Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The Darkness of the Dreams - Musing on the music of Warren Zevon

This started out a comment from another thread and rather than hijack the thread, I started a new one.

Warren Zevon created his last album after being diagnosed with terminal lung cancer. It's definitely worth listening to. Yet Death was haunting him the last couple of albums before he did The Wind.

To get a feel for the darkness, here's a tracklist from his final three albums that forms a set on a theme. If you a one of the few with a complete set of his works (like me), I'll include the album they are from. (Play them in order.)

Don't Let Us Get Sick - (From Life'll Kill Ya)
A Fistful of Rain - (From Life'll Kill Ya)
I Have To Leave - (From My Ride's Here)
Knockin' On Heaven's Door - (From The Wind)
My Ride's Here - (From My Ride's Here)
Keep Me In Your Heart - (From The Wind)

They form a flow greater than each individual song (at least to me).

Enjoy. RSE
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Sorry didn't mean to instigate the "hijack" the cup thread, but I so love this man's music.

I bought several copies of "The Wind" and gave them to friends. As you say he was dark....but I kinda like dark but the courage and meaning and lust for life that he put into that last album is simply incredible. There was a documentary on it that I saw somewhere about the making of that album....I'll have to try and find it.

For now here a couple of links.

The Wind:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wind_%28album%29

Tribute album:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enjoy_E...f_Warren_Zevon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warren_Zevon

The last song on The Wind:

Man!

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert