series dropped support for the original Sony ebook format files, those ending in .LRF and .LRX. Did they offer a conversion service or leave owners who updated their readers in the lurch? A Kindle 1 can still go online and buy Amazon books or download from an owner's Amazon cloud.
.LRF can be converted to ePub with Calibre.

If you had LRX, you should have ePub from when the Sony Store switched from LRX to ePub. So that is a non-issue. And when Sony stopped their store, your eBooks were moved to Kobo. So again, a non-issue. If it is an issue, it's because you didn't deal with things back when you should have,
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 03:53 PM   #140
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
.LRF can be converted to ePub with Calibre.

If you had LRX, you should have ePub from when the Sony Store switched from LRX to ePub. So that is a non-issue. And when Sony stopped their store, your eBooks were moved to Kobo. So again, a non-issue. If it is an issue, it's because you didn't deal with things back when you should have,
Total BS as my Sony purchases are all used items bought relatively recently, Long after Sony support ended. You jumped to an incorrect conclusion.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 05:50 PM   #141
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem you are seeing is that the fonts on the older Kindle seem darker easier to see. On the newer Kindle, the same fonts are lighter and seem less sharp. But with the new firmware that allowing increasing the weight of the fonts, the newer Kindle should look better.
Unfortunately, with each level of "boldness," you lose some of the font's shape and finer lines. I find with Palatino that level "2" is about as high as I want to go – maybe "3" when I've got the font at size "3". It's definitely better than it was before the bolding feature, however. If I had a lighted case I wouldn't have any problem using the 8th Generation Basic (KT3). I don't know yet what the new update is going to add to the mix – it looks to have fairly minor additions.

Last edited by rcentros; 02-06-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:45 AM   #142
Ghitulescu
Fanatic
Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ghitulescu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
One thing I note about Sony is that their backwards compatibility apparently sucked. Per the manuals the T series dropped support for the original Sony ebook format files, those ending in .LRF and .LRX. Did they offer a conversion service or leave owners who updated their readers in the lurch? A Kindle 1 can still go online and buy Amazon books or download from an owner's Amazon cloud.
LRX/LRF was a proprietary format AFAIK.
Good they dropped it in favour of the open spec ePub.
Should have done this also with MemoryStick and proprietary batteries, they would have been higher in sales (they dropped these for Pro devices, though).
Ghitulescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:15 PM   #143
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghitulescu View Post
LRX/LRF was a proprietary format AFAIK.
Good they dropped it in favour of the open spec ePub.
Should have done this also with MemoryStick and proprietary batteries, they would have been higher in sales (they dropped these for Pro devices, though).
Proprietary batteries? Don't (didn't) all the eReader manufacturers use proprietary batteries? As for the MemoryStick, at least on the Readers, they also provided SD Card slots. They lost out on Betamax, won on BluRay (but the long battle between BluRay and HD-DVD kind of opened the door – more widely at least – for streaming to take over).
Old 02-09-2018, 06:36 PM   #144
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
From what I see once you get beyond single cell Lithium batteries such as the CR123A and 18650, they are all either custom flat pack batteries such as used in virtually all current thin tablets, phones and ebook readers or custom packs for portable computers made up of multiple 18650 or 26650 cells. Based on offerings on ebay, Amazon and other web sites there are virtually hundreds to thousands of these battery sizes as virtually every new model tablet or phone has it's own unique battery.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 02:14 AM   #145
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Looking on ebay I note that the late model Sony E-readers such as the T2, T3 and 950 seem to be listed for some pretty outrageous prices even though they have minimal Sony support any more. One seller lists a new PRS-T2 for $240, reduced from $399. Do people actually pay those prices? Even a PRS-600 is listed for $420 and a new T3 for $308.

I realize that some ebay sellers are total optimists in their asking prices but does any one buy these to me grossly overpriced units, and if so why?
I know this has probably been mentioned in earlier posts but goodwill has cheap used sony ereaders available sold as is in an auction format.

Sony Digital Book eReader Lot of 3 PRS 300/350
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51202249
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 PM   #146
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky D'Angelo View Post
I know this has probably been mentioned in earlier posts but goodwill has cheap used sony ereaders available sold as is in an auction format.

Sony Digital Book eReader Lot of 3 PRS 300/350
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51202249
I have a "whole house full" of Sony Readers because of Shop Goodwill and Mercari now. I need an intervention.

Also up now ... a red T2 (with two 600s).

https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/51204994
Old 04-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #147
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
A fair share of my Sony collection has come from shopgoodwill also.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #148
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Thank goodness I am not badly tempted to get Sony readers. I have way more readers than I need and am still struggling to part with a few more. My love is Kindle Keyboards (I have 5 although one is on its last powerups).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #149
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
Thank goodness I am not badly tempted to get Sony readers. I have way more readers than I need and am still struggling to part with a few more. My love is Kindle Keyboards (I have 5 although one is on its last powerups).
They've got lots of Kindle Keyboards on shopgoodwill also ... cheap, very cheap ...
Old 04-10-2018, 10:25 AM   #150
PatGIV
Connoisseur
PatGIV began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 & 2 ea. of T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
They've got lots of Kindle Keyboards on shopgoodwill also ... cheap, very cheap ...
Have the readers @ shopgoodwill been reworked are do you buy "as is"? Generally speaking, what is the condition of the readers? Usually as they say, you get what you pay for. Is that the case there?
PatGIV is offline   Reply With Quote