Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 02-05-2016, 07:00 PM   #16
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for all the information. Looking at the other side of the coin, and where this thread started: is there any information on why Charlotte chose to sign herself Brontï? It's possible, I suppose, that Harriet Martineau was mistaken when she wrote this, though she was a close friend.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 05:46 AM   #17
BobC
Guru
BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BobC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook 1, BeBook Pure, Kobo Glo, (and HD),Energy Sistem EReader Pro +
I've looked at the reference provided for the Bronti spelling in the Fields, Osgood & Co edition and it doesn't say that Charlotte signed her name that way, it just refers to her as Miss Bronti (undotted i") but says her handwriting was "exceedingly small, nervous and poor, but quite legible". There are only two references in the book to Charlotte and they are both on that same page and are consistent in their presentation. No other lower case "i" present on the page is missing it's tittle.

Martineau's autobiography was edited by Maria Weston Chapman who I assume took a manuscript and transcribed it for publication, another point at which an error could creep in. However the prefatory note in the US edition does suggest that Harriet was happy with the presentation of the book so perhaps this is a red herring.

Even if we assume that the undotted i (with or without an umlout) is what Martineau wrote in her own autobiography it is not evidence of what Charlotte herself wrote.

Despite all this it seems likely that the book you are working on used some form of "i" so to revert to the original question it would seem right to follow Harry T and jelby's advice to leave it as is.

BobC

PS - just re-read post #8 where it says the reference to her signing her name thus is in Martineau's "Biographical Sketches" I also see in there that Martineau says that Brontë is an abbreviation of "Bronterre" !

Last edited by BobC; 02-06-2016 at 06:09 AM. Reason: Added PS
BobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2016, 01:11 AM   #18
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I think it's Bronto-saurus.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #20
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I think it's not just a matter of spelling changes or wanting to step away from humble origins but the fact that language changes too. There was the great vowel shift around the time when James I had the KJV of the Bible done for example.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2018, 12:16 AM   #21
Pulpmeister
Wizard
Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pulpmeister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
And the Sicilian town Bronte is pronounced pretty much as the sisters' name. Prunty is an Irish name; when I was about ten I knew a kid named Prunty.
Pulpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote