Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: What’s your Covid vaccination status?
I’ve had both shots. 3 3.45%
I’ve had my first shot. 15 17.24%
My first shot is scheduled, but I haven’t got it yet. 2 2.30%
I’m qualified in my state or region and want it, but haven’t been able to schedule it. 10 11.49%
I’m not qualified yet in my state or region. 45 51.72%
Qualified or not, my immune system is compromised and I won’t get one. 0 0%
I’m opposed to the vaccine on principle and won’t get one. 2 2.30%
I’m waiting to see how it goes. 6 6.90%
There’s no vaccine available in my region. 3 3.45%
Prefer not to answer. 1 1.15%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2021, 12:25 AM   #121
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
I mentioned in an earlier post that you don’t get a choice of which vaccines they give you. That is because they only use the vaccine from one pharmaceutical company per vaccination site, and you get whichever one that site has.
That is only partially true here in Colorado. The true part is that you do not get to choose which vaccine they give you. Possibly if you asked, but by default they just shuttle you to whatever station they want you at. The false part is that each site only has one type of vaccine. I got my first shot of Moderna a bit over a month ago. At that time, the only type they had (apparently, by looking around) was Moderna. When I went back for my second shot, they had about a dozen stations dispensing Pfizer and a single station dispensing Moderna. It appeared that the only people using the Moderna station were folks like me ... getting our second shot. I can't say for sure that this was the case, only that it appeared to be the case.

But the vaccination site did indeed have both types of vaccine available on my second trip. The injection stations were color coded and labeled in a very obvious manner.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:21 AM   #122
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
....The false part is that each site only has one type of vaccine....
I was specifically referring to my location, and only my location. I have no clue what is happening where you live. Each state and each county/city do things by their own rules.
Advert
Old 03-02-2021, 01:30 PM   #123
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Just had my first Pfizer shot. My s.o. had one Sunday, so we're both now halfway there.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:26 PM   #124
astrangerhere
Professor of Law
astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrangerhere ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa, Kobo Libra H20, Kobo Aura One, KoboMini
Just got my first shot scheduled for Friday. The Governor finally decided that I am an essential worker, even though I have been in court every week since March representing domestic violence victims.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:37 PM   #125
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrangerhere View Post
Just got my first shot scheduled for Friday. The Governor finally decided that I am an essential worker, even though I have been in court every week since March representing domestic violence victims.
You should have done what I did and got born sooner!

Glad you got scheduled. And glad the governor finally decided that you're an essential worker. Everyone who is exposed through their jobs on a regular basis to high risk populations should be.
Advert
Old 03-02-2021, 03:27 PM   #126
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The J&J/Merck agreement should mean that the one-dose vaccine gets pumped out fairly quickly, so that the pace for vaccinations picks up a lot. Let’s hope. My second Moderna shot is next week.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:00 PM   #127
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Here in Nova Scotia, they put up a website for booking vaccines and it immediately crashed. lol.
Old 03-02-2021, 05:20 PM   #128
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The J&J/Merck agreement should mean that the one-dose vaccine gets pumped out fairly quickly, so that the pace for vaccinations picks up a lot. Let’s hope. My second Moderna shot is next week.
Although much has been written about the difficulty of comparing the various vaccines, it does appear that the two most widely used in my area (Pfizer and Moderna, both of which require two shots) appear to hold a significant advantage over the single shot J&J vaccine. Here's a chart from Statista.com, but in light of all the disagreement about methodology I would view it with some degree of skepticism. The chart was found at https://www.statista.com/chart/23510...ine-candidates.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BA3066A6-0F31-49FC-AA10-5C538772D138.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	185718  
Old 03-02-2021, 06:29 PM   #129
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Although much has been written about the difficulty of comparing the various vaccines, it does appear that the two most widely used in my area (Pfizer and Moderna, both of which require two shots) appear to hold a significant advantage over the single shot J&J vaccine. Here's a chart from Statista.com, but in light of all the disagreement about methodology I would view it with some degree of skepticism. The chart was found at https://www.statista.com/chart/23510...ine-candidates.
The common wisdom right now says whichever vaccine you can get soonest should be taken. I suppose widespread imperfect is preferred to holding out for the best. Biden’s said this evening that every adult who wants to be vaccinated will be able to able to get it by the end of May; I imagine that relies heavily on the J&J jab.
Old 03-02-2021, 07:57 PM   #130
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Although much has been written about the difficulty of comparing the various vaccines, it does appear that the two most widely used in my area (Pfizer and Moderna, both of which require two shots) appear to hold a significant advantage over the single shot J&J vaccine.
In May, there is a study coming out on a 2-dose J&J regimen. If superior, I’m guessing that those who had the one dose will be offered boosters. Eventually the people who got the other jabs may also be told to get boosters, but maybe not as soon.

The headline statistics are for mild illness because the confidence intervals are much narrower than for the rarer, serious, cases that we care about the most. The hospitalization confidence intervals for the allegedly posher jabs (Pfizer/Moderna), and the others, overlap.

Pfizer/Moderna first/second dose intervals, in the U.S., are too short by standards of other vaccines. The only reason the phase 3 testing was done with such short intervals - and it was an excellent reason - was the need to complete the studies before millions more died. But I will take my second shot on the day scheduled.

All in all — there is a great deal to be said for taking what you are given. Don’t assume that which of these is best is settled science. And all protect against the great majority of deaths.

P.S. I hope saying something isn’t settled science doesn’t sound alarming. Medical care is getting much better over time, even though much of what physicians and surgeons do, at any point in time, turns out not to have been the best. I suspect a lot of people don’t like that reality, which is why there is so much unfair criticism when medical advice improves AKA changes.

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 03-03-2021 at 08:54 AM.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:43 AM   #131
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Biden’s said this evening that every adult who wants to be vaccinated will be able to able to get it by the end of May
That's about as believable/truthful as "it will only be for two weeks to flatten the curve".

But I do hope everyone will be able to get the vaccine soon. Just don't believe a politician telling you when that will be.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #132
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post
That's about as believable/truthful as "it will only be for two weeks to flatten the curve".

But I do hope everyone will be able to get the vaccine soon. Just don't believe a politician telling you when that will be.
There’s no reason not to believe him. I doubt he’d have gone out on that limb without a high degree of confidence that the goal could be realized. It’s hard to see what a lie of that type would gain him and it would cost him a lot.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #133
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, iPhone 13 Pro Max, iPad mini 6, iPad Air 2020, Alexa Devices
No bad side-effects for me with my 1st Pfizer shot. I did have a sore arm the day of the shot similar to when I get a tetanus shot, and my arthritis seems to have been kicked into overdrive the last few days, but not sure that is related to the vaccine shot. My friends and family who have had both Pfizer shots say they had little to no side-effects with the 1st shot, but they had some minor weakness and some body aches with the second and said it felt similar to having a mild case of flu. My one friend who has had both Moderna shots now said the same as far as side-effects, but he also had a bit of labored breathing one day and a bit of nausea.

Unfortunately, the governor of my state is cancelling the wear mask mandate and reopening businesses to 100% capacity on March 10. It is a disgusting decision IMO. The medical people in my state, and pretty much most of the local and county leaders, are also upset over his decision. I saw a study over the weekend that lists Texas at the bottom of the heap for getting their population vaccinated. The vaccine rollout has been shanked here due to poor state leadership.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:49 PM   #134
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
The common wisdom right now says whichever vaccine you can get soonest should be taken. I suppose widespread imperfect is preferred to holding out for the best. Biden’s said this evening that every adult who wants to be vaccinated will be able to able to get it by the end of May; I imagine that relies heavily on the J&J jab.
I agree with the common wisdom. A bird in the hand, and all that. As difficult as it was for me to locate a place that wasn't completely booked up, if I was still looking, I'd gladly jump on the first vaccine offered.

About a month ago, the government was saying the vaccines should be universality available by June or July. I'm glad that estimate has been cut down to May, but unfortunately that will still be too late for many people.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:58 PM   #135
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

In a viral video, Dolly Parton is seen receiving her Covid vaccine. Now, before anyone complains, I sure she wasn't meaning any disrespect to those who — for whatever reason, whether it be chemotherapy, AIDS treatments, or other medical issues — are unable to receive the vaccine, but here's what she said, and it is so Dolly:

“I just want to encourage everybody cuz the sooner we get to feeling better, the sooner we all gonna get to being normal. I just wanna say to all you cowards out there, ‘Don’t be such a chicken squat. Get out there and get shot!’”

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 03-03-2021 at 07:57 PM. Reason: VIRAL, not vital. Although some might argue it IS a vital video.
Closed Thread