Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-12-2009, 06:35 PM   #1
ChazH
ChazH began at the beginning.

Device: none
Question Any issues with eBay Kindle purchase?

Besides the normal eBay scams, are there any issues with buying a Kindle if its new in box?

I thought when you purchased one from Amazon, it was linked to the Amazon account used to purchase it. If that is the case, is there a "reset" on the Kindle enabling you to link a new account?

Thanks
ChazH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
The prev owner will have (should have) un-registered it from their account. Heck, they don't want you buying books on their credit card! So you would just re-register it to your own USA based credit card. I'm not sure if you get the same warantee rights, though -- so I personally wouldn't pay as much as Amazon's price. I know -- people list them on eBay for MORE than Amazon's price, cuz they "have it in hand, now!" It's up to you, how much you want to pay for the privilege of having it, fast.

I *DO* really like my Kindle, though!!!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check with Amazon about the warranty and make sure you can actually get such. It would be a shame to purchase a Kindle that didn't have a warranty.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazH View Post
I thought when you purchased one from Amazon, it was linked to the Amazon account used to purchase it. If that is the case, is there a "reset" on the Kindle enabling you to link a new account?
When you purchase a Kindle you can specify that it is a gift. If you do this they will not pre-register the Kindle to your account.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
When you purchase a Kindle you can specify that it is a gift. If you do this they will not pre-register the Kindle to your account.

BOb
Hrrmm, I missed that option I think when I bought my stepdad's Kindle. We deregistered and registered easily enough though.

Or maybe not, it's all foggy now...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
We deregistered and registered easily enough though.
Yep, that of course works too.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:35 AM   #7
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
The prev owner will have (should have) un-registered it from their account. Heck, they don't want you buying books on their credit card! So you would just re-register it to your own USA based credit card. I'm not sure if you get the same warantee rights, though -- so I personally wouldn't pay as much as Amazon's price. I know -- people list them on eBay for MORE than Amazon's price, cuz they "have it in hand, now!" It's up to you, how much you want to pay for the privilege of having it, fast.

I *DO* really like my Kindle, though!!!
warrenties transfer.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebay, kindle, used reader