Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 12:48 PM   #31
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
So this year was a disastrous reading year. Not only am I not near my goals, but far more importantly, I found that most of what I read was mediocre. I'm keeping it simple for 2017: 50 books, record what I read regularly (struggled with that this year), and rate books.

I also would like to continue limiting my book purchases, which I did mostly manage this year.
Old 12-07-2016, 04:29 PM   #32
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
There's no way I'd duplicate all the info in my calibre database in a spreadsheet.

However, adding 'date started' and 'date finished' custom columns to calibre might be a good idea. I do have that info, just in posts at MobileRead. And I could start with new books in January.

It might be interesting to be able to sort my read books by date read.

Hmmm.....
You know, I was just thinking it was time for me to add those columns to Calibre. I might even be able to use them to either populate GoodReads, or get populated from it.
Advert
Old 12-15-2016, 11:36 AM   #33
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Out of curiosity I have been tracking the cash value of the books I read on a monthly basis and doing some descriptive statistics on the numbers. I have come up with a mean of $203 per month, median of $196 and Standard Deviation of $78. What does your descriptive statistics look like.
Old 12-15-2016, 01:30 PM   #34
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Out of curiosity I have been tracking the cash value of the books I read on a monthly basis and doing some descriptive statistics on the numbers. I have come up with a mean of $203 per month, median of $196 and Standard Deviation of $78. What does your descriptive statistics look like.
I don't calculate based on cost since most of my books are from the library but I do know that since 2011 I have read 6.8 books per month on average with a median of 6 and a standard deviation of 2.5. Pages per month average are are 2,264 / 2,236 median / 722 std dev.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:33 AM   #35
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Let's see...

The average cost of my bought books that I've read in 2016 was £2.05. Total cost £348.89, which (allowing for the fact we're not yet at year end) works out at about £30/month.

Or do you mean the full retail price?

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-16-2016 at 06:31 AM.
Advert
Old 12-17-2016, 11:17 AM   #36
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Let's see...

The average cost of my bought books that I've read in 2016 was £2.05. Total cost £348.89, which (allowing for the fact we're not yet at year end) works out at about £30/month.

Or do you mean the full retail price?
How close was that to your spending goal?
Old 12-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #37
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
How close was that to your spending goal?
Umm.... 50% more... I was aiming at £20/month.

My target for 2017 is just to end up with my TBR at less than 780 (which is where it started this year). If I also spend less, that'll be a bonus.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:33 AM   #38
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
My goal is to finish the books I set out to read (unless I truly hate them). My habit is to pick up a new book and borrow it and then get very distracted by the next thing I want to read.

I must stop that if I want to truly enjoy the books I read.

Here are my first three in order:

"Watership Down" by Richard Adams. I just learned of his passing in the news. This is a classic I had never gotten around to reading. So this goes first on my list.

"Nineteen Eighty Four". It's one of my favorite books, and I'm reading it to celebrate my purging of my Facebook account

"The Princess Diarist" Carrie Fisher just passed away and I want to read that book. Our family loves Star Wars and her other work, so I want to give that a read.

I have a bunch more on my list, but Those three stood out as having intent for me.
Old 12-29-2016, 12:52 PM   #39
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I've finally decided on my goals for next year. For quantity, the same as this year-- a base goal of 10 books a month (120 books total), and a stretch goal of 14 books a month, 168 total. This year, it looks like I'm going to end up right in the middle of that, somewhere around 145 books, plus or minus a couple.

But more than that are my secondary goals which I expect to be much more challenging:
  • Track every book read, with basic ratings, updating no less often than weekly,
  • Track the $$ spent on books
  • Spend no more tha $40 USD/month on eBooks
This will be a 20% reduction from this year, and only includes ebook costs. (I count audio books, but don't cost them, since the vast majority are Audible credits and that doesn't change year to year, and the rest are all WhisperSync deals. )

Last edited by CRussel; 12-29-2016 at 12:56 PM.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:49 AM   #40
Alohamora
Evangelist
Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alohamora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Fire tablet, ios phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
My goal is to finish the books I set out to read (unless I truly hate them). My habit is to pick up a new book and borrow it and then get very distracted by the next thing I want to read.

I must stop that if I want to truly enjoy the books I read.

Here are my first three in order:

"Watership Down" by Richard Adams. I just learned of his passing in the news. This is a classic I had never gotten around to reading. So this goes first on my list.

"Nineteen Eighty Four". It's one of my favorite books, and I'm reading it to celebrate my purging of my Facebook account

"The Princess Diarist" Carrie Fisher just passed away and I want to read that book. Our family loves Star Wars and her other work, so I want to give that a read.

I have a bunch more on my list, but Those three stood out as having intent for me.
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in jumping around to new books instead of finishing what I've already started first.
It's so annoying when I go back to something I've started and find I've already forgotten enough detail that I should start over.

#1 goal, only have 2 book going at a time, 1 audio and 1 e-print.

#2 Don't buy anything, between the library and what I already own, I should be set for years. Freebies allowed, if carefully vetted first. Exception, maybe, for Audible versions of my favorite authors if I absolutely can't get them anywhere else.

#3. Track on Goodreads at least.

#4. 52 books. I read somewhere around 55 to 60 this year, but wasn't really tracking.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:11 AM   #41
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Welcome to all the new participants.

Let's hope we all have an enjoyable time reading in 2017!
Old 12-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #42
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alohamora View Post
I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in jumping around to new books instead of finishing what I've already started first.
It's so annoying when I go back to something I've started and find I've already forgotten enough detail that I should start over.
Yes, this happens to me all the time too. I'm currently in the middle of four books, and am attempted to start more! Must...resist...temptation...

-HM
Old 01-01-2017, 03:13 AM   #43
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

After checking calibre at the end of 2016, I now have a number for my goal. It's to end 2017 with fewer than 1137 on my TBR in calibre!
Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 PM   #44
CharredScribe
Addict
CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharredScribe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Aura ONE
So I have finalised my 2017 goals.
  • To complete 50 books
  • To record regularly
  • To rate each book out of 5
  • To limit my new book purchases (setting a limit of R1 000).

ZAR1000 for books for one year is not much (about GBP60, USD70 or 69 euros). But the fact is that I own many (MANY) ebooks and paper books, and I'd like to make a dent before spending any more money.

I finished my first book of the year: When the Music's Over, by Peter Robinson.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:08 PM   #45
bookaho!ic
Evangelist
bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bookaho!ic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo Aura H20 2nd Ed
well i want 50 books this year and to get two more exams towards my diploma (oh and remember to fill in here as well as goodreads lol)
Closed Thread