Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-04-2018, 05:18 AM   #1
theant
theant began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRST1
Footnotes backlink, how to?

Hello, how to get backlink for footnotes? Is there a simple way to do it?
theant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:39 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
For me, the simple way is to finish up the book in Word, convert the footnotes to endnotes (it's a one-click process), and then clean up the html before opening it in Sigil. Word does a splendid job with this particular task.

I do however generally move the anchor back to the beginning of the paragraph or anyhow the sentence, because Kindle especially has a tendency to return the reader simply to the footnote number, which hangs disconcertingly at the top left of the screen. If the endnote is at all lengthy or interesting, the reader might well have forgetten the context.

I also get rid of the superscript, instead enclosing the number in square brackets for visibility. Superscripts irritatingly increase the spacing between the line they're on and the line above, which to me looks sloppy.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Best to keep the code very simple.

This would go in your text:

Code:
<p>This is an example sentence.<a href="#fn1" id="ft1">[1]</a></p>
And this would go at the bottom of your file:

Code:
<p><a href="#ft1" id="fn1">[1]</a> This is a footnote.</p>
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
I also get rid of the superscript, instead enclosing the number in square brackets for visibility.
Using brackets instead of superscript is a good recommendation. It also makes it much easier to click, and it is better for Accessibility reasons (poor eyesight).
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:56 AM   #4
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I have also seen a few ebooks (from a free website, but can't remember whose) which enclose the link in "less-than / greater-than" signs: < >.

I have not decided if this is brilliance or lunacy.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 AM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
I have also seen a few ebooks (from a free website, but can't remember whose) which enclose the link in "less-than / greater-than" signs: < >.

I'd vote for the latter.

When I want to dispense with the superscript numbers, I enclose it in '«' and '»'. I used brackets for a while, but when reading the text I tended to parse it as an array index named by the preceding word The guillemets work for me on English texts, but they would look a bit weird in languages that use them to mark dialogue, such as French - who said '14 (quatorze)'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-05-2018 at 02:39 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2018, 03:55 AM   #6
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex2002ans View Post

Using brackets instead of superscript is a good recommendation. It also makes it much easier to click, and it is better for Accessibility reasons (poor eyesight).
I too add brackets with a plain regex and I have this with Epub3 produced with writer2xhtml (1.6. alpha)

in the references
Code:
  <body>
    <section epub:type="rearnotes">
      <h1>Notes</h1>
      <aside epub:type="rearnote" id="ftn1">
        <p class="note"><a class="noteSymbol" href="../Text/chapter6.xhtml#bodyftn1">1</a> <i>Tamerlan le Grand</i> drame en deux actes de Christopher Marlowe (1564-1593). <i>(N.d.T)</i></p>
      </aside>
       .../...
and in the text, you find this
Code:
 Grand<span class="noteanchor"><a epub:type="noteref" href="../Text/chapter49.xhtml#ftn1" id="bodyftn1">[1]</a></span> avec ...

Last edited by roger64; 02-05-2018 at 03:58 AM.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:31 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
When I want to dispense with the superscript numbers, I enclose it in '«' and '»'. [...] The guillemets work for me on English texts, but they would look a bit weird in languages that use them to mark dialogue, such as French - who said '14 (quatorze)'.
Probably not the best solution because of kerning. Depending on the program/renderer/font, extra space may get added around guillemets.

Or text-to-speech may handle quotation mark characters differently from parenthesis/brackets.

Line-breaking may also be handled slightly differently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post

Yuck!

I can imagine the text-to-speech now:

<1> = "Less than 1 more than"
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I cannot stand subscript link in an eBook. Too small and easily missed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:07 PM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
I too add brackets with a plain regex and I have this with Epub3 produced with writer2xhtml (1.6. alpha)
Hmm, was that a typo or is there a version 1.6 alpha out there? If so, I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm on 1.5 alpha.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:34 PM   #10
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by st_albert View Post
Hmm, was that a typo or is there a version 1.6 alpha out there? If so, I couldn't find it anywhere. I'm on 1.5 alpha.
No typo. This latest has been compiled by Doitsu from the 1.6. source repository (it's alpha alpha but not published). You may contact him.

It's stable -at least for my use- and has two improvements.
- backlink code (as above)
- suppression of the deprecated cellspace attribute for tables (for Epub3) which triggered an Epubcheck warning.

Last edited by roger64; 02-06-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:10 AM   #11
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshni Patel View Post
For Backlinks do you mean to say after footnotes are ready for publish?
If you ask me (unsure), yes the above code is the one you'll find in the xhtml files of the Epub3.

Some corresponding code must be inserted in the CSS sheet to make it work.
YMMV, I use this because I like all the anchors to use the same "normal" style (not slanted):
Code:
a:link {
  color: green;
  background-color: transparent;
  text-decoration: none;
}
p.note {
  margin-top: 10px;
  font-size: 0.9em;
}
.noteanchor {
  margin-left: 5px;
  font-weight: normal;
  font-style: normal;
  font-size: smaller;
  vertical-align: text-top;
  color: green;
}
.noteSymbol {
  font-size: 130%;
  font-weight: normal;
}

Last edited by roger64; 02-07-2018 at 03:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:13 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I know the normal thing to do is to have a smaller font size for the footnotes symbol. But with eBooks, that's a bad idea. What I prefer is something like [1] or[*] at a normal font size. It's easier to see and easier to press.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:30 PM   #13
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know the normal thing to do is to have a smaller font size for the footnotes symbol. But with eBooks, that's a bad idea.../...
@JSWolf

I had previously thought that English was your first language -contrary to me. Well, let me explain : when someone writes YMMV (your mileage may vary) like I did above, it means it will give you an example, just a personal view. I also chose green colour, you may prefer red or blue, It's fine too. It is childish to immediately jump like a shark on the tiniest bit to affirm yourself wihout even trying to assess it on a general way. You miss the point.

You seem to enjoy using this kind of definite statements* for expressing personal views. This harshness, this "fatwa-like" tendency of yours, really puts you in a bad light. After so many years, it's a pity you still seem to be unaware of it. I speak just out of kindness for you.

* like not so long ago for example: "Linux Libertine is ugly", but there are others, not to speak about Epub3...

Last edited by roger64; 02-07-2018 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:53 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

What part of prefer do you take as fact?