Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-17-2021, 03:41 PM   #106
Arid
Arid began at the beginning.

Device: K3, PW3, Libra H2O
Cover feature appeared today and is working fine on all my side loaded books in mobi format.
Ad-free version PW3 BTW.
Arid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:42 PM   #107
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by solitarywolf View Post
Upgraded my Voyage (7th gen) to 5.13.6 (the update after .5) and still no cover art for me. My kindle is ad-free. Amazon is so confusing on this "feature".
This is what worries me. I had a jailbroken Voyage that I decided to reset and upgrade to the current software, given that the only thing I really cared about was the screensavers hack to display the current cover.

I don't have the Voyage with me where I presently am, but when I last tried, on May 7th, running 13.5, I had no joy. I'm now regretting killing my jailbreak.
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 03:44 PM   #108
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I love how many are jumping through hoops to get the cover to be the sleep screen when Kobo has had it as a feature for over six years and no need to jump through hoops.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:06 PM   #109
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite7 View Post
I've got the cover feature today.
I also just got the feature. It seems that this really is the day for the wider release of this feature.

I plan to look into the reasons why it does not always work now that I am able to do testing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprite7 View Post
Still, it's not working for like 70% of sideloaded azw3(kf8) books. Tried searching
for logs, got this in system logs: ...
The error message shows an incorrect mime type for the image. It might be that the cover image format is something other than JPEG in that book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 04:28 PM   #110
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
Now Kindle can set current ebook cover as lockscreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I love how many are jumping through hoops to get the cover to be the sleep screen when Kobo has had it as a feature for over six years and no need to jump through hoops.

Well, I mostly read on my Kobo, but sometimes on my Kindle, and having the feature on the Kobo just made me miss it all the more when I'm on the Kindle.

So, when the Kindle wouldn't get the latest update through WiFi, was happy to update manually, only to still be disappointed when the feature didn't show up. And yep, did some hoops in hopes!

However, today, after buying a book, I had the WiFi on, decided to restart my Kindle "in case it might appear" and boom, the feature is there now!

Don't know if it was just today Amazon rolled it out for my Kindle Oasis (9th gen) or if yet another restart did it. But happy to have the feature! Especially as I like the covers on my current series read. And now I don't have to leave WiFi on in hopes...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 05:36 PM   #111
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think Amazon did this to make more money. Most buy a Kindle with ads. So more money for Amazon for everyone who wants this feature. This makes the Kindle even more expensive.
Old 05-17-2021, 09:20 PM   #112
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
The cover option just showed up for me as well. To me, the humourous item is that I use the screensaver directory on my Kobos to allow me to supply my own sleep images. Since I use a sleep cover, I don't see the sleep screen that often and when I do, I prefer my M. C. Escher image collection to the cover images.

OTOH, series is still a no show.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 09:34 PM   #113
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
Quote:
6 years? They had it since launch on the original non-WiFi Bluetooth only Kobo back in 2010.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:53 AM   #114
sprite7
sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.sprite7 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The error message shows an incorrect mime type for the image. It might be that the cover image format is something other than JPEG in that book.
As far as I know it's proper "image/jpeg" (used online service to see mime).

Hope either amazon will fix it or calibre author will add some workaround.
sprite7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 10:42 AM   #115
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
finally got covers after the update as well (10th gen Kindle)! so happy

still no Group in Series, ah well....

my Device Options seem to have moved about, though. Settings -> Advanced Options alsways had Home & Library as first item. now has Device time (which had been hidden somewhere else before?) ...anyone else noticed that?
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 03:04 PM   #116
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by salamanderjuice View Post
6 years? They had it since launch on the original non-WiFi Bluetooth only Kobo back in 2010.
I did say at least 6.5 years because that's how long I've had my H2O. I didn't know if it was a feature from the start or one added in sometime later.
Old 05-18-2021, 03:07 PM   #117
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseous View Post
finally got covers after the update as well (10th gen Kindle)! so happy

still no Group in Series, ah well....

my Device Options seem to have moved about, though. Settings -> Advanced Options alsways had Home & Library as first item. now has Device time (which had been hidden somewhere else before?) ...anyone else noticed that?
With series grouping, you aren't missing a thing since it doesn't work with side loaded books.
Old 05-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #118
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
I do like Kobo eReaders and own two of them myself.

I never thought I'd buy a Kindle again, but now that I have, I find it faster, more consistent with formatting and smarter (kepub has justification issues with punctuation like long dashes if one chooses to use it with Kobos). I do find it's easier to lose date by accident on a Kobo than a Kindle, but that's probably my own klutziness with buttons, particularly on the original Kobo Aura HD. They've probably taken care of that on my Clara.

But the Kindle's niceties are exactly what I'd expect from a vast monopoly that has the money and RD to add them.

And of course those features are counterbalanced by my Kobos' unproblematic permission to do other things I prefer, and by the flexibility and universality of epub.

But I have no illusions about Kobo/Rakuten being a virtuous company either.

(I use my Clara at home and my Oasis at my girlfriend's place on weekends, so I'm not speaking from the vantage of dim recollection; I actively use both.)

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-20-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 09:56 AM   #119
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I do find it's easier to lose date by accident on a Kobo than a Kindle, but that's probably my own klutziness with buttons, particularly on the original Kobo Aura HD. They've probably taken care of that on my Clara.
Having spent nearly 10 years with various Kindles before switching to Kobos, I'm trying to figure out "what data, and how do you lose it?"
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 09:46 AM   #120
gaseous
gaseous began at the beginning.

Device: 10th Gen Kindle, 7th Gen Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle 5
Quote:
With series grouping, you aren't missing a thing since it doesn't work with side loaded books.
Actually, I'd just really like it to sort my amazon store-bought books into series I sideload some but not many books.

Last edited by gaseous; 05-21-2021 at 10:28 AM.
gaseous is offline   Reply With Quote