Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 11-06-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Chinese Union Bible with Direct Verse Jump

Somebody has asked me to make a Kindle version of the Chinese Union Bible with my Direct Verse Jump navigation method. They say this translation is in the public domain, so no worries there.

I do not speak, read, etc. Chinese, so please let me know if the attached file is any good. I obtained the source from the Internet and hope it is what should be.

In order to use it on the Kindle, the Kindle must be hacked to display Chinese characters. I am not sure if this can be done or not (especially, with the new International Kindles). If you get this to work please share.

This same file can be used with the Mobipocket Reader.

If you do not know what the Direct Verse Jump is. You type any verse in the search window in the following format: Book abbreviation, period/dot, chapter number, period/dot, verse number. Note that the verse number is not required (then it defaults to verse 1). You will find all book name abbreviations in the Table of Contents. After you enter this string in the search window you need to press on "Find" *twice*.

For example, "Rev.5.5" would open Revelation/啟 示 錄 5:5.

This file also has a hyperlinked Table of Contents. In addition you can jump from book to book by pressing the joystick right or left.

This is a free book and you can distribute it freely, please do not charge for it. If you wish to give me a donation, PM me.
Attached Files
File Type: prc ChineseUnionBible.prc (3.12 MB, 2698 views)
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have come across the hack that would allow Chinese characters on the Kindle 2 International.

First, http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/jailbr...tional-kindle/
Then, http://blogkindle.com/2009/10/unicod...rnational-too/

Last edited by osnova; 11-13-2009 at 10:14 AM.
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #3
fangbing
fangbing began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
Somebody has asked me to make a Kindle version of the Chinese Union Bible with my Direct Verse Jump navigation method. They say this translation is in the public domain, so no worries there.

I do not speak, read, etc. Chinese, so please let me know if the attached file is any good. I obtained the source from the Internet and hope it is what should be.

In order to use it on the Kindle, the Kindle must be hacked to display Chinese characters. I am not sure if this can be done or not (especially, with the new International Kindles). If you get this to work please share.

This same file can be used with the Mobipocket Reader.

If you do not know what the Direct Verse Jump is. You type any verse in the search window in the following format: Book abbreviation, period/dot, chapter number, period/dot, verse number. Note that the verse number is not required (then it defaults to verse 1). You will find all book name abbreviations in the Table of Contents. After you enter this string in the search window you need to press on "Find" *twice*.

For example, "Rev.5.5" would open Revelation/啟 示 錄 5:5.

This file also has a hyperlinked Table of Contents. In addition you can jump from book to book by pressing the joystick right or left.

This is a free book and you can distribute it freely, please do not charge for it. If you wish to give me a donation, PM me.
Do you have the same Chinese Bible in EPUB format? I just got a Sony PRS-600.
Thanks!
fangbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangbing View Post
Do you have the same Chinese Bible in EPUB format? I just got a Sony PRS-600.
Thanks!
I am still working on getting all ins and outs for epub. For now you can use Calibre to convert it automatically to epub. Let me know how it works.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #5
g_loh
g_loh began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad
Somehow SAFARI does not allow me to download the Chinese Bible by clicking the link? Please help. Tks
g_loh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2010, 04:32 PM   #6
newuser
newuser began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have try the Calibre to convert the Bible which in PRC to EPUB for my PRS600. I can see the memu in Chinese but the content is ????. Do you have any hints for me? Or do you have the Chinese Bible in epub. Thanks
newuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 01:36 AM   #7
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

The new Kindle 3 supports Chinese, yey!
Old 09-01-2010, 07:18 AM   #8
waihungchan
waihungchan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I downloaded and installed the Chinese Bible into my Kindle 3, but the Direct Verse Jump function can't be used. After entering the book and chapter (e.g., rev.5.10), only a blank page appears. Help...
waihungchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:01 AM   #9
bible.for.kindle
bible.for.kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hi all,
I confirm kindle 3 can display Chinese. After some testing, I create a Chinese bible specially formatted for kindle 3 device. You can find the url at:
http://sites.google.com/site/bibleforkindle/
I'll look at osnova's method to see if it's possible to add direct verse jump to it.
Cheers,
John
bible.for.kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:34 AM   #10
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
to all the newbies in this thread ....

Welcome to mobileread ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:53 AM   #11
leo4jc
leo4jc began at the beginning.

osnova: Thanks for your work on CUV. I like the verse-by-verse layout. Is it possible to remove the extra space in-between each character (like the version by bible.for.kindle). I know it is probably because the source text you got has space in-between due to historical reason. But I like that you are using the modern punctuation version (vs. the old punctuation version by bible.for.kindle).

Secondly, I try "rev.5.5" but got a message: "Your search can not be completed as this item has not yet been indexed. Please try again later." What have I done wrong?

Thanks bible.for.kindle and osnova for your work on Chinese Bible for Kindle!!
leo4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:54 AM   #12
crystone
crystone began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3/Moto Dext
Thank you, osnova, you done a very good for me. The ChineseUnionBible you provided is in Transitional Chinese, not Simplified Chinese. Do yo have a idea to provided a Simplified Chinese one? prc or epub
crystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
bible.for.kindle
bible.for.kindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Wink

You need to try "Rev.5.5" instead of "rev.5.5" for osnova's conversion. Also you need to wait for a couple of minutes before the search index can be built. osnova kindly shared some "hint" on the DVJ magic with me. I'll looking into this feature when I get more time to see if I can implement in the versions hosted at:
http://sites.google.com/site/bibleforkindle/

I'll produce a version with one verse per line soon. It seems someone prefers that layout.
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo4jc View Post

Secondly, I try "rev.5.5" but got a message: "Your search can not be completed as this item has not yet been indexed. Please try again later." What have I done wrong?

Thanks bible.for.kindle and osnova for your work on Chinese Bible for Kindle!!
bible.for.kindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #14
leo4jc
leo4jc began at the beginning.

Smile

Thanks John. IMHO "rev.5.5" or even "rev.t.t" would have been nicer!
leo4jc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #15
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Glad that my version helps people. I have zero knowledge of Chinese, that's why I am limited as to what I can do with the Chinese Bible. All I did was collect a source file from individual books that I found on the web, clean it up and do the best I could with my original DVJ.

leo4jc, are you saying all spaces between characters should be deleted? If that's it, I can do it. If some spaces need to be retained while others deleted, then I won't be able to do it since my lack of knowledge of Chinese.

I can make the abbreviations lower case.

Last edited by osnova; 10-02-2010 at 10:44 PM.