Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 07:53 AM   #1
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
Widgets broken after upgrade

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Nook, for which Samsung recently pushed an OS upgrade. It's now running Android version 5.0.2.

Since the upgrade, the Calibre Companion app is demonstrating some issues:
  1. The desktop icon has been replaced by the Android generic icon
  2. The title under the desktop icon has changed to "com.multiple.calibreandroid"
  3. The CC Book Grid widget displays "Problem loading widget"
  4. Within CC, when I open the "Read" grouping, it shows all books, instead of showing a isread, isnotread breakdown
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 11:02 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The only explanation I can suggest is that the upgrade broke the CC installation file (the APK). I know that this isn't a satisfying explanation, but given that hundreds of people are running Android 5.0.* without problems, it is the only one I can think of. It has also happened before, although rarely.

So, what to do? I assume you are running CC V4.1.4 from Google Play. I just pushed the V4.1.5 CC upgrade; you should see it in a few hours. Installing the upgrade might fix the problems because it overwrites the existing install.

If the upgrade does not fix the problems then the next (and only) thing to try is an uninstall/reinstall. Fortunately V4.1.5 contains the option to backup CC's database as well as the settings, so a reinstall won't be as painful as it was. We can go into how to proceed if we need to.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
jdege
Connoisseur
jdege began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Tablet
I wasn't too worried about losing the settings, because I have calibre-server configured to run as a daemon on a Linux box at home, and could download anything I needed.

So I uninstalled and reinstalled, and it fixed all of the cosmetic issues I'd reported. Then I realized I didn't remember the IP/port of calibre-server. After I remoted in to my machine at home, and restored the settings, I was able to download and read my current books without a problem.

Thanks.
jdege is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android