Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: all
Win a Kindle DX contest

Hey.
Just a short announcement, eReader Central is holding a "Win a Free Kindle DX" competition. you can check it out by clicking this link.
Matt.
Matt Palen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How very disappointing to see that this contest is only open to people in the US. Could you not offer an alternate prize for the benefit of the other 95% of the world's population?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Matt Palen
eReader Central
Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Matt Palen has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

The only reason that it is not opened world wide is because Amazon won't ship the Kindle outside the US. If you can come up with an idea how to bypass this I am fully open to thinking this over.
Matt.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, I appreciate that. I was just thinking that perhaps you might offer an alternate prize for people living elsewhere. But perhaps it is Amazon who are giving you the Kindle to give away as a prize?

I just find it fraustrating to see "geographically restricted" contests such as this, given that web sites such as yours have a world-wide readership. I do appreciate, though, that such things can be difficult at times.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #5
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Palen View Post
The only reason that it is not opened world wide is because Amazon won't ship the Kindle outside the US. If you can come up with an idea how to bypass this I am fully open to thinking this over.
Matt.
Be careful what you promise Matt; the reason that most contests aren't open to people outside the US is that if you open it up to other countries you may put yourself under their contest laws. It's hard enough trying to keep up with the 50+ state laws in the US when you have a contest, never mind making sure that you don't run afoul of the Danish kuntspil and hasardspil laws.

*I'm kinda making that last bit up, but you get my point.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #6
Matt Palen
eReader Central

OK, you convinced me

Amazon isn't the one giving the prize - we are.
I am willing to open this contest world wide, if an international user wins the prize I will give them an Amazon gift certificate equivalent to the price of a Kindle DX, meaning $489. that way if they know someone who lives in the states they can have it delivered to where they live.

Appreciate your input.
Matt.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:56 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Good for you! Thanks!
Old 06-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Weatherman - Thanks for the advice. I will take that into our considerations. From my previous experience with this, we haven't encountered any problem with international contests. I may be a bit naive but I like to think of the world as friendly in general.
Matt.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Sporadic
Banned
Sporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with othersSporadic plays well with others

Device: Kindle 1
In regards of having to include a picture to get into the contest, do you care if we blur out our face?

I've never felt comfortable posting a picture of myself on the internet.
Sporadic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Hey Sporadic.
Basically I would say that I need the picture but I understand your point, so I won't let that get in the way of your participation. A blurred picture would be fine.
Matt.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
Good afternoon Matt,

This looks like a great contest, but your request for a picture leaves me a bit perplexed...

I kind of agree with sporadic and don't really feel like posting my picture on the web. If this rule is to avoid numerous entries by the same person, the exception of the blur picture will most likely take care of this attempt.

I was also wondering, on the 25th, you will draw from all the reviews the winner... it's a "luck" contest, not a "who's got the best review" contest. Thanks !
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 01:56 PM   #12
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Hey SteGar.
First of all, regarding the picture issue you can see the answer I gave Sporadic. I understand your request and a blurred picture would be fine.
As for the winner, it is clearly stated that the best review will win. Meaning, reviews will be graded by creativity, effort and how useful they are.
Note that there is also an option to submit a video of a review of anything else related to eBook readers for that matter - that kind of format can substantially increase chances of winning since it is consideref "more effort" than just writing a review.
Hope this clears things up.
Matt.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #13
SteGar
Enthusiast
SteGar doesn't litterSteGar doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
It does indeed !

Thanks.
SteGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #14
Matt Palen
eReader Central

Just wanted to note, because I'm getting asked this all the time - There is no connection between this contest and the MobileRead contest. You can participate in them both. The only difference is that our contest is based on the best review - we don't just pick out a name so you can improve your odds of winning, but this also means you need to put some more effort in it.
Hope this clears things up.
Matt.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #15
edbro
Banned
edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.edbro is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: iPad4
I've got my fingers crossed for this one. I am drooling over the new Kindle. I already have a Sony so when I win this I will be gifting it to my father, who also is drooling over them.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote