Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-15-2016, 02:24 PM   #1
Alex II
Alex II began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ampersand (&) in tags

Hello there,

Is there any way to be able to use the ampersand (&) within custom tags? I created a tag file for genres, but if I use a tag like: Drama & Plays it automatically gets split, but I'd like the tag to be "Drama & Plays".
Alex II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 02:53 PM   #2
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex II View Post
Hello there,

Is there any way to be able to use the ampersand (&) within custom tags? I created a tag file for genres, but if I use a tag like: Drama & Plays it automatically gets split, but I'd like the tag to be "Drama & Plays".
You must have checked the "Contains names" box in the custom column definition. If the box is checked then the separator is an ampersand. If the box is not checked then the separator is a comma.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	145567  
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
Alex II

Hi Chaley,

I just checked, but it wasn't checked. I tried to check and uncheck it but that didn't help :-/

edit: I've checked what happens if I use a comma it won't separate the tag.

Seems like it might be a bug?

I am using v 2.49 on Mac

Last edited by Alex II; 01-15-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2016, 04:33 PM   #4
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt that there is a bug given that it works for so many people, has worked for so many years, and currently works for me in both an existing column and a newly-created column.

The only way I can resolve the mystery is to see the metadata.db file from your calibre library. You can email it to me at calibre_probs123 at charles dot haleys dot org. I need (and want) only the metadata.db file. I do not want the books from your library.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 AM   #5
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev

I got the metadata.db you sent, and the mystery is not solved. It works perfectly for me and the db has all the info in the form I would expect. See the attached screenshots. The first is the library view where you can see the values in the tag browser. The second is the edit metadata window showing the values as they were entered. The third is the column definition.

I note that the genre column is empty; no books have anything in it. Is that the column you are changing when you have the problem? In any event, I couldn't find an example of the problem in that db.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	145572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard03.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	10.5 KB
ID:	145573   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard04.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	145574  

Last edited by chaley; 01-16-2016 at 03:47 AM.
Advert
Old 01-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #6
Alex II

Aha!

I think I found the issue...

If I enter "Foo & Bar, Foobar" in the field directly in the custom metadata it works just fine and returns the tags:
Foo & Bar
Foobar

Things turn weird in the tag editor...
If I add the tag "Foo & Bar, Foobar" and hit enter, I get 3 tags:
Foo
Bar
Foobar

If I add the same tag "Foo & Bar, Foobar" and hit the plus sign I get 2 tags:
Foo
Bar, Foobar
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tag_Editor_and_Edit_Metadata_-_Non-Fiction_Writing_Machine_-___1_of_10_.png
Views:	81
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	145575   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit_Metadata_-_Non-Fiction_Writing_Machine_-___1_of_10_.png
Views:	82
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	145576  
Old 01-16-2016, 06:02 AM   #7
chaley
CC Android & calibre dev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex II View Post
Aha!

I think I found the issue...

Things turn weird in the tag editor...
If I add the tag "Foo & Bar, Foobar" and hit enter, I get 3 tags:
Foo
Bar
Foobar
And mystery solved. There is indeed a bug in the tag editor that raises its head when it is applied to custom columns. The bug is triggered only if:
  • The column does not have is_names checked, and
  • A hand-entered tag contains an & or if the user hand-enters more than one tag at a time.
I have submitted a fix to Kovid that should be included in the next release.