Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #1
mr9v9
Nameless Being

Angry N96ML Carta+ Screen Lock

Guys I just got this device and I am struggling to figure out how I can get the Pin code lock to work?
I set it lock the device immediately after sleep which is 3 minutes. It goes to sleep but no lock?
Old 11-16-2017, 03:08 AM   #2
filippo80x
filippo80x began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Screen lock does not work by default. You can activate it following the instructions in this post by DoctorWkt (it worked in my Boox Max, so I guess it works an all Onyx devices):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...26#post3096926

The instructions above are for linux. Please, note that there is a little misprint in the Makefile. The correct code should be:

Code:
all: echo unpack pack

unpack:
	rm -rf fs
	abootimg -x boot.img
	mkdir fs
	(cd fs; zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i)

repack:
	(cd fs; find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newinitrd.img)
	abootimg --create newboot.img -f bootimg.cfg -k zImage -r newinitrd.img

clean:
	rm -rf bootimg.cfg fs initrd.img newboot.img newinitrd.img zImage
filippo80x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 04:53 AM   #3
nneo
nneo began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Book T76ML Carta+
Quote:
Originally Posted by filippo80x View Post
Screen lock does not work by default. You can activate it following the instructions in this post by DoctorWkt (it worked in my Boox Max, so I guess it works an all Onyx devices):

The instructions above are for linux. Please, note that there is a little misprint in the Makefile. The correct code should be:

Code:

unpack:
	rm -rf fs
	abootimg -x boot.img
	mkdir fs

repack:

clean:
wow, is there a easier solution like go to play store and download screenlock app ?
nneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #4
viceant
Addict
viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viceant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-t1, Boyue Likebook Plus (T80s), Boyue Likebook Mimas
Quote:
Originally Posted by nneo View Post
wow, is there a easier solution like go to play store and download screenlock app ?
It seems we freakies think all people like things we do (I'm a freaky too, like to code)
viceant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
mr9v9
Nameless Being

Quote:

Code:

unpack:
	rm -rf fs
	abootimg -x boot.img
	mkdir fs

repack:

clean:
First off thank you for the info, second that is a dangerous bit of advice as it is outdated and not confirmed to be a long standing solution. I don't fear getting my hands dirty, but there is a risk with a new device that is not cheap to toy around with.

I have tried an App today from the Play store called Keypad Lock Screen. Previews and works well until the device powers off, then it forgets the there was a lock screen.

Seriously what were they thinking here? Do they not realize that there might actually be scientists who carry around sensitive documents that should not fall into the wrong hands? Do I dare turn on device encryption and test that today as well?

Would a jump to Android 4.4 be possible and show us a fix? All ideas are welcome.

I am also contacting their Support to see what kind of customer service they have for answering this type of question.

Last edited by mr9v9; 11-16-2017 at 09:00 PM. Reason: Update
Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 PM   #6
filippo80x
filippo80x began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr9v9:
is a dangerous bit of advice as it is outdated and not confirmed to be a long standing solution.
The original post is quite old (2015), but actually the solution worked on my Max with 1.8.1 and it is still working with 1.8.2 (may 2017) that is the last available firmware.
filippo80x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
mr9v9
Nameless Being

Quote:
The original post is quite old (2015), but actually the solution worked on my Max with 1.8.1 and it is still working with 1.8.2 (may 2017) that is the last available firmware.
Confirmed!
The method works although I had to modify the original instructions for new users in case somebody comes here from a google search. I use Arch but instructions can be adapted for other Distros, and I already have adb and fastboot tools installed.

First install abootimg. Now grab the latest update.zip for your device here. *Make sure you use the correct file and Android version, and that you are also running the same build!
Open update.zip and extract the boot.img.
Open a terminal in this location and run these commands:
Code:
abootimg -x boot.img

mkdir fs

cd fs; zcat ../initrd.img | cpio -i

nano init.freescale.rc
Comment out this line and save the file:
Code:
setprop ro.ONYX_DISABLE_KEYGUARD 1
Repack the files:
Code:
find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip > ../newinitrd.img

cd ..

On your device go to Applications>Settings>Developer Options and enable USB Debugging. Now would also be a good time to double check or set your pin code lock under Security>Screen lock.
Power off your device, and then hold next page and power for 7 seconds until you see the Boox logo stop.
With your computer if you have fastboot tools installed, type fastboot devices to confirm you are in fastboot mode. Then on your terminal type
Code:
fastboot flash boot newimage.boot
and you should receive this message:
Code:
target didn't report max-download-size
sending 'boot' (3674 KB)...
OKAY [  3.507s]
writing 'boot'...
OKAY [  0.297s]
finished. total time: 3.804s
*If you get a FAILED (remote: : Write partition) Power off, and try one more time until it completes.
Type fastboot reboot and test your pin code lock screen. If all is well then you can use your device! If not then you need to repeat the process with the correct file, or revert using the original boot.img from the zip.

Last edited by mr9v9; 11-19-2017 at 04:49 AM. Reason: Update