Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2019, 07:28 AM   #226
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO H2O,Inkpad 4,ONYX Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourneur View Post
I'm talking about the screen with the front light turned off.
Sorry you're right. Even so, the Kobo Libra H2O substrate is 8% -10% with a 3% darker deviation (Compared to Kobo Clara HD). Measured by probe with light OFF.
* If you do not have a probe, you can compare the level of sitting using photos -> and then compare (gray / level)

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-19-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Michal Jancik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:29 AM   #227
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
This problem was reflected in the first version of Kobo Clara HD. This problem was fixed in later models that were released later.

I had the same problem (Kobo Clara purchased right after release). Another Kobo Clara HD model (purchased March 2019) has already been fixed / fixed
But my Clara HD was from this year (or at least I bought it this year).

I sold it after a few weeks....
SusanReads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 07:33 AM   #228
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English
Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michal Jancik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
But my Clara HD was from this year (or at least I bought it this year).

I sold it after a few weeks....
I am sorry, I have experienced this disappointment several times. You may have bought this year but it was probably still in the store
previous model

Kobo Clara HD model (without negative impact):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kobo Clara V2.png
Views:	1847
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	173567  

Last edited by Michal Jancik; 09-19-2019 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:37 AM   #229
SusanReads
Addict
SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SusanReads ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The things you mention and show in your pictures about your Libra, Michal, are so different from my Libra it's strange. I think there are a lot of differences per device tbh. Not good, Kobo...

But at least I'm glad my Libra is everything I'd hoped for.

Perhaps you should try another one? If you can return this one that is.
Old 09-19-2019, 07:41 AM   #230
SusanReads
Addict

You can't see it very clearly, but there was a definite difference between these two screens (and not just as an optical illusion). The white one's screen was almost blueish and the black screen was sickly yellow.

My current Libra's screen is nice and white.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knipsel.JPG
Views:	697
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	173566  
Old 09-19-2019, 09:39 AM   #231
disconnected
Fanatic
disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.disconnected ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra, H2O2e2, Clara, Auras, Kindles, Nooks, Sony, iPAQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanReads View Post
Sorry I can't comment on any comparison to the Forma since I've never held one. But The Libra is definitely hard plastic, and that's just fine with me. The rubbery ones always leave so many fingerprints. I'm very happy with the plastic.

I can agree on what you said about the Oasis. Cold, sharp, doesn't feel nice. The Libra is not that different in size and weight, but it doesn't feel (or look) cold like the Oasis.
Thanks. The white Libra has just shown up on the Walmart site so at least I'll be able to return it easily if I don't like it. I haven't quite made up my mind to order it yet. I think the plastic will make it harder to hold onto than the Forma. That, combined with the more fragile substrate, probably means I'd be reading it with the case on -- and the case weighs half as much as the Libra.

I guess what I really want is a true junior version of the Forma....preferably in red.
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:40 AM   #232
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
To my eye the Clara HD is cool of neutral and the Libra is warm of neutral. I would not describe the Libra as "sickly yellow."

I bought the Libra and I'm very happy with it. The screen uniformity is excellent (but not as good as the Oasis 2 nor the Paperwhite 4). I do have a pinhole (if that is the right term) but other than that it is great. The contrast is very good, not quite as good as the Clara HD nor the Voyage but better than the Aura H2O 2. The Libra is also much more responsive than its predecessor and there is also no false page presses or any other issue with the touch screen. The page buttons are perfect. Neither overly stiff like a Nook nor overly soft like the Forma. The weight is just perfect. I also prefer having a matte screen over a glossy screen (looking like paper instead of like a tablet and not suffering from the fingerprint magnet problem that the Paperwhite 4 does).

The only thing I don't like about this model is that it has the same kind of back as the Clara HD which means in the summer it will be overly sweaty to me.

I'm happy to own a Kobo again, this model is excellent.

I swear that somebody on this thread or another asked about the page numbers. The book page numbers are based on font size now, something that I've always wanted. There is a progress bar on the bottom, which was my favorite part of older Kindles that Amazon did away with. That is my replacement for not seeing my bookmark slowly edge its way to the back of the book. I'm really to see chapter pages and book pages at once instead of having to toggle between them.

I'm a happy camper!
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:07 AM   #233
Michal Jancik
Sorry for my English

Quote:
Originally Posted by haydnfan View Post
The screen uniformity is excellent (but not as good as the Oasis 2 nor the Paperwhite 4). I do have a pinhole (if that is the right term) but other than that it is great. The contrast is very good, not quite as good as the Clara HD nor the Voyage but better than the Aura H2O 2.
+1
I agree with you
Old 09-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #234
Lima7
Connoisseur
Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.Lima7 composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik;1&d=1568890363

- Overall, I must say I'm disappointed. I was expecting a better screen, better contrast and normal backlight. Taking into account the Kobo Libra H2O price, the previous model Kobo H2O v2 has a sharper font and significantly better backlight and contrast.

Kobo Libra H2O for its price is really very average.
Surprised to read this. My Clara has a better screen than Aura H2O v2 and my Libra’s screen is ever better.
Lima7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:13 PM   #235
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Ignoring FRONTLIGHT, just daylight and room lighting, how white or grey is the screen compared to the original Aura HD H2O model?

It's impossible to compare built-in illumination accurately and besides I rarely use that on my PaperWhite 3 or original Aura HD H2O. To me the whole point of eink is to use the ambient light, same as if I was reading a paperback.

I think my original Aura HD H2O was about €220 and the Libra H2O today from same LOCAL outlet (Argos) is €180 approximately. (Inc VAT). The advantage of local is I can return and get a refund even the same day with no shipping delay or charges. Also the 2 year SOGA warranty is easier to claim on with a local outlet.

Last edited by Quoth; 09-21-2019 at 03:16 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:28 PM   #236
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lima7 View Post
Surprised to read this. My Clara has a better screen than Aura H2O v2 and my Libra’s screen is ever better.
Surprised you’re surprised since you’ve said the Libra has a better screen than the Forma when they use the same at different cut sizes.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 03:45 PM   #237
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrustratedReader View Post
Ignoring FRONTLIGHT, just daylight and room lighting, how white or grey is the screen compared to the original Aura HD H2O model?

It's impossible to compare built-in illumination accurately and besides I rarely use that on my PaperWhite 3 or original Aura HD H2O. To me the whole point of eink is to use the ambient light, same as if I was reading a paperback.

I think my original Aura HD H2O was about €220 and the Libra H2O today from same LOCAL outlet (Argos) is €180 approximately. (Inc VAT). The advantage of local is I can return and get a refund even the same day with no shipping delay or charges. Also the 2 year SOGA warranty is easier to claim on with a local outlet.
I can’t speak for the Libra but the Forma screen is slightly darker, though it’s only noticeable if you hold the two devices next to each other and try to compare them. It wouldn’t get in my way of reading even were I to opt to not have the backlight on. Both are comparable to a physical book save that there’s no need to worry about uneven lighting since the screen is flat unlike the page.

I’d also note that while you may disagree on the frontlight being good for any time reading the Formas light is better than the original H2Os even at lower brightness levels.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 04:36 PM   #238
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michal Jancik View Post
- Today I got a new KOBO Libra H2O and I'm really disappointed.
Right at the beginning, I had to restart the reader 5x because the touch screen stopped responding.
Any chance you were holding the Libra in your left hand?

Mine arrived Saturday. As a lefty, I tend to want to hold it in my left hand and I was getting really frustrated with the lack of responsiveness of the touch screen. It wasn't letting me use the dictionary, mid-screen tap turned the page rather than turning on the menus, and when I finally got the menus open, touching any of the icons did nothing.

Restarted numerous times, and it seemed to work right for a page turn or two, then I needed to restart again.

Keep in mind, I love the buttons and use them regularly. I was only using the touch screen to tweak the settings, go back to home page, or to (try to) look up a word.

Then I switched it to my right hand....and no more touch-screen irregularities. I had to train myself to always switch to my right hand if I wanted to go to the menus or look up a word.

Not ideal, definitely, and a stupid bug, if that's what it is. But I was able to finish my book with only a hesitation here and there when I had to remember to switch hands.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:02 PM   #239
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
Any chance you were holding the Libra in your left hand?

Mine arrived Saturday. As a lefty, I tend to want to hold it in my left hand and I was getting really frustrated with the lack of responsiveness of the touch screen. It wasn't letting me use the dictionary, mid-screen tap turned the page rather than turning on the menus, and when I finally got the menus open, touching any of the icons did nothing.

Restarted numerous times, and it seemed to work right for a page turn or two, then I needed to restart again.

Keep in mind, I love the buttons and use them regularly. I was only using the touch screen to tweak the settings, go back to home page, or to (try to) look up a word.

Then I switched it to my right hand....and no more touch-screen irregularities. I had to train myself to always switch to my right hand if I wanted to go to the menus or look up a word.

Not ideal, definitely, and a stupid bug, if that's what it is. But I was able to finish my book with only a hesitation here and there when I had to remember to switch hands.
VERY interesting, thank you.I use only my left hand with my H2O2, this is the first report on the Libra to give me pause. I will wait and see if others report similar issues. Hopefully it's just a firmware bug that can be fixed, and nothing more sinister
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 11:15 PM   #240
SusanReads
Addict

I've been using my Libra for 6 days now and I have to mention that the battery life is insane. I read 3 hours yesterday and my battery only went down 3%!

I'm still VERY happy with my Libra. I love the switch from Kindle to Kobo. Kobo devices are just more user friendly.

Also added my own screensaver. So easy to do!