Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-10-2015, 05:05 PM   #1
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Transferring library e-books to Glowlight w/o computer

I hope this doesn't sound like a stupid question. Is there any way at all to transfer an e-book from OverDrive to a Nook Glowlight without using Adobe Digital Editions on a computer. I ask because I had a library patron call me to ask. The patron has a tablet and the Glowlight but no PC. I'm pretty sure the answer is no but I thought I would ask fellow MR members just to see if this is actually possible.

faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 06:32 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Not according to the B&N website.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
It doesn't look like it can be done on the Glowlight without a Computer running ADE. However, as the Patron has a tablet, he could probably install the Overdrive app and dowload the book directly to read on his tablet.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:13 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
So far as I know, only Kindles can do this, because Kindle checkouts are entirely cloud-based, and Sony devices, because they include an ACSM verification "thingy".

Speculation has it that Kobo may soon be able to do the same, since OverDrive was bought out. But that certainly isn't the case at the moment.

darryl -- perhaps the patron doesn't like reading on a tablet. I certainly don't.
However, that looks like it may be the only way...

Last edited by eschwartz; 06-11-2015 at 12:16 AM.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:35 AM   #5
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
darryl -- perhaps the patron doesn't like reading on a tablet. I certainly don't. However, that looks like it may be the only way...
Agreed. I also much prefer a nice e-ink reader. It is just a shame that people are placed in this position by DRM, particularly when the DRM really seems to serve no purpose other than to provide a bit of false comfort to publishers and generate revenue for Adobe.
Advert
Old 06-11-2015, 12:54 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually I support DRM in the singular case of time-limited library loans.
Old 06-11-2015, 01:02 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Actually I support DRM in the singular case of time-limited library loans.
I think there is more justification for DRM in the case of library loans, and would not encourage or assist someone with its removal. However, I would not go so far as to say I support DRM, even in this instance. In any case, neither your support nor my own turns ineffective DRM into effective DRM.
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Shhh! We aren't supposed to mention that! Not here at least...
Old 06-11-2015, 10:36 AM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
Thanks everyone! I also suggested using a tablet but she doesn't doesn't like reading on it. She does have an older Kindle, which she said she would try. I felt bad though because she loves reading on the Glowlight and said it was her favorite reader. She seemed happy with the Kindle suggestion though.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The obvious solution is get a new Kindle.