Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-08-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
crutnacker
Connoisseur
crutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-bookscrutnacker has learned how to read e-books

Device: None
Nook vs. Kindle -- Speed Comparison

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW8aZr7-Hgk

Looks like for now the nook is certainly visibly slower.
crutnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Abulia
Enthusiast
Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Abulia once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: nook
First, it is clear that the Kindle is visibly faster. It's not debatable.

What's interesting -- at least in my case having used the nook -- is that it felt fast enough on its own with no point of reference. The page turns quickly and you read on. It didn't feel slow or out of place.

So it comes down to what an individual user finds acceptable. Having not ever seen a Kindle in person I had no "norm" for what a page turn expectation is. Another question: how fast does an e-reader need to turn a page? Heck, even the nook turns pages faster than I do in real life. Is anything less than instant a failure?

Thanks for sharing.
Abulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-08-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Nitrousoxide
Enthusiast
Nitrousoxide began at the beginning.

Device: None
It looks like the actual eink display is capable of refreshing itself just as fast as the kindle. Most of the delay seems to be between the button press and the start of the refresh. That gives me hope that it is something that can be sped up with patches.
Nitrousoxide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Do we know if it is using the new Epson controller?

Though the Kindle 2 and the Sony 700 use the same controller, my 700 always seems to be more responsive in keypress only mode.When I swipe a finger across the screen to change page it usually responds at the same speed as the Kindle.

This video makes the nook look like it may be on par with the 500/505 line of readers. It did seem to wake up quicker than the Kindle though..I'm going to the store tomorrow and bringing all my toys. We'll see what happens =)
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutnacker View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW8aZr7-Hgk

Looks like for now the nook is certainly visibly slower.
The video shows the difference, but whether this is significant, is a different matter. I swipe my finger halfway through the last line of the page and the page turns by the time I'm at the end, I personally have no issues with the turning speed.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2009, 12:39 AM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
Do we know if it is using the new Epson controller?
The nook™ TERMS OF SERVICE includes:
Quote:
Notwithstanding anything to the contrary in this Agreement, the Software includes software developed by Marvell International Ltd. ("Marvell") and its affiliates ("Marvell Software").
This might indicate that the Nook is using the Marvell ARMADA 166E with integrated EInk controller. The only way to tell for sure will be to disassemble the device (or its firmware).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 12:48 AM   #7
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abulia View Post

What's interesting -- at least in my case having used the nook -- is that it felt fast enough on its own with no point of reference. The page turns quickly and you read on. It didn't feel slow or out of place.

So it comes down to what an individual user finds acceptable.
Almost everyone of the dozens reviewers have said it felt slow to them. Tomorrow night, Mossberg and Pogue may blast that message to the nation.
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #8
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Well they did a firmware update to increase speed & how long it takes to format. The firmware clearly took effect for my device sometime last night when I was charging it. It was clearly faster today. I had a kindle 2 & I would say the page turning is that fast now.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote