Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
How well does it work outside?

How well does the screen of the iPad work outside in direct sunlight and in shadow? If someone could try that out for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:32 PM   #2
Cyndall
Cyndall is on a distinguished road

Device: sony 505 and 700
I second that request.
Cyndall is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
In direct sunlight it is readable, but you wouldn't want to do it for long. lots of reflection, fairly dim, but, yes, you could use it for a limited time to look up somethig quickly.

I the shade, sunny day, very readable but you would have to position it so that it doesn't pick up reflections. In other words, you cannot move it around. Just find the right position and leave it there.
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:45 PM   #4
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Outside in the shade as I write this. It's fine in the shade if a bit glory. In full sun it's not good. You could read, but it's definitely not something you'd wan to do a lot of.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 PM   #5
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
I've already seen some screen protector films that will help cut down glare. But outdoors in the shade I could see and read my screen fine.

I will say though, the screen is amazing. Colors are beautiful and the viewing angle is the best I've ever seen in LCD, you can pretty much see the image from viewing it on its edge. I can see why Apple went with the IPS.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Do any of you own a Touch or an iPhone? How does the outdoor readability compare with that? I can't really use my Touch in direct sunlight for more than a quick lookup. Even in shade the glare and reflections are a big problem.

I realize this device was most likely intended for indoor use but inquiring minds want to know.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
I found it quite a bit easier to read outside in the sun than the iTouch or iPhone. It's definitely readable as long as the Sun isn't reflecting directly off the screen.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #8
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I posted two pictures of the screen outside and inside at http://dearauthor.com today. I feel like the outdoors use is very limited.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
WOW! In the sunlight, all those fingerprints really do show up.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:49 PM   #10
saniko
saniko is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
yeah, the fingerprints are terrible. They say it has the same oleophobic coating as the iPhone 3GS, but fingerprints rarely ever show up on my 3GS. Can't say the same about the iPad.

I find outdoor viewing with the iPhone to be better than with the iPad. The e-ink devices are significantly better for outdoor viewing.
saniko is offline   Reply With Quote